Format: DVD|Change

on 17 March 2008
Imagine Romeo and Juliet with out all the tragedy and here you have Romuald Et Juliette a film about love crossing the classes - he is a slender, elegant, upper middle class business man, pampered from his elegantly coiffured head to his italian leather clad toes, he doesn't know the meaning of self sacrifice and she is Afro-french mother of many with not enough hours in the day to think about her self, she is a "make do and mend "sort of woman - their lives seem destined never to cross until the day she uncovers a scheme to frame him for the collapse of the company he chairs. Together they unravel the plot and in the process fall in love, he learns how to care of others and she learns how to be cared for.

I hunted high and low for this film for years, harassing anyone who set foot in France to see if they could buy it for me and finally it has been released.

If you enjoyed Amelie and are looking to dip your toe further into the pool of French cinema I highly recommend this movie.
11 Comment| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2015
I love this film - it is so funny and such an unlikely coupling. Juliette is a larger than life mother of many who cleans for the company in which Romauld works. One evening she overhears something detrimental to Romauld and starts to help him out. As I hate spoilers, I'm not going to go into detail, so in a nutshell, this is a romantic comedy that will make you laugh out loud and then go 'awwww' Well worth a watch if you like classic French cinema.
on 14 July 2008
Like the other reviewers I saw this film years ago, late one night, on my own. It just stayed with me and for years I looked for it and told my friends about it. I was so pleased to find it and share it with my husband who despite not liking romantic type films thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, the plot is far fetched but I forgive that for the brilliance of Daniel Auteuil and Firmine Richard.What a wonderful but unlikely pairing, which works. The warmth of the film is wonderful. Watch it and enjoy!
on 28 December 2014
Daniel Auteuill is one of my faves, and I was happy that this film was a good one. Just jump in and enjoy it.
on 15 September 2015
This is a fantastic interracial love story. If you want to see something that leaves you with tears of happiness this is it! Love this film!
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2009
I was given this as a gift from a good friend for christmas. It's one of her favourites and she thought I might like it, and guess what I loved it. It's a gentle comedy/love story which also allows us to see the world from 2 different viewpoints. Firmine Richard and Daniel Auteuil are both superb and the supporting cast are excellent and who can't fall in love with her wonderful family. It reminded me of the early Capra comedies which Hollywood no longer seems to be able to produce. Look out for Firmine Richard in the great 8 women and Daniel Auteuil in lots of things but especially La Reine Margot an absolutely fantastic film.
VINE VOICEon 2 October 2007
I've just watched this film again after receiving the DVD - I loved it the first time I saw it, years ago, but I'd forgotten what a delicious, happy and life-affirming film it was. Definitely a wet afternoon indulgence!
on 17 January 2010
I am so delighted oher reviewers feel the same way as I do about Romuald and Juliette.I first saw it in 1990 on a late night television slot and spent ages trying to find the video in the UK, which I finally sourced at a shop in the National Theatre arts complex. I have watched it about twice a year when I want to be cheered up. I too ahve givfen away copies. I now have the DVD. Of course it is a fantasy where class, race (and weight) barriers are crossed and it would not happen in real life, not all three anyway! Movies take you into another world and this fairy story does just that. If only life were like this. It is pacey, funny and brilliant and the actors do the story justice, and Firmine Richard is just lovely and gorgeous. Hollywood would not know how to handle such a story. This movie will take the blues away.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2009
This a bizarre but very charming film. Its social observation is quite cliched, but rather sharp. The plotline is over the top, but plausible. It's a warm and heartening film, that is a bit silly, but you forgive it. It manages to be romantic, and almost political. All I can really say is, it's very French!
on 22 December 2007
It's a gentle feelgood film, perfect if you are looking for a bit of stylish light entertainment.
Totally unbelievable, but that's the beauty of cinema!
Usually i don't enjoy this level of sentimentality in a film but it worked for me, i was just thinking what a mess Hollywood would have made of the same script.