Package Quantity: 1|Style: Safety Adaptor|Change
Price:Ā£7.75+ Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 January 2017
This review is for the Masterplug ARCDKG Safety RCD Adaptor

Reason for buying
I bought a couple of these to fit to a couple of greenhouse bar heaters rated at 55 and 120 watts, though the RCD plug will handle 13A and a FAR higher wattage draw than I'm using them for. I wanted protection against a heater developing a fault, or worst case a fire. these give me the peace of mind.

Detail.
The units are small enough, and have the standard "test" and "reset" buttons on them. There is a small window on the front, which will go orange when the plug is in an operational state. The orange shown is not a light, but more a sliding piece of card or plastic, and can be quite hard to see through the limited sized window.
The plug does get warm near the top during use, but is not hot by any means.

It is difficult to say that it would trip when a fault occurs, as heaters are working fine, so I can't comment on it's effectiveness. I hope, as it is made by Masterplug(a well known and recognised brand), that it will do the job when needed. That's why I chose the Masterplug over other(maybe cheaper) models.

Thanks for reading. This is my experience with the RCD to date. If anything occurs, I will update this review accordingly.

Would I recommend it to friends... YES
Would I buy it again... YES I would.

Thanks for reading, and I hope some information was of use to you.

If it was, I would appreciate you taking a second to click on the yes button below "Was this review helpful to you?
on 10 February 2013
I bought this for my son to use in his shed when using hedgecutters. My husband went round and used the hedgecutters, cut through the cord, nasty bang and flash of blue light but he was not hurt at all. Marvellous!!
11 Comment| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2017
This RCD adapter was delivered promptly, and well packed. I owned a Masterplug RCD decades ago and after a few years it blew up when switched on. This new one looks completely different, so I hope the design has matured. I am afraid that only time can tell on this point. I echo the criticism that the on/off indicator is merely a visual flag, but expect this has been done to minimise costs. A pity that a humble LED indicator has not been used; one might have thought this could have been even cheaper than a mechanical device. An LCD would certainly have a wide viewing angle and would show up at a distance. The viewing angle of this indicator is very restricted and its indication is somewhat indistinct. I use an LED torch to overcome this difficulty, when examining it. I have encountered no difficulties either in plugging into the 13A outlet, or when plugging the appliance into the RCD. A thoughtful feature are the recesses at the rear on each side, which assist grip when pulling the RCD out of the socket. It works flawlessly when pressing the test and reset buttons. So for now, I am very satisfied with this purchase, which at today's prices represents very good value for money. I shall return to this review, should the least problem be experienced.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 April 2017
These are brilliant. We use these safety rcd's with our power tools and also have another plugged in between the freezer and archaic fuse board system in the garage just in case of a power surge or similar (really don't want the garage catching fire!).

These work perfectly and we were recently extremely impressed when the electric chainsaw caught on its cable and the rcd triggered immediately. Lucky escape... Have ordered a couple more to make sure we are not short of this invaluable item now!
on 19 February 2017
We bought this Masterplug as advised by the company who sold us an electric blanket for our cat basket. It is absolutely ideal for this purpose - most especially as we noticed that when our kittens outgrew their small basket, they had chewed through the electric wire that went to the socket - fortunately without incident! The flex on the larger blanket that fits in the larger basket is much more robust and I would be surprised if they managed to chew through it - but it gives us peace of mind to know that this adaptor would 'kick in' should they try to do so! It comes with the facility to test the device by pressing a red button and it cuts out in a millisecond - enough to save a life.
on 14 November 2016
Bought to replace my old RCD adaptor which stopped working all of a sudden. I don't know enough about electrics to know if I even need to use this as our consumer unit has just been replaced so is completely up to date with the regs with RCD protecttion etc. I use this for mowing the lawn and plug it in to the extension lead just for added peace of mind. I give it three as although it does work, I find the reset button really hard to press until the orange light goes off. Don't know if I have a faulty one though maybe
on 16 February 2017
It's an RCD safety plug so I don't think gushing words seem appropriate - but it does the job and having owned it for at least 18 months it has been used quite a lot. It's not flimsy and puts up with the abuse thrown at it in the garage and garden. So its a good item that i am happy with.
on 6 April 2017
Fitted between the washing machine and its socket. This is a good place to use this as the area can get wet and it would cause all the sockets to switch off at the consumer unit ( fuse box)
Worked well and cut out only the washing machine when this exact scenario was caused by a leaking pipe. This meant that all other appliances stayed on whilst the wahing machines shorted out...my fish didnt freeze in their tank and the freezer did not defrost.
Does what it should, giving me reassurance with a "high draw" garden shredder (13 amp fuse needed) of 2200+ watts purchased second hand via eBay, so thought after popping the fuse once & the house circuit breakers twice, needed a double indemnity piece of safety insurance in form of an RCD directly connected to the unit to hopefully prevent the house tripping out by stopping it at source (that's the theory, ..the reality is than an extra RCD might not be as quick off the mark, nor sensitive as that of the house breaker).

I'm glad to say that having located the manual online Im less likely to blow any more fuses, but its good to have a new RCD for the summer!

Its a simple 2 button job, the orange "eye" isn't necessarily easy to see unless staring directly at it in good light but it is capable of use to a max current draw of 13 Amps , max load of 3120 watts.

There are other brands, but Master plug have a longstanding business in the uk, so brand recognition & confidence made it simple to pick from a list of branded units, I've a lot more confidence in masterplugs quality control than others šŸ˜‰
on 20 November 2016
Great service great product and a good price. Used in conjunction with a electric overblanket. For such a small initial outlay, Ā£7 if memory serves, it gives added piece of mind and adds an extra layer of safety to said overblanket/electrical appliance.