Customer reviews

The Hills Have Eyes 2 [DVD] [2007]
Format: DVD|Change

on 29 July 2017
Cant coment on film itself had loads of deep scratches unwatchable.
on 22 October 2017
Great film!
on 27 March 2017
Yes, I hate lazy horror remakes as much as the next fan of the genre. However, when it came to the (‘original’) remake of the Hills Have Eyes, I was actually pretty impressed. I guess I wasn’t the only one as it seems to have spawned a sequel… which I also watched.

I guess you could compare part 2 to ‘Aliens’ and part 1 to ‘Alien.’ Of course the major difference was that BOTH ‘Alien’ films were awesome whereas here, just adding soldiers and guns doesn’t automatically make it better. The first film showed us what happened to a family when their camper van broke down in the middle of a desert and ended up at odds with the psychotic locals. Now, some time later in the same desert, a team of young – and not that particularly experienced – soldiers are on a training exercise. Guess what happens to them?!

So our young recruits start getting attacked and picked off one by one in classic slasher style. You may think the fact that they’re armed with guns and the locals have melee weapons gives them an advantage. It doesn’t. Like I say they’re VERY inexperienced, almost to the point of it being a little unrealistic how quickly they go down. However, part of the story is that they’re not that good at what they do, so I guess I can let that one slide. Unfortunately, part of the problem with having all the characters dressed the same in their army gear makes them very difficult to tell who’s who – especially when one dies and then you realise it was a different soldier. Not only this, they’re all rather forgettable and you can hazard a guess which handful will make it all the way to the final reel as they’re the only ones with vaguely identifiable character traits.

Sadly, it’s not just the people we’re supposed to root for who have problems (dare I call them ‘heroes?’). The mutated rednecks are just as bland. They’re not that scary and the make-up and gore isn’t up to the standards it would need to be to really stand out. There’s a bit of gore and some nastiness here and there, but – again – nothing that you haven’t seen before (and better!) if you’ve seen much of the horror genre.

I may sound like I hated it, but I didn’t. The problem is that it’s just the very definition of ‘average.’ It’s not bad, just completely forgettable. There are too many horror clichés in here to really make it work well and it’s not a patch on either of the originals. Plus, if I have to hear someone say either ‘We’re going to get through this’ (or a variation thereof) I may just hurl the remote at the TV screen.
on 6 October 2017
'The Hills Have Eyes 2' is a sequel to the 2006 popular remake. It is about an American army who go the desert to search for a group of missing scientists. But once there they start getting hunted and murdered by another group of mutants. The story in this film is nowhere near as good as the original's because it lacks in suspense and not too much happens other than the army climbing rocks and going underground. I was also unsure who I should be rooting for as no one was particularly all that likable. It is a lot more gorier and violent than the original/remake but I don't see how that it supposed to make it any better. The directing and acting was good along with some nice cinematography and underground sets. Overall, this is still a fairly entertaining sequel which is worth a watch, but I do think this sequel could have been a lot better.
on 4 July 2017
OK. So. I have seen the original film a couple of times, long before the remake was made, and although for its time it was a little shocking, as other reviewers say it was used as a narrative in loads of other films in the meantime. So cannibal movies, like zombie movies, have been done to death.

I wasn't bothered to track down the remake or this sequel, I found it for sale ridiculously cheap so thought what the hell.

As the opening credits roll, what is going on behind them is certainly pretty graphic, so one can expect a fairly horrific adventure. It provides a few example of blood and gore, but to be honest nothing special or gripping.

For diehard fans of violent films, I would expect you to find it a disappointment like I did.
on 5 July 2017
Fun.
on 9 February 2011
I didn't really think that you could make a decent sequel to the first HHE, it was really good and I thought it showed all the creatures had to offer. How wrong I was. This sequel is actually very good, and for a horror this good to be set a good half of the movie in the blistering sunlight is absolutely amazing. Gotta give it to them for that. This also really shows the creature's dark home - the caves - in its closed, tunnel-like form, which I guess is what we wanted to see in the first movie. And boy does it show it... this film is a chilling, horrible, helpless, and quite frankly disgusting sequel - just what I was after!

PS I have no idea why this got such BAD reviews! Maybe I just love horror movies, and thought this was rather good. Something tells me people are getting genuinely disturbed by this film's content (It is worse than the first one), well don't watch it then. I like these horror movies, I like the setting, I like the character interaction, and I find the creatures properly monstruous, but I love the way it plays on the fact that these 'monsters' are ultimately humans, as we saw in the first HHE there was the girl monster who saved the baby's life. If you can watch this sequel without closing your eyes, you'll love it!
on 9 November 2011
As good as the first film is this is bad! Very bad. Rarely will you see such a poor sequel then this. Such as shame as the first one was very good. The acting is awful. A special elite unit are sent to the sight when one by one they are picked off by the deformed creatures, the monsters look no where near as good as the original and you feel no relationship with any of the characters, in fact alot of them you don't even get to know atall. What i also felt was a little bit sick about this was the film seems to try and build up to the big scene which is the rape scene towards to end, it's as if the film is made around that being the shocking part and the bit to watch! I found myself just wanting them all to get killed off so i could turn it off. Unlikely they will make a third after this mess although once again it is left with a bit of a cliffhanger. Overall, don't watch it, it seems rushed and does'nt work at all. 1 star.
on 21 April 2012
This film went as far as a sequal can go really, the story was pretty good, the acting was as you would expect given the situation the characters are in, the locations are great, the level of gore and gross out scenes was great, it was a fun enjoyable movie HORROR fans will love it! its probably the best thing WES CRAVEN has written in ages thats worth watching..
on 16 January 2009
AUDIO: English DTS-HD MA 5.1, English 5.1, French DTS 5.1, Italian DTS 5.1, Spanish DTS 5.1, Portuguese 5.1, Spanish 5.1
SUBTITLES: English, Chinese, Danish, Filipino (Tagalog), Finnish, German, Indonesian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
RUNTIME: 89:58 mins.
REGION: A, B, C
EXTRAS: Deleted Scenes, Alternate Ending, Gag Reel, Mutant Attacks Featurette, Birth Of A Graphic Novel - The Hills Have Eyes: The Beginning Featurette, Exploring The Hills: The Making Of The Hills Have Eyes 2 Featurette, Fox Movie Channel Presents: Life After Film School With Wes Craven Featurette

Video Quality: * * * * / * * * * *
Audio Quality: * * * * / * * * * *

Many will probably disagree with me, but I liked THE HILLS HAVE EYES 2 better than the 2006 remake and much, much better than the 1977 original, despite being panned even more by critics than the remake.
Yes, many characters are still annoying as hell here (Michael McMillian, Jacob Vargas) and there are MANY errors in the behavior and depiction of the soldiers, from flagging their buddies, to the color of their equipment used.
Craven and his son supposedly wrote the script in a month - and it shows at times, especially in the dialogues. Characters often times don't exactly act in a believable way.
There's a lot that THHE2 does get right though: the pacing I found better than in the 2006 remake. No time is wasted, we get straight to the point and are quickly dropped into the action. The climax is extremely cruel and brutal, and the hopelessness is even more apparent. Sometimes it is very sadistic and at times extremely gross (porter potty scene).
Overall not a bad job by German director Martin Weisz, who only directed one full length film prior, GRIMM LOVE, in 2006. Good performances by Jessica Stroup, Daniella Alonso and my personal favorite Flex Alexander as the Sarge ("No president has told the truth since Truman!") who made me laugh quite a lot.
Not a 5 star film for quite some flaws, but still a very good horror flick.