on 18 January 2016
Excellent purchase I've now had this DVD player for a while ! Very impressive & stunning DVD player - all black & chrome and matte & gloss mixed together and it's very slim. It was very easy to connect to my Samsung television and I started using it straight away. The DVD player is quiet

Remote is too small, and bit fiddley, but can get over it very easily - buttons are too small

Remote aside, the DVD player is fabulous - picture & sound quality are great and menu navigation is simple. The DVD player gets used every day and it's very reliable - no problems whatsoever!
One person found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 November 2007
I've now had this DVD player for 6 weeks and thought I should get round to doing this review! My first impressions on taking the player out of the box were incredibly positive - it's a stunning DVD player - all black & chrome and matte & gloss mixed together and it's very slim. It was very easy to connect to my Sony television and I started using it straight away. The DVD player is VERY quiet and had it been noisy, I would have returned it straight away!!

The only downside to this player in my opinion is the remote control. Being female, I find it fits quite nicely into my hand and don't think the buttons are too small at all - the problem is that the touch-sensitivity is very very poor. I noticed this after a few days and it's been a constant annoyance since! I suppose the best thing to do is just get an all-in-one remote control!

That aside, the DVD player is fabulous - picture & sound quality are great and menu navigation is simple. The DVD player gets used every day and it's very reliable - no problems whatsoever! I highly recommend this for anyone who wants a quiet and easy to use player that looks really fabulous too! ...just be sure to order a separate remote control!
8 people found this helpful
on 18 December 2007
I bought this a few days ago and whilst I found the device to be surprisingly light and sleek, the remote control was absolute rubbish. The menu on the device is rather slow and the buttons on the remote control do not really feel as if you've pressed down on them. Rewind/Fastforward on DivX/XviD movies via a USB key is extremely slow and can pause for 30s-1min before it resumes normal play.

One thing for sure... If you're a new home owner... and just recently moved into an apartment with no other electrical equipment... don't forget to buy a cable. Because the DVD player doesn't even come with your standard AV cables to plug into a TV. I ordered a HDMI cable... it just didn't get posted on the same day even though they were both purchased directly from amazon and not a competitor... Had to go out and purchase a cable just to test the device.

The CD tray also feels flimsy and there's no eject button on the remote. Pet peeve for sure!
One person found this helpful
on 11 January 2008
If asked if I would buy this player again, the answer would be an emphatic yes. Upscaling support is good, although I have seen some stutter on panning shots, but more than acceptable for a player at this price range.

OSD is intuitive (there is a trick to send audio to both TV and digital out - see other reviews for this).

I love the divx playback and compatibility - this cannot be faulted.

My only concern is that this player takes an age to switch on, and the load tray is a bit flimsy for my liking.
4 people found this helpful
on 24 April 2016
exellant
on 17 October 2007
After reading the reviews I went ahead and bought the 5980, yes the remote is a bit lacking but does the job(How ever what I really need is a all in one remote for all the bits of kit I have so not a problem) the picture & sound quality are really excellent and the usb port a bonus. Is it worth it, yes it is, well done Philips. John
3 people found this helpful
on 28 July 2008
An easy to use and an excellent DVD player. It is truly plug and play and the quality of audio and video is superb.
on 20 April 2014
It was a great multi region dvd player and it survived a number of moves and some harsh treatment. The usb reader was particularly awesome.
on 15 May 2015
Great.,
on 14 August 2007
First I'd like to thank Peter Alexander for the multiregion advice, and a very comprehensive review. However I think he's being a little too harsh on the remote. I suppose its "horses for courses" But for me the remote is just the right size, uncluttered in buttons, and is very responsive. At the top of the remote is the large buttoned menu cluster ( left, right, up, down, and a large OK button in the middle. Whilst the DVD is playing, these allow instant control over the speed, fast forward, fast rewind, the up and down buttons, instantly either slow the video forward, or backward. They are a joy to use, and allow complete control over DVD direction. Just below is the large Play/pause button, which again is very responsive. For me these are the important navigation buttons whilst playing a DVD and I think Philips have got this just right. The last DVD player I had was the Denon 1930 ( sold it to buy a HiDef player, but have decided to wait, hence the purchase of this Philips ) and the remote was truely aweful, woefully overclutted, far too big, and no design emphasis on navigation buttons.

I'm using this through a Toshiba WTL68 32" via HDMI input, and to my eyes its as good as the Denon, ie excellent picture and sound quality, but reassuringly without any lip-sync problems. It actually has a facillity to alter the lip-sync, should you find a DVD displaying this problem, but so far I haven't had to use it.

A big bonus is this will play MP3s on DVD's which the Denon couldn't.In fact it will play just about anything you throw at it. I had 4 year old CD-R with all sorts of files on it ( word, doc, Html, mp3, jpeg etc ) in very poor scratched condition. I was amazed when it read it, first showing what was in the root. I clicked on a folder and found some jpegs I'd forgotten about. When you highlight a jpeg, it displays a thunbnail image, pretty quickly. Then press OK and it displays it full screen, starting at the top and sweeping downwards ( takes about 3-4 secs to load full picture depending on size of file ). But the wait is worth it ! Here the HDMI connection excells. The images are pin sharp, with beautiful colours and contrast. This has changed the way I view my digital pictures. They look truely amazing on a large screen as compared to a small computer monitor.

I found this unit to run cool, and most importantly, very very quietly.

To summarise, I think this player gives an excellent picture and sound using an HDMI connection to a LCD/plasma TV, and goes a long way towards multimedia playing capabilities. I have no problems whatsoever with the remote which is sturdy, very responsive and in my opinion well designed.

Excellent value for money