Customer reviews

Hyperdrive - Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 17 April 2017
Funny series, different to Red Dwarf but enjoyable.
on 10 March 2017
Good laugh!
on 18 November 2017
Great.
on 25 October 2017
Considering the amount of talented people involved in Hyperdrive, it isn't as funny as it should've been.
on 8 April 2017
Good
on 11 October 2014
Good series enjoyed it

But I miss proper Galton and Simpson humour. This is the Oxford Cambridge childish kind
on 28 October 2014
Honestly, when I first saw this, I thought it was going to be subpar, and barely paid it any attention. But then I started to see the quality of it out of the corner of my eye.

To those whom compare it to classics like Red Dwarf. Don't. They're completely different settings and unrelated in all but the fact that they're British Comedies and Sci-fi. This is essentially Star Trek, but monopolising on all of the silly British quirks we have, along with what they might become in the future.

Its cleverly put together, and uses its silliness and often cheesy set-ups in the best possible way. It has some seriously good episodes, and some okay episodes. But its engaging and funny from start to finish.

If you don't like the humour of Nick Frost, or Miranda, then I doubt this will interest you as much as it could. But I would at least give it a go. It isn't expensive, and its certainly worth it.

The CGI is certainly better than expected, and the sets are colourful and engaging. Overall the entire aesthetic is good and well done, the attention to detail is surprising in a Budget comedy show.

At the end of the day, this isn't for everyone, but for those it is for, it'll be a good and loved show.
on 9 April 2013
I ordered this a while ago and forgot to write a review until now, but in that time I have watched it several times over.

because the internet in my house does not work in my room I get through A LOT of DVDs, I need something I can watch a few times without it getting to boring (I'm not talking about back to back here). I have found this series more than satisfactory! I remember watching this the fist time round on the telly and wishing it had carried on for longer. it really is one of those underrated BBC things that just didn't get put out on the right channel or at the right time!

the only thing I would say other than singing it's praises is to tell people to take into account WHEN it was made, this was pre miranda and miranda heart was not as famous, the cast may take slightly different roles from what you are expecting, but stick with it, it's worth it!
on 15 August 2011
I had this show explained to me as "like a cross between Red Dwarf and The Office" and it is nothing like either.

I think people expecting it to be "like Red Dwarf" kind of shows the lack of imagination in expectation.

It is a very interesting take on sci-fi, more akin to older classics like Kinvig in the way it gently (and sometimes not so gently) ribs the genre for great comic effect. Like Dark Star (and of course Red Dwarf) this is sci-fi in a future where space travel has become as boring as shipping freight has to us today and meeting whole new races and whole new worlds is just more politics. The Captain Helix sub plot is masterful.

A lot of the humour is the kind of "OMG don't, oh no, please stop!" cringe humour you'd recognise from Miranda or similar shows although it is played more low key in some ways.

It has me hiding behind my hands and shrieking with laugher in equal measures.

Proof Britain can still turn out great comedy.
on 27 May 2009
I missed this series when it aired, and have only just discovered it. Why are there only two series??? It is very funny and has something for everyone who likes good British comedy. There isnt a single weak episode or character, and I have to admit a crush on Jeffers..
The episode with 'False York' is one to watch over and over again, as Kevin Eldon's Mister York creates a clone with hilarious random comments such as 'Im going pot holing now..'

Watch and be very entertained. And lets try and get at least another series out of the BBC!!!
22 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse