Customer reviews

Lady's Bridge
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 August 2017
Hawley should be more popular. Period. Listen to Valentine and you cannot fail to be entranced by Richards music. Buy as many of his albums as you can, even if you have to sell all your Roy Orbison, Elvis, Beatles albums to raise the money, as you won't need them with these jewels instead. It was great to see the Gretsch on the album cover. I presume its the one Richards dad bought him - a great story behind that guitar. His love of music shines through The best singer/songwriter/guitar player in the world today ?..well...he gets my vote.. I'm spellbound..
One person found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 March 2008
The proudly working class, Sheffield-born, Sheffield-residing Richard Hawley returns with another album of ballads and unashamed romanticism. Lady's Bridge, the follow-up to the Mercury Music Prize nominated Coles Corner, picks up from where the last album left off, featuring a whole set of songs with a timeless, nostalgic feel all held together by Hawley's rich, crooning vocals. This is, almost without exception, a magnificent album from start to finish. It opens particularly well; Valentine and Roll River Roll are both gorgeous string-laden romantic classics, Serious is a country-tinged, skiffle-influenced toe-tapper and Tonight The Streets Are Ours is reminiscent of 1950s reverb-drenched pop magnificence.

Richard Hawley wears his influences on his sleeve, whether it be Johnny Cash on the pleasant stroll of a song that is Dark Road or Roy Orbison on, well, pretty much most of this album. Vocally, he is closest to Edwyn Collins but, from time to time, you hear a little bit of Elvis creeping in there as well. The only one negative on this album is that it is one song too long. Although it's quite a good track, the very last song The Sun Refused To Shine really doesn't belong on Lady's Bridge in terms of structure or feel and finishes the album on a low rather than the almost constant high which runs throughout this very fine piece of work. If you enjoyed Coles Corner then you will almost certainly love this album. If you've never heard Coles Corner or, indeed, any Richard Hawley, but love timeless, classic, romantic music - well, this album is for you.
on 30 January 2017
Richard Hawley is probably one of the most underrated artists that we have in the UK; great songwriter, great melodies and lyrics and superbly produced. A man who supports his own home town by recording all his music there, very talented, widely renowned within the music industry, could be said to be one of UK's music best kept secrets.
on 11 March 2013
I first came across Richard Hawley when I heard a couple of his tracks in my local café. It seems everyone already knows about this man's genius, and now I am discovering his work as well. His music is sublime: hints of rock 'n' roll, folk, 60s, punk, but also quite original. The guitar playing is sensuous and laid back: listening to Roll River Roll is like lying on a warm beach and letting the sea lap over your naked body! Other tracks like Serious and Tonight The Streets Are Ours just make me want to get up and dance. I am truly smitten.
on 13 January 2014
I have to say I suspected 'Lady's Bridge' to be a euphemism, but it's an actual bridge in his native Sheffield. So you have a Yorkshireman making American music from the 50's - 60's. But it's not as awkward as it sounds.

I bought this for my girlfriend for Xmas. She loves Richard Hawley but didn't know which one she wanted, but knew she liked the 50's stuff. I read Amazon and Wikipedia reviews and this seemed to be the place to start. She was very pleased with it - right up her street and, as she played it constantly over the Christmas week, I got to hear it a lot too. Warm, easy to like arrangements and intelligent lyrics work well with the retro feel of the sub-Elvis, Roy Orbison feel of the songs. Great stuff for regretting the 5th mince pie. You don't have to be a fan to like this. Luckily, she is.

Thanks Richard.
on 4 March 2016
I bought this for myself years ago as a starting point for Hawley`s solo music. Chose this one partly because of the cover and listening to samples of all the tracks I then went on to buy the back catalogue ...all excellent and different in each way. Hawley is a songwriter and musician of an exceptional talent, so I bought another copy for a friend to introduce him to Richard Hawley`s music, sadly I think he may have missed the point being an old "folkie".
on 4 June 2012
There was a good feature on Richard Hawley that made me think maybe this would tick my box. Well, it is pleasant enough. Kind of rockabilly meets glam with syrupy lyrics and slightly raspish vocals.All through the initial listens I kept thinking it reminds me of someone. And that itches away at the edge of my skull while listening. Close, but like Clinton, not the whole cigar. Not without merit but not something I would keep.
on 12 May 2011
Enough has been said about mr. Hawleys peculiar but beautiful voice, about his choice of repertoire and about his musicianship. So let me just say that I'm sure that if you loved Coles Corner (I did) you'll love this one too. It's a worthy follow up album that adds little to what we already have, but hey, you can't get enough of something this good, right? So four stars it is (I gave Coles Corner five) on the basis of one small point of criticism: Mr. Hawley tends to become predictable in his choice of rhythms and melodies, as beautiful as they might be. For instance, the leading melody line in 'Dark road' is a repetition of 'The ocean'.
on 16 October 2009
Having bought his new album, and been astounded that I had not heard him before I looked around and decide to purchase Lady's Bridge. I was not disappointed the album is not quite as good as his latest but you do get glimpses of his brilliance his vocal range is wide and the warm guitar rythmns are great.
This is to be enjoyed after a hard day at work sat by the fire with a suitable accompaniment in a glass to be fully appreciated. I will certainly keep an eye out from now on.
on 25 April 2010
I am delighted with this purchase. I had heard Richard Hawley on radio & TV on quite rare occasions (perhaps I'm listening to the wrong shows!) Anyway, didn't know which CD of his to choose but plumped for this one and love it. I intend to buy his other CDs some time soon. He has a really pleasant voice to listen & relax to. At least one track reminded me of Morrissey but don't let this put you off if you are not a Morrissey fan as Richard's songs aren't as depressing! Don't get me wrong-I adore Morrissey & The Smiths also!
I suggest you sit down and relax whilst listening to this CD so you can really take it in and enjoy it.
2 people found this helpful