Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

on 7 May 2009
The Lego Police Station has always been one of the cornerstone products of the Town/City range, and this new version is no exception. In fact, it probably trumps every preceeding set, its that good!

We'll get the negatives (such as they are) out the way sharpish. The modular construction is fine, and like the Castle stuff, allows for various reconfigurations. However, there are a lot of smooth tiles used at various contact points where parts of the building fit together (notably the watchtower and interview room) which means the structure doesn't hold together as sturdily as it should. If knocked, this means whole parts of the building come away. This can easily be remedied by using studded beams in these areas, which is something I will be looking into myself. There are also a large number of decals to apply. This is a personal thing, but I much prefer tampographed bricks. Adding stickers not only limits the reuse of said bricks in other creations, but it also prohibits it as the stickers increase the size of the brick (albeit by fractions of millimetres), making it awkward to fit next to non-stickered bricks should you wish to create your own models.

Right, now thats out the way, lets focus on what this set does have, which is a ton of features and details! The play value of this set is immense! The jail cells and watchtower are excellent and thanks to a nifty bit of engineering, you can stage your own jail break as sections of the wall can be flipped away. The cells themselves are superb, with graffiti, toilets, mugs and beds. Clearly, these are cells for some of the worst elements of Lego City, as they are open to the elements! There is some nice detailing with manual keys pegged up, as well as an electronic key pad for the cells, plus a storage rack for the handcuffs!

Elsewhere, the main station has two garages for housing the panda car and (my favourite) the dog handler's van (complete with fearsome police dog!). Inside the garage is a tool stand comprising a spanner and hammer for those routine maintenance jobs. Up the flight of stairs leads you to the desk sergeant, busy tapping away at a computer (with keyboard and flatscreen, no less!) and next to him is the top copper, sitting at his desk doing...stuff. There's also a safe and water cooler on this level too!

Above them is the interview room, complete with mirrored wall! The interview room has an adjustable lamp (perfect for good cop bad cop scenarios!), as well as a notice board with various mug shots. Those watching the interview can help themselves to a coffee from the coffee machine (a shame there's no doughnuts included!).

The vehicles themselves are excellent. Whereas previous Lego Police Stations have given us a reductionist version of sets available separately, these stand up well to their `sold separately' competitors.

With seven minifigures and a police dog, there is ample scope for your own police adventures. A superb set, and despite the relatively high price tag, remains excellent value for money. Highly Recommended!
on 21 April 2009
I bought this set for my son who is 6. The set is incredibly detailed and of great quality. It took us both a long time to work through the colour instruction booklets, which take you visually step by step through each stage of construction of the police station, cars etc.

The toy is great value for money as there's hours of play to be had with a Lego set of this size. My only gripe is that there are so many tiny, tiny pieces it's impossible not to lose some of them to the vacuum cleaner!
on 4 May 2010
I bought this for my seven year old son with Christmas money he got from grandparents. He is delighted with it. He built the station in one day with help from his nine year old brother. They are seasoned Lego users but certainly the construction info is beautifully clear. It is a very comprehensive piece of kit and seems good value perhaps because of all of the accessories and the attention to detail. We have a lot of Indiana Jones and Star Wars Lego but I think the boys would agree that the Lego city kits are more fun to play with after building. I love the little toilet rolls (daft but they just make me laugh) but all the office stuff and cars are great. I would recommend it highly to anyone who has enough space to accommodate it.
on 3 February 2009
My 6 year old son (who loves lego) managed to construct this police station with very little help. After completing the model he has spent a long time playing role play games using the police station with his older brothers. There are lots of details in this model including a water cooler in the office and all the characters have different faces, which my children enjoy. For a child who enjoys lego this is a lovely set.
on 2 November 2008
its great i saved up for it and i love it i love all of the equipment. i really love the water cooler and the escape for the prisoners. the cool things in the jail cells are the they have little toilet whitch are really cool i give this product five star ten out of ten 100 persent
its great.
on 1 February 2009
My 5 year old son got this for Christmas, built it with his Dad on Christmas Day and has played with it every day since! Some pieces are a bit fiddly but overall it is great for imaginative play. The only thing perhaps missing is a helicopter landing area - there is a police helicopter in the Lego range which we had already.
on 21 October 2009
My 7 year old grandson was delighted with my choice of present for his birthday - and even more pleased when I was happy to help him build it! It was quite a challenge (especially for me) but the instructions were excellent and the finished result impressive. We particularly liked the cells - they had doors with keys and even toilets. We also liked the coffee machine and water cooler in the canteen. There were police vehicles, policemen and criminals included in the pack. It has provided hours of imaginative play and was a bargain from Amazon.
on 18 May 2010
This toy was bought for my six year old son for Christmas. We spent lots of fun time making up the police station and my son has been playing with it ever since. He won't let me break it back up!! It IS time consuming to make but that is part of the appeal. Once made, it is fairly solid and doesn't come apart too easily in normal play.
on 3 January 2010
Again a winner from Lego. We got it for your son's 7th birthday and he loved building it and play with it after...
on 15 October 2009
I love this set. This is the first kit I have bought for my 6 year old son and I was worried about whether he would enjoy putting it together but every morning when he got out of bed and every afternoon when he returned home from school the first thing he headed for was his Lego City Police Station. In fact our dining room table has been completely taken over by the set for the past month.

Everything fits together so beautifully which is very reassuring and I have been amazed at how quickly my son picked up the very clear instruction booklet that came along with the set. He could follow them quite easily by himself just needing a little bit of help here and there although I stuck my nose in as much as possible as I was getting as much enjoyment out of making it as he was.

Ok bits fall off now and then which may cause frustration but it is made out of lego lol so what would you expect and it's not that difficult to put back together again.

Some may feel it's smaller than expected, but it is so highly detailed that I think it is well worth the money that we paid. We took our time putting it together and therefore it has been good value for money. It's excellent for fine motor skills, reasoning skills, concentration skills and of course such good fun.

My son has plenty of lego that he can just sit and create with and he has really enjoyed and got a lot of satisfaction out of making this kit and following the very clear instructions.