• Kid

Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 January 2002
It DOES seem unfair. Some people sit for hours behind a thesaurus, waiting for divine, poetic inspiration. For Simon, it seems to come naturally. Too much trying would ruin it. His process seems to me completely natural, unspoilt, and he must annoy every other aspiring writer EVER with it!
'Kid' was the first Simon Armitage book I ever bought. Now I have every book he has ever written...'Kid' must be something special to encourage me to read on, and to become such a lover of him and his work...
This book must surely be all the evidence we need that Simon is one of the very top writers in the world at the moment. He is unafraid to tackle issues that other poets would run from. His varied life experiences have taught him much, and his sharp mind and creative talent have allowed him to express himself in a "firework display" of outstanding literature.
When you buy the book, please pay particular attention to one poem - 'About His Person', which is the poem the book ends on. This poem is one of the best I have come across in my life. It makes you think. It makes connections. It makes you ASK QUESTIONS. And these are the reasons why Simon writes poetry. 'About His Person' is a fine example of his wily, poetic techniques. Give it time, do it justice, and I guarantee you will be back, hungry for more of Simon's work....
on 5 August 2000
Poems about real life: exams, decorating, buying plants, cricket and pickpockets. A mixture of everyday life and a few darker bits... gorgeous. Like eating a chocolate chip muffin, lots of light spongy cake you can really associate with and then the darker chunks of chocolate, just to remind you that with domestic violence and hate life isn't perfect.
on 25 July 2016
I just didn't get it even if there's that much to get anyway which I really doubt. Low high culture. vacuous garbage really