Customer reviews

Very funny as well
on 26 April 2015
Very good
on 12 December 2014
What a sweet love story.
on 16 July 2017
One of my favourite LGBT love stories.
on 9 June 2008
Aw - this is a great British "coming out" film. I loved it! The characters are all terrific - I love the mother and the girl next door! And the two leads are brilliant. Brilliant actors and very believable in their roles. It's so well written and acted I would very highly recommend it. It's a beauty!
on 5 April 2004
This is undoubtedly one of the best films I have ever seen.
It centres on the relationship between two young men - Jamie and Ste - and how it develops throughout the film. From being class mates and neighbours in the beginning, to ending up as much more than just friends. The two main actors are superb in thier roles as they struggle to come to terms with who they are and what they want from life, themselves and each other.
The supporting cast of Linda Henry as Jamie's mum is truly unforgetable and the range of emotions she goes through from the start of the film when she wonders why Jamie keeps missing games to the end where she finally accepts the fact her son is gay is an absolute treasure.
The scene where Jamie tells his mum he is gay and her acceptance of it is one of those scenes that every person who is thinking of coming out and every parent in the same situation should see. It is done with skill and compassion but does not over dramatise the emotion of the moment. Whilst I am not naive enough to believe that this happens every time a child tells thier parents they are gay, it is about the hope that yours will accept and understand that you are still thier child no matter what.
To back this film up, there is a soundtrack that is brilliant. It manages to tranfer 1960's music on to a modern day setting without it seeming out of place and complements each scene perfectly. The haunting melodies throughout the film are a wonder in themselves but the best song in my my opinion still has to be 'Make you own kind of music' which makes the film as delightful as it is.
It is a magnificent film that can't be praised enough and should give hope to all those who are thinking of coming out.
THIS IS A TERRIFIC FEELGOOD FILM.
on 29 December 2003
'A Beautiful Thing' is an adaptation of Jonathan Harvey's award-winning play of the same name. It follows the lives of two seemingly run-of-the-mill "lads" on a rundown, yet ultimately inspirational, South London estate. Jamie and Ste are nextdoor neighbours - Jamie's father isn't on the scene, and Ste probably wishes his wasn't, as he gets beaten black and blue by the monster he calls "dad" and his bully of a brother.
The two lads find a kind of mutual comfort in each other's company. You can tell that they are at different stages of the road to fully accepting the fact that they are different from the other lads. Jamie is slightly more 'advanced', Ste - still very jumpy even thinking about the fact that he might be gay.
Without spoiling what is - to be fair - a plot which can be worked out from not too far in, this film is not about gay sex at all, nor is it about shoving issues dealing with homosexuals' rights into viewers' faces; this film, and the play before it, are about getting to see that the innocence ALWAYS devoid from the portrayals of gay relationship is very much alive in these two guys'. Jamie's mum, played by Linda Henry, and her boyfriend in the film, are both superb.
It is touching and moving, and yet brazen enough, in the right places, to bring the realities of living in such an estate, regardless of the lads' relationship, to the forefront of the viewer's mind.
'A Beautiful Thing' is definitely worth buying and watching - it is a fresh look at same-sex relationships - debauchery-less, and the acting is poignant and very well delivered. If I were the person to dish out the Oscars, it'd get one! Although the actors playing Jamie and Ste are not gay - the "straight" mannerisms they use go a long way to try to stamp out the idea that all gay people are screaming queens, (who do, of course, also have a rightful place in today's society - as shown in the film).
This truly is 'A Beautiful Thing' wrapped up in a DVD.
on 10 November 2003
This has GOT to be by FAR the absolute best gay film I have seen yet! With the coming of age of the 2 lads Jamie (Glen Berry) & ste. (Scott Neal) I was a bit reluctant to buy it at first because I wanted something with a more stronger storyline & more dedicated actors willing to engage in more intimate scenes, but to my surprise (after my mood had changed) I was so delighted when I sat and watched it for the first time, only to have my heart melted from such great acting by the 2 lads.
A GREAT BIG 'WELL DONE!!' to both of them. You certainly got my vote!
In spite of not being as long a film as I'd hoped for, I give this film 10 stars.
My 2 favourite scenes are : 'Peppermint Foot Lotion' & 'The Woods/Forest Chase' which concludes with the 2 lads well & truly, romantically bonded!. (just like 2 peas in a pod)
I can't say I'm a big Mama Cass fan, but after watching the film about several times over by now, all her tracks from the film keep ringing in my head, like music to my ears.
What a very pleasant experience that was.
on 28 November 2003
A touching heart-warmer. I highly recommend, you won't be disappointed!
on 14 April 2009
Well what can you say about this but 'ahhh' and bless!!! It's great that the back drop is a council estate in London where two boys simply fall in love. No stereotyping here for the boys which is good to see. The two main parts are played really well. I love the way their youth and characters are portrayed, it's so honest. The film pulls you in as they are both likeable lads and the supporting characters, Sandra, the girl next door, the hippy boyfriend also make the film watchable. I love the interaction between Jamie and Sandra, I think they really got the balance right on how Sandras character would react and that Jamie although upset, knew he was gay and that was that.

I noticed in one review someone mentioned the accents and have to agree, this is how people talk in that neck of the wood. Coming from around this area, they didn't sound forced or acted, they just sounded natural.

I love the little touches like the foot cream and the discussion about frottage, little bits of humour that really make the film warm. The whole British feel of the film, the in a sense simpleness, but getting across so much, makes this film a joy to watch. There was no pretensions, no deep hidden meanings, it's a touching, warm love story that doesn't fall in to cliche, just shows it as it is. Top marks for that.

At the end I wanted more. I was left worrying about Ste's dad, how things would get on, but I decided to just enjoy this happy ending as it was. It was refreshing and good to see. I think this is a great example of a British film doing what they can do so well and even excel more than other countries at, making a every day life film, keeping it real and making it entertaining.

Well worth watching again and again!