Customer reviews

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons
Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 8 March 2013
By playing the music on instruments of the period you make the music sound the way the composer wanted it. This gives a warm, bright and intimate sound. Also those twiddly bits where the soloists do their thing are very restrained here, is appropriate for a piece of music written for school girls to perform. This is more for a drawing room than a concert hall, and as I play it at home I appreciate that.
on 31 October 2008
The Academy of Ancient Music were the reason I fell in love with the cello after hearing 'Vivaldi: Six Cello Concertos'. They are a period-instrument ensemble that read the music the way the composer intended it. They don't change bits here and there to better suit it for a full orchestra or to show off their talents. What most people don't realise is that Vivaldi wrote the four seasons in order to teach violin to a group of young girls. As I listen to this rendition I have no trouble imagining a group of young girls putting passion into this simple piece.

Orchestras like the English Chamber Orchestra are notorious for playing the music by their own interpretation. Nigel Kennedy said, "In my opinion, if a piece of music belongs only to the time in which it was written, it should not be played today." In my view, when the music has been interpreted so much that an 'allego non molto' sounds more like an 'allegro' then surely the original intention of the composer is lost.
As beautiful and passionate as many of these interpretations can be we must remind ourselves that when the composer finished the score we must assume he was completely happy with it. For that reason I feel that this CD truly is Vivaldi.
on 8 February 2013
To my mind, the nobody performs Vivaldi like the Academy of Ancient music. The passion and vibrancy of the performace is enthralling - a marvellous antidote to the (relative) sterility of the standard interpretations (such as Von Karajan's). This performance really brings it the Four Seasons to life in a way no other has, to my mind.
on 8 December 2015
I didn't find it the greatest performance and recording I have ever heard, but, of course, very good
on 20 May 2016
Not quite the whole opus,sadly. Probably my fault,but delivered on time.
on 2 November 2013
This was a album I already had on record since the 90's,
I wanted it on cd so I could also listen to it in the car.