Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 April 2017
Great band ! Does exactly what it says on the tin !
on 13 April 2009
Hopes and Fears is Keane's debut album....and what a debut it is! This band are what real music is about! They breathe life into every single track and Tom Chaplin's voice is out-of-this-world! He has an amazing vocal range and is note-perfect. Their sound is very much individual with hints of Travis or Snow Patrol style. Every track is a stunner but the one's that stand out for me are: Everybody's Changing,Sunshine,Bend and Break,This Is The Last Time,and the beautiful etheral ballad Bed-shaped. All tracks are written by the band and there is no doubt in my mind that keane will reach the top with this album. Good honest pop music at it's VERY best.
on 1 May 2009
This album is an incredible example that quality and beauty have no patterns. This album has that kind of great-simple-but-intense songs that make your day, make you think and make you feel in love of music once again. A masterpiece.
on 13 November 2014
What`s not to like about it.
on 8 October 2009
Propelled by fairly simple piano chords coupled with the strong pure angelic voice of Tom Chaplin, then Keane, via this their debut album, sent shock waves throughout the indie scene. Opening track 'Somewhere Only We Know', basically using a minor chord progression F#m, C#m, Bm then E, coupled with someone who can actually sing, plus thoughtful lyrics "Oh simple thing where have you gone? I'm getting old and I need something to rely on", is one of the strongest numbers heard in years. 'This Is The Last Time' continues that high level - they develop a powerful beat on the CD with the piano being pushed slightly more into the background. With the virtually ditto sounding 'Bend And Break' and quieter 'We Might As Well Be Strangers', then there's a slight dip in the momentum & the signs of a musical sameness, but don't worry because 5th track 'Everybody's Changing' takes us back up again...those simple high-pitched piano chords being pushed to the forefront in the production...excellent number "Oh everybody's changing and I don't feel the same". 'Your Eyes Open' is more mysterious, but again that solid beat is there with piano chords bouncing around. Pianist Rice-Oxley said that this song initially resembled something Kylie Minogue might attempt. The delicate 'She Has No Time' follows, with Tom Chaplin's voice reminding of Geneva's Andrew Montgomery. Final four tracks continue the high standards 'Can't Stop Now', 'Sunshine', 'Untitled 1' & 'Bedshaped', with in particular the latter two being both really quite brilliant. Bathe yourself in this ocean of melodic indie power pop.
on 9 May 2009
This is a superb album, superb because of its sheer musicality, style and understated beauty. There are big, hefty tracks and one or two more melancholic and quieter songs, but each has purpose and style. Honestly, and at this price, do yourself a massive favour - buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 21 February 2013
It was back in March 2004 at four Travis (Travis being a major influence on Keane which is evident throughout there music) gigs where I first heard of Keane as they were the suopport band and one of the best If not the best support band I have ever seen support anyone! What first struck me was of course Tom Chaplin's amazing voice! and the fact the band were guitarless but never the less there whole set blew me away I mean Somewhere Only We Know has to be one of the best opening tracks ever on a debut album!

I knew after seeing Keane as the support band I knew theses guys were the next big thing and supremely talented in a world where people seem to like the dull bland FAKE manufactured rubbish filling the charts and they rave about it as most people cannot see it. Keane are for me as they were in 2004 still the best brit pop band to have emerged in the UK

It amazed me seeing the brit awards in 2005 where Keane won best group and best album. Even The presenters for the TV seemed shocked that the dull Franz Ferdinand never won it tut tut well I will tell you your wrong it was totally deserved for Keane to take the award.

People including the media press and critics and music SNOBS seem to have it in for Keane from day one as there not seen as cool because they don't conform to this silly rock attitude in this country where if you have a bad attitude your loved regardless of your music talents EG Oasis. But I say you are wrong! why dislike a band purely on the "UNCOOL" factor. Keane make Inspiring upbeat energetic music that energises me everytime I listen to there albums. There is nothing better than listening to a Keane album in the gym doing a workout seems to motivate me to another level.

Anyways there is not a single duff track anywhere on this album again anyone who rated the album 1 2 or 3 stars you are wrong and you should hang your head in shame!
on 25 March 2012
This is the first Keane album and I love it. I bought it when it first came out several years ago and it is still top of my list of albums to listen to. Buy it!
on 2 June 2010
Can't fault this one bit. When I first heard I hardly reconised any of the song. After a few listens then I couldn't get the lyrics out of my head. Espeically, track one; Somewhere Only We Know. Almost every song is faultless, you can tell from my rating, 5/5. I did a review for thier new album called the night train. I thought that was great. For those who saw Eurovision 2010 a few days ago. Greece did a song called OPA! Yeah I thought that was well good. 2ND favourite song ever, even so, Somewhere Only We Know is 60 times better than OPA! And I couldn't find one mistake in that. On with the review, then:

1/Somewhere Only We Know 3:57
Obvouisly, you can tell by what I said about this track in the paragragh above. Like I said "Almost every song is faultless", this is a great way to start a great album. Also one of thier singles going into this album, along with Bedshaped and Everybody's Changing. This is the best of the lot.

2/Bend And Break 3:34
Well better than expected, mainly in the chorus. Faultless, faultless, faultless! For those who love Keane and missed out on this album in 2004, you'll listen to this track and as hard as you try you won't find anything wrong with it. Listen to it everyday or whatever other Keane fans do, you won't find anything bad about it.

3/We Might As Well Be Strangers 3:41
Faultless. Yes. Can't describe it in other words. Lyrics 100/100. Music 100/100. Voice 100/100. Listen to this all the time, no need! The words will be in your head from about the third listen. You may guess what the next track will be described as!

4/Everybody's Changing 3:39
Another great single. Oooohh yeah I forgot, FAULTLESS. Perfect for any Keane fan. For those who are seeing them at Dolby Forest on June 25th I wish I was going. Mind you I'm not surprised it's sold out. They are just faultless, every track. That's rarer than an all-blue round on Deal Or No Deal.

5/Your Eyes Open 3:21
My 2nd fave song on the whole album. I know all the lyrics without looking at the lyric-booklett in the CD case. Same for most songs actully. Is that how you spell actully? Anyway, you just got to listen to thiss track once just to get the lyrics in you head.

6/She Has No Time 5:45
The longest song on the album, you won't be dissapointed. Some long tracks just pointless they're that long, but this is the furthest song from the word pointless. It's not one you'd know evevry single word to right from the first or even the second listed. Still keeps the record of bben faultless.

7/Can't Stop Now: 4:32
Yup, definetly faultless no way will you be annoyed about this one. I think it should be more popular than it is. Should've been a lot more popular actully. What is with the seventh track. That always seems to be an unpopular one on alubums by artists. Popular or not, I love this one!

8/Sunshine 3:59
Gr8 and great and brilliant! Faultless. Unmissable, when I say that I mean some people just want to skip to thier favourite track. You shouldn't skip this one, in fact you shouldn't skip any of them. They're all...guess what, yeah faultless.

9/This Is The Last Time 4:00
Fantastic song. Yes it is faultless and definetly in my top-ten for Keane songs. Faultless right from the first second of this great track. Also is a good way to start the last few songs on the album. 5/5 for the album, 5/5 for this song.

10/On A Day Like Today 4:27
Great song. The 10/12th track on this album another faultless song. I did say they're all faultless. Pribebly the best album in the world. The others are good, but this beats them all. Great song, no problem with it at all. Know all the words. Faultless, you can't say that this song is the worst on the album. In fact, I have no Idea what the worst song on this fantastic album actully is!

11/Untitled 1 3:44
Good song. Again it's faultless. You just buy a CD listen to the songs and mostly you think, "How can you write song's like that, even if they are professionals." BRILLIANT!

12/Bedshaped 5:07
Great way to end a perfect album. Yes all the songs are faultless. I've probebly mentioned that word too much now, but it is just a really good way to end the perfcet album, on a perfect song.

Somewhere Only We Know remains as my fave song ever!
F-Fantastic. A-Amazing. U-Umbelieveible. L-Legendary. T-Terrific. L-Looking-great. E-Exitment. S-Superb. S-Super!
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2009
I love dance music and so this was something a little different. That said, it is not in anyway slow music but has a great beat as well as a distinctive sound. The harmonies are fabulous and the songs just stick in your mind. I really have enjoyed this album and can honestly say that I am now a Keane fan!