on 12 April 2016
I am not even half way through yet but I felt compelled to comment on Ramadan's succinct yet poetically articulate language. It's almost as he himself has been inspired by the Prophet's gift of 'Jawami al Kalim' ;)
on 9 July 2012
This was the first ever biography I had read about the Prophet (pbuh) and as someone who is looking deeply into Islam and, iA will convert, I have gotten much out of it.

Tariq Ramadan writes clearly and in "layman's" terms so anyone whether Muslim or non-Muslim can understand the history of the beloved Prophet (pbuh) from his beginnings up until his passing and beyond.

This book has given me a solid foundation upon which to research and learn more about the beautiful and sadly misunderstood Way of Life that is Islam.

I look forward to reading more of Tariq Ramadan's work, may Allah reward him.
on 20 November 2013
Great writing style, deep content often missed out by other writers. Hard back is a bonus as is the price. New to subject of Islam, great introduction into history of Islam and its true message of peace.
on 25 July 2014
This book does very well in focusing on the sometimes overlooked spiritual aspect of Islam. It tries to incorporate that spirituality into our modern Islamic lives. This is something we can all gain from.
on 23 April 2016
The only accurate biography about Muhammad and his followers is the very first text by Ibn Ishaq, his Sirat Rasul Allah, which is translated in English as The Life of Muhammad by Guillaume. Ishaq's original was censored by Ibn Hisham, but Tabari used Ishaq's original text for his own History.
Read them both, as well as the relevant hadith by Bukhari and Muslim.
Guillaume made the fatal mistake of using the title God for Allah. Allah is not Almighty God.
Ramadan also makes the fatal mistake. Allah is not God.
Muhammad was the messenger of Allah, not Ilah-God.
This is absolutely clear in the Qur'an, Hadith [traditional stories] and Islamic law.
In Arabic, the Qur'an and Sharia, Almighty God is Ilah and Allah is ‘the god’ in English.
Almighty God is Ilah, Ar Rahman, the Beneficent, the Most Merciful, the Most Gracious.
Therefore the Qur’an was named The Criterion, the criterion between good and evil.
Qur’an 41:84 It is He Who is the only God in the heaven and the only God on the earth.
Ibn Kathir: This means He is the God of those who are in the heaven and the God of those on earth.
Qur’an 43:84 It is He Who is Ilah, God in the heaven and on the earth.
Qur’an 19:65 Lord of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them, so worship Him and abide patiently in His worship. Do you know of any other with His Name?
Ibn Kathir: Ibn Abbas says, ‘There is no one named Ar-Rahman (the Most Beneficent) other than Him, Blessed and Exalted is He. Most Holy is His Name.’
See Quran chapters 19, 21, 25, 26, 36, 37, 41, 43, 67, etc.
Allah is always and only called Allah in Arabic.
Qur’an 6:3 And He is Allah in the heavens and on the earth.
Ibn Abbas: He is the One who is called Allah in the heavens and on the earth.
The Qur'an states that the religion of Allah abrogates the religion of Abraham.
The Shahada, the Muslim pledge of faith, denies God:
La ilaha ill-Allah, there is no God/god but Allah.
The sentence comprises a denial and an affirmation.
Negation: 'La ilah' negates all forms of God or god.
Affirmation: 'illAllah' affirms that there is only Allah.
Before you can say ‘I believe in Allah’(illa Allah) you have to reject or disbelieve in any other god or God (La illaha).
Question 179 Islam Q&A [...]
Questions 114, 6703, 11819, 20239, 20815
on 6 January 2011
Having read a number of biographies on the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), Ramadan's is widely accessible, short and easy to read. It provides an insightful look into key events in the Prophet's life with thoughtful reflections. Portrays the persona of the Prophet in a deeply moving way, bringing out the character of Muhammad as first and foremost a man, then a Prophet. I would definitely recommend this book to both Muslims and non-Muslims alike.
on 5 October 2013
Loved this book so much, the last chapter made me cry & I'm not a softie, I gave this to my young cousin to read and she now has a better insight into our prophet's life :)
on 6 September 2008
Ramadan has always been an inspiring and thought provoking author. This book does not merely give an plain account of the life of the Prophet but potrays his life as a model which we can all learn from- be it Muslim or non-Muslim. The book is very easy to read and appeals to a broad audience.
on 5 July 2012
This book is one of the most important books I have ever read. I like to think that it has changed me for the better. It highlights the most fundamental teachings of Islam (which, sadly, have been almost entirely forgotten!), such as love for all creation, forgiveness, humility, equality, and sincerity. For the first time in 21 years of my life, I realised what a sweet and gentle path Islam really is! The style of writing is a bit too academic for me, though. Personally, I would have preferred a more casual approach, but nonetheless I'd say that Prof Ramadan succeeded in getting his message across. A must-read for anyone who sincerely wishes to know more about the most influential figure in the history of mankind - Prophet Muhammad.
on 24 February 2009
I just want to congratulate Prof Ramadan for writing such a beautiful account of our Prophets amazing life. The biography had me in tears most of the time. Realising the suffering, the pain and the belief in the one above that the Prophet (pbuh) carried with him makes you realise how we are wasting our lives in trivial things.
The book brings extrordinary emotions within the reader. The Prophet (pbuh) life written in the most excellent way.

Its a read for believers and non believers...