on 14 October 2014
Warm, informed and with attention to relevant detail, interesting and enthusiastic, professional and concise, these are all qualities required by an expert broadcaster. Geoff Hamilton had them all and more, and he was also a consummate gardener; he is much missed.

In this collection of three of his Gardeners World series the Amazon blurb is to the point. Each is quite different from the other two, and yet they are linked by Geoff's clear professional delivery and warm enthusiasm. Technically speaking all are in old-fashioned 4:3 standard definition and mostly mono sound, and some compression artefacts are sometimes visible from squeezing three hours of video onto each DVD.

My favourite is the earliest series about the Ornamental Kitchen Garden which was obviously filmed for at least three years, yet broadcast over just six weeks around October 1990. The whole of it is linked together with a seamless script that uses great planning and forethought to neatly illustrate how each particular part of the garden was designed, created, and grown through to maturity. The garden is a typical size for behind an average detached house, and so the ideas are feasible, and Geoff shows us how to do it without fuss or drama, while keeping it all simple and economical. It is not quite the same as the VHS we recorded at the time, but there is nothing significantly different except for the DVD generally having better picture quality.

The pair of Cottage Gardens, for a Gentleman and an Artisan, are each slightly smaller and more detailed, such as might be found behind a semi, and make the most of the space. When I visited Barnsdale a few years ago with our Garden Club I was surprised to see how small they are in real life, crowded with the planting and features, when compared with how they appear on the screen. Where these come into their own is the imagination in the structures and choice of planting, and the ability to maintain a good show of colour for such a long time, while still being practical and economical.

The Paradise Gardens approach the topic from yet another angle, and again there are several fresh ideas combined with his usual sound advice and good practice making it interesting from start to finish. But this is my least favourite part of the collection.

In a nostalgic way I think that with their excellent structure these more traditional programmes, despite being made a couple of decades ago, compare very favourably with the more hi-tech modern gardening programmes.

May I suggest you ignore the slightly lower definition (mostly on the earliest DVD) and smaller 4:3 picture, and just enjoy the brilliant gardening.
18 people found this helpful
on 27 January 2017
What more can be said about Geoff's DVD? It's like sitting down with your favourite uncle and receiving a master class, from beginning to end. Geoff relays everything you will need to know about all things horticultural, including top tips on 'building work know how' when using bricks, timber and all other materials whilst constructing your perfect garden.

I'll be honest, I watch Geoff when the there's nothing on television (which is most of the time) very therapeutic. Uncanny how much he reminds me of my own father and grand father when I was a young boy, they both had large allotments which they 'ran' in the same style.
7 people found this helpful
on 27 February 2015
I really enjoyed this documentary . (Enough that I watched it about 20 times) and It being 20 years later it is kind of sad to reflect on the fact that so much time has passed so quickly. I think Geoff Hamilton was a true gentleman and a very likeable fellow. I appreciate very much the way this was put together and the interviews were very good . (enough that even if you are not into gardening..they are still "timeless")
on 6 July 2016
This is the best garden video I have ever seen, from the first time back in the late eighties. I enjoyed it in respect to the first stages of development
to the late stage of growth and the various efforts that goes on for maintenance of the garden. I have seen the original broadcast on TVO in Toronto. Thanks to the BBC for producing the video and to the late Geoff Hamilton.
on 13 July 2016
I was gutted to find my husband had recorded over my video recordings of Geoff Hamilton's cottage garden series. I was delighted to find I could buy them on DVD, along with 2 other series and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them. Naturally, since these were recorded ages ago, they are not in widescreen or HD, but it is still an absolute delight to watch Geoff at work again.
One person found this helpful
on 27 October 2016
A pioneer for the organic movement RIP
on 22 February 2016
If you live in a high-rise flat or in town and you are fed-up, watch this and you will know why! One of the most interesting garden videos made where you meet a few very unusual gardeners who have their own style and deep understanding of beauty
on 16 March 2014
This is the kind of programme modern day television will not make any more. It is like talking to friends, with one of them being an expert. The three DVDs are great ,and each series is a pleasant distraction to watch at the end of the day. The rather old-fashioned - nothing wrong with it - format, means that the quick and fast approach to hands on is not there. So If that is what you want, this is not for you. But if you want to learn loads through a pleasant series of talks, nice camera takes and a continuous outpouring of other people's ideas, this is definitively for you. You end up thinking, which is what true learning is about.
on 23 June 2017
I enjoyed this set of dvds very much. I remember watching The Cottage Garden and The Paradise Garden years ago and it's lovely to have copies of all three of Geoff Hamilton's series of gardening programmes to watch, hopefully, time and again.
on 27 November 2014
Geoff Hamilton was genuinely knowledgeable about gardening.
With his gentle approach in presenting, he engaged a generation with his programmes.
The DVD collection contains 3 series of his programmes.
Nothing is more divine to re-watch than his 'Paradise Gardens' - it is anodyne bliss to re-watch something
so fondly remembered.