An Electric Storm
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 October 2015
Hi just to say this is not for the faint hearted or those looking for pop music.. this is boarder line to Black Mass Satanic Rites
It's full of Electronic Synthesizer music But it is very good for us Goths Heavy Metal Dudes who like the dark side so don't sit in a dark room Drinking or smoking the weed it will freak you well out So I have warned you ?.. I have enjoyed this music for a good 40 yrs a X girl friend
got me hooked on this and I still enjoy it... Along with Pink Floyd. Back Sabbath. Emerson Lake n Palmer. .ect
So if you buy it I hope you enjoy it like I have.....
review image
on 2 October 2012
I first heard the track 'Love Without Sound' from this album on a compilation of psychedelic music mixed by The Amorphous Androgynous. I knew what to expect from that particular track, but I'm not sure I was ready for the peculiarity of the album based on my experience of that track alone, I don't mean this in a bad way, as the album surpasses any expectations I may have had. The album is a total trip through sexual ecounters, alien visitations and journeys through hell, all through a very experimental form of electronic manipulation and tape looping. I can't imagine what it must have been like to hear this album on it's release in 1969. It sounds unlike anything before it, but has touches of the avant garde jazz of artists such as Sun Ra (and his many incarnations of his Arkestra), elements of Prog-rock and early Krautrock, but also has moments that would sound just right on an Aphex Twin or Tortoise album (or indeed the albums of many of the other IDM artists'). It's all the more amazing that the creation of this album was assisted by members of the BBC Polyphonic Workshop (including Delia Derbyshire who co-created the first electronic version of the Doctor Who theme). I love this album, and I reckon if you like music that goes beyond the norm, you probably will too.
on 26 February 2018
I have been waiting for this classic album to be released on cd for a long time. An absolute must have cd for us Psychodelic fans. The sixties was a wonderful decade with experimental music and the decade of love and piece reigning throughout the land.
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2017
One of those classics you discover many years later. If you were into Art of Noise, Tonto or Wendy Carlos then this is for you. lots of electronic experimentation and weirdness, but with enough actual "tunes" to make it interesting
on 29 October 2011
i recently purchased a cd copy of this album for my collection, i have the original first copy, first pressing pink label, but i dont bother listening to vynil anymore so i got the cd, anyway down to the music, i was blown away by it in '69 and its still mighty impressive! the visitations is a masterpiece, any one of the performers should be justly proud of this amazing track. the other tracks still stand up pretty well, although some are definatly of their time. i should think the late ms derbyshire, david vorhaus and the rest of the team should be held in highest regard for this electronic gem.
on 25 September 2013
I first heard this back in the late sixties, when it was unlike anything I had ever heard. One of the collaborators in it's making was working at the time for the BBC in the Radiophonic workshop, and had a hand in the iconic theme music for "Doctor Who". Back then, the synthesiser was embryonic, and most of the weird and wonderful sounds and effects achieved on this album were from scratch-built electronic instruments, and banks of reel-to-reel tape recorders. With a modest advance from Island Records, they had to build a studio, and build the instruments. As an album, it does'nt really sound like anything else before, but must have been an influence on bands that came later, like Tangerine Dream, Can, and others. Side two feature a track called "the visitation", in which a girl's dead lover attempts to contact her as a ghost. His disembodied voice whispers chillingly as she sobs. It's brilliant, and quite disturbing. The finale, "An electric storm in Hell, does not disappoint; very scary indeed!
on 6 February 2007
If you weren't there or can't remember the sixties this is how us Brits did it. Here come the Fleas eh what. If you felt really brave or someone wanted to mess with your paranoia they'd play Black Mass at a party and someone would freak. The Visitation would have you so depressed you'd want to slit yor wrists. You could feel the car slamming into your body.

Not all bad though - quite a bit of fun with My Game of Loving or Love without Sound. Hidden Dreams is an anthem for being uninhibited and doing your own thing. That only leaves Firebird - I think I'll go play it now and stop writing reviews.
on 13 October 2016
Brilliant work from Delia Derbyshire and her cohorts. I'd favour the 'way ahead of its time' cliche, here, to illustrate that I'm nowhere near as original as she was.
on 21 December 2016
1976. Listened to this with my mate Tony Powel, stoned. My life was different afterwards, you looked on, too much in shock for tears.
on 21 September 2013
Bought this as am a fan of the late delia derbyshire (Did THE definitive D Who theme). This album may be difficult listening for some but persist and you will not only a very good album but glimpses into what was to be the future of elctronic music.