Format: DVD|Change

on 19 October 2007
The price is the only good thing about this set. It might appear to be suitable for a newcomer to opera but the absence of sub titles rules this out. The Aida is woeful and, at only 60 minutes, misses more than half of it out. I have never seen the Grand March before performed with scarcely anyone moving. The Carmen is little better and, at 80 minutes, misses only only just over an hour out. No one who has seen Maria Ewing in the role would want to see this. The others are full versions with the Don Giovanni perhaps the best.Although the set is listed as PAL format, one disc is NTSC.
11 Comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 May 2015
Very disappointed with this DVD. No sub titles so don't know what it is all about and the quality is also very poor. Would not have bought this had I known it was like this, this was for a birthday present so bit upset!
on 15 November 2011
I thought this price was too good to be true and after putting on the first DVD last night ( Tosca ) and then trying Aida, I found out why. The quality was poor, like an old video that had been copied, and most importantly, there were no subtitles. For someone new to opera and not having seen these productions before, this was crucial. My partner, an avid opera fan, and I were very disappointed and I don't think this set will get played. I have no problem with the seller, just the item itself and will be more wary and selective on any opera DVDs I next purchase.
on 8 July 2011
I was very disappionted with this product, everyone of the Operas was cut short significantly and not one had subtitles. The menu system is also very basic. The supporting text has to be scrolled and is small so you have to be close to the TV to read, however the sound quality was okay as they were all in Dolby 5.1 except for Aida. If you love opera like me I recommend other products. The supplier was excellent, it was delivered on time i have no grumbles about this just the quality of the product.
on 29 December 2016
Bad sound. No sub-titles available. Wouldn't pay 50p for this if I had known
on 29 January 2016
Fantastic selection of great operas and it was delivered by christmas!
on 7 December 2011
Wonderful collection of operatic music, song and story. Ideal to relax to, very calming, soothing. often very emotional. I like to watch them when I'm alone, or pop in the headphones. Beautiful. Even tho' there is a language barrier, I still enjoy them very much.
on 19 February 2015
Great. Quick delivery
on 2 January 2017
very happy
on 26 February 2013
Fabulous selection of operas - I am sure I will watch them again & again. The settings were impressive as well.