VINE VOICEon 25 July 2007
I chose this over the Freecom, as it was reported as having problems with Vista. This on the other hand was Vista Compatible out the box, so I didn't have anything to lose.

Received the product in two days, and found a remote control with batteries, tv tuner, mini aerial with magnetic base and cd software/drivers.

Extremely easy to install. Plug in. Install the software from the CD (Do not let Windows perform this) and choose to install Total Media viewing software. I personally use Media Centre that came with Vista Home Premium. It works straight away.

About the service, with the rooftop aerial, I got every channel the household gets. It is preferable to do this, to make sure you can "see" as many channels as possible, even if the signal from the supplied aerial is not so good.

WIth the supplied aerial, after positioning I found it only works well next to a magnetic surface. So I chose my magnetic grill speakers, which the aerial sticks to. I got a strong signal for every channel except ch4, itv, itv2. These are either choppy, or load a black screen. Occasionally, I get ch4 and itv, but erratically.

The product is finished in glossy white, which feels cheap, but looks good. The lid is initially tight, but may get lost in the future, so look after it.

In all, it works well for the price point. I can record shows, and the quality of channels is quite good, especially with widescreen signals. The supplied aerial is very hit or miss, but if you position it correctly, you will be sure to get a decent picture. Just make sure you scan for all the channels with a rooftop aerial first, then use the supplied antenna to find the best position for watching.
on 30 May 2008
It was either this one or the Lupo model, also selling on Amazon. I opted for this one as I saw it advertised by a company that only sells tv sticks and they rated this stick as a really good product. I have to say that the picture you get from an external aerial is excellent though this may depend on how close you are to your local transmitter and the quality of your aerial. The DVB-T picks up 48 channels, 25 of them t.v., 13 radio. Arcsoft software looks good and works well. However, I cannot edit saved t.v. footage/films in Windows Movie Maker. I have e-mailed ArcSoft and am waiting for a reply on what might be the problem. Could just be the tick of a box in the software somewhere? The remote is very good, sturdy and wellbuilt, feels and looks good too. Overall I am pleased. Beats my analogue ATI All in Wonder hands down for picture quality. Gave it a 4 because of the problem with Movie Maker.
on 18 January 2008
I recieved the Geniatech USB freeview reciever very quickly and rushed upstairs to see if it worked. I first tried it on my laptop. It was easy to install and the software and drivers were up and running in no time. I first tried to use the provided aerial but I didn't recieve any signal at all. YOU REALLY NEED AN OUTDOOR AERIAL FOR THIS TO WORK!

No problems for me there though as I already had an outdoor aerial in my room. Quickly plugged that into the reciever and scanned for channels using Windows Media Centre. After 2 minutes of scanning I was up to 60% done and NO CHANNELS! All of a sudden, BAM...70 channels. Everything WORKED PERFECTLY. I was able to easily record programs, even series if I wanted, browse the guides, switch channels, everything.

The bundled software works just as well as Windows Media Centre, but I suggest using WMC just because it looks a little prettier and I think it's a bit more user friendly.

I only have 2 issues with the Geniatech USB Freeview reciever:

1) The remote control didn't work out of the box. I read the instructions over and it said not to let windows install drivers when you first plug the USB stick in to your computer. I reinstalled the software and drivers from scratch and then the remote worked fine!

2) The USB stick is a bit tacky and white. It also feels quite weak and easily breakable. When it's plugged in, it feels loose and hangs out a bit too much. Doesn't seem to affect the image though so it's not a major problem.

Also, I've used an extra connection from the back of my computer to the scart socket in the back of my TV so I can have a bigger picture than on my 19 inch monitor.

Overall, for this price, why not? Some freeview boxes and recorders cost double the price of this and if you can output the image to a TV from your computer then there's hardly a difference. Well worth it!
on 8 January 2008
what a revelation, electronics and software for a PC that works from the off- and works well. I had been thinking of getting a Freeview box with integral disk. However with this small piece of kit I can watch and more impotrantly scedule recordings to disk( not simultaneously unfortunately).
creating DVDs of my wifes favourite programmes was then easy using nero to burn disks. the only negative thing I can say is that here in mid-wales it does not lock on to BBC3 BBC4 although all other freeview channels are fine- 62 signals in total detected, including usual radio suspects and shopping channels. To get these I had to use the indoor ariel usually used with our conventional Freeviw box.
I run this and the supplied media software on an intel dual core desktop and am pleased I had opted for a 450Gb hard drive and an integral DVD WRITER.the mpeg files work out at around 1.4Gb per transmitted hour when recorded and saved to hard disk.

FILM4 TO DVD, who could ask for anything more for under £20.

P.S. correction may 2009: the problem with BBC3/BBC4 noted above is because of the transmission times of the different channels that share frequencies. To get the BBC chanels it is necessary to scan for channels after 7p.m. and this is not restricted to bbc output
on 10 September 2007
Item comes as described casing looks ok and work well with Vista, only issue I had was the install, I had to do a work around as the driver kept coming back with incompatible messages etc. oh and the ariel is useless you will need a different one or plug into home ariel, if you are buying as a portable TV for your lap top don't bother it won't work unless linked to a strong home ariel.
VINE VOICEon 22 January 2008
This is a very simple, easy to use usb tv ariel. I couldn't be happier with it. Simply plug it in, load up the software, position the ariel and you're away. It has great features and was well worth what I paid for it. Vista supports it and overall it's quite a neat little bundle really. Much cheaper than some conventional computer tv products. Make sure that you stick the ariel onto something magnetic because it will boost the signal and give you a better picture. If however, you're unhappy with the tv signal you recieve I would suggest taking a larger indoor ariel (the kind you get with a portable tv) and plugging it in. I've done just that and get all the channels and never get any breaks in signal.
on 5 June 2008
Firstly the CD that was supplied was faulty and I could not install the driver until i downloaded it from their website, I then attempted to tune in the channels over the next few days, obviously the aerial provided is not going to pick up any channels unless u live right next to a transmitter so i bought another one ( amplified indoor aerial from asda £15, my block of flats doesnt have an external aerial ) picked up a couple of channels but no picture. Then after trying a different aerial positions it just stopped picking up any channels... then i found out that u cant get interactive on these usb tuners anyways which is what i wanted for the tennis. I ended up buying a freeview box and hooked up the aerial and HOORAY all the channels with great reception... Not sure if the unit was faulty but it didnt work for me. Gonna try and return and get refund.
I bought this product mainly to use as a digital video recorder on a laptop connected to my main television.

The product is easy to install (follow the instructions carefully about the device driver installation...) and the supplied software packages feel professional.

The recording function works well producing standard MPEG files that can be viewed through either the supplied software or through Windows Media Player. It looks as if recorded TV takes about 1Gbyte per hour of recording.

Because of the area I live in, I haven't attempted to use the supplied aerial, however when connecting to the normal roof aerial I get all the channels that I would normally expect to receive and the picture quality, even when using a 32" television as my monitor, is everything that I could have hoped for.

A couple of few points on this product over another I have recently tried:
- It supports Vista and dovetails nicely into the operating system
- The supplied remote control is different (and better) than the one shown in the picture above. However, to use it, the USB device does need to be pointing towards you, which can be a problem on the average laptop. Having said that, there is full functionality using a mouse instead (I use the Logitech EX101 wireless keyboard and mouse which work very well)
- The recording is much better quality than on other products that I have used
- The EPG interface is really nice, with the ability to show a full 7 day view.

The best thing is that I haven't had to go out and buy a PVR to replace the DVD recorder that I have and, at under £20 including delivery, it's a steal.
on 29 June 2009
Unfortunately CD supplied did not run - needed to download driver and software ( took over 1.5 hrs over broadband) once downloaded took 10 minutes to set up but works very well through an external aerial getting 65 channels!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2008
Brought this on the 4th, selected normal delivery and it came on the 5th, always a plus to begin with and installed it with no great difficulty. Picked up no signal on the supplied connection but when plugged into my signal booster, gets a perfect signal on all freeview channels. The stick itself feels fairly cheap but does the job. I can't really rate the software supplied as I use it with media centre, which works very well with the devise, especially the recording features.

Worth the money and probably a fair deal more.