Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Exclusive playlist - Elton John Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Audio CD|Change

Christian soft rock group Casting Crowns has taken the Christian music world by storm thanks to two strong previous releases. And their third project should continue the trend.

The group has captured audiences with challenging lyrics and great music. There's nothing earth shattering with either, but both work together to create some great music.

The disc starts off with the rock anthem "What This World Needs." Think "If We are the Body" but faster. The song reminds us that the world needs Christ more then it needs 100% perfect outward appearances. After all, the heart is what counts.

The title of the album comes from the idea that somewhere between hearing what we should do during church (the altar) and driving away (the door), we loose the certainty and conviction we had. I'll just say been there, done that. That theme is explored in two songs. The first is the title track, which really explains the theme better then I ever could. And it's rather convicting to hear my struggle put into words. The second is the next track, "Somewhere in the Middle." In fact, the phrase "between the altar and the door" shows up in this song, too. The song is a challenge to get out of the luke warm world we too often live in.

As with other Casting Crown's CDs, this one features a couple worship songs. And, once again, they don't grab me. There's nothing wrong with "I Know You're There" and "All Because of Jesus," but they aren't as special as some of their other tracks.

My two favorite songs are back to back. "Slow Fade" is a challenge to all men to not fall away from the faith. It really drives home the importance of constantly standing guard because no one crumbles in a day. It's a slower song with a haunting sound. And it ends with lead singer Mark Hall's daughter singing "Because Little Eyes." It's enough to give me chills.

Appropriately enough, the next song is "East to West." As you might guess, this song talks about forgiveness. It explores the difficulty we have in accepting God's forgiveness and the weight of shame we try to live under. As with so many of their songs, the lyrics are powerful.

Musically, there are few surprises here for the long time fan. But that's just fine because their music is wonderful.

I'm surprised I haven't worn out Casting Crown's first two releases I've listened to them so often. This one will certainly suffer the same fate.
on 6 January 2009
Like Third Day, this band hasn't yet produced a bad album. But while Third Day has great lyrics matched with a rockin' sound, Casting Crowns, I think, is gentler, and more contemplative. I play this album a lot whenever I'm going through a tough patch in my faith, or when I simply need to know that others have gone through similar patches. It never fails to uplift me.

Be warned, though, that some of these lyrics can really get under your skin. On the first hearing of 'Slow Fade' I was reduced to a sobbing heap! However, I consider that a good thing. ;)
on 3 September 2007
I have Casting Crowns two previous albums and was eager to get my hands on this. It did not disappoint. The lyrics are just as good and they will ask just as many questions as the first two did. You may have heard "East to West" on the radio. It is such a beautiful song and it will tell you the truth - that God loves you. But so will all the other songs and I can't pick a favorite although the last one is definitely among them. This is an album that will challange your faith and leave you wondering if you are on the way to the alter or to the door. And that is what any good christian cd should.
on 8 December 2007
With amazing lyrics & wonderful bass lines this album had me hooked from the first track. The variety of styles makes sure you don't get bored and the content of the lyrics gives much food for thought. I'd not heard this band before but they're definitely now on my gift list!
on 17 June 2016
Really great album, new to discovering our faith and this is helping immensely on our journey. I am finding every time I have an issue or thought that troubles me one of the songs pops into my head and is appropriate to the problem. I have purchased 3 other Casting Crowns albums and found every song touched me in one way or another. Keep up the good work Casting Crowns, we will definitely be buying more albums.
on 21 July 2012
I found the lyrics fantastic but the music a little too heavy rock sometimes, this spoiled the track. I have more than a few Casting Crown albums and I rate this one with only three stars. sorry but you could as a group do much better I know.
on 24 February 2010
My second Crowns album. Again many good tracks, although the background spoken vocals on a couple of tracks are mildly irritating. The tracks would have been better without them.
Best tracks The Altar and the Door and I know You're there(great female vocals)
Mark Hall certainly has a God-given gift when it comes to inspiring music.
on 25 May 2014
Only recently been introduced to this band. Now in the process of collecting all of their albums! The cd was delivered in immaculate condition, no damage to the casing as I have found with some cd's ordered in the past. Recommend this to other Amazon customers.
on 19 January 2010
Excellent CD, I love the music style and the lyrics. My favourite song is "I know you're there." It just touches my heart.
on 2 April 2014
All the albums of casting crowns I have found to be excellent Christian music all manner of worship and help is given some guidance within the songs they have wrote. Excellent buy No trouble in delivery and are new