Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 15 June 2007
I cannot stop playing this CD - every song is a massive leap forward from The Back Room. The first thing you notice is the 'size' of the sound - more expansive and widescreen than the debut, with lots of piano and backing harmonies. Tom's voice, too, has developed into something really special.

1. Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors

A great opener. A big rush of drums is joined by piano & vocals which then develops into a massive sound - crashing hi-hats & guitars.

2. An End Has A Start

Begins with a keyboard & bass drum, developing into Editors' seminal sound. Tom sings 'There's a devil at your side but an angel on her way'. Great chorus and guitar riff.

3. The Weight Of The World

A quieter track, as showcased on the recent tour. Uplifting chorus.

4. Bones

Probably the most typically sounding Editors track on the album. Could easily have slotted onto The Back Room.

5. When Anger Shows

Another quieter track. Nice use of keyboards and the way the drums 'step' into the track. Uplifting chorus with great guitar riff.

6. The Racing Rats

Possibly my favourite track on the album. Piano & guitar with digital delay effects then develop into a full-on massive chorus 'If a plane were to fall from the sky, how big a hole would it leave in the surface of the earth?'.

7. Push Your Head Towards The Air

A delicate track with acoustic guitar, vocal harmonies & piano. Possibly Editors at their most intimate, with Tom's voice not as you've heard it before.

8. Escape The Nest

Stunning intro which develops into a massive guitar riff & drums. One of the things that really stands out on this album is the quality of the drums on all these tracks and the way that Editors' sound has developed overall.

9. Spiders

A quieter track which starts with guitar. A very singable chorus.

10. Well Worn Hand

Possibly the saddest song on the album. Just Tom & piano with subtle guitar in the background. Tom sings 'I don't want to go out on my own anymore; I can't face the night like I used to before'.
on 19 April 2017
I give this two stars because the music is fantasic (i know all the songs).

But this was advertise as a new CD, which it isn't. It has quite clearly been "resealed" and the disk and box both show evidence of having been used before. Lights scratches and marks.

see images below.

Please don't advertise something as new is it isn't. Even if the cost is quite low.
review image review image
on 2 May 2017
The quality of the item was not as described, the disc was scratched and the cover was quite damaged, but the price I paid, I didn't have the time to complain or post it back.
on 21 February 2014
Absolutely love it. Arrived promptly and if you like the Editors, you will love this album. Don't hesitate to buy it!
on 21 July 2017
what an album
on 21 April 2017
editors simplemente
on 26 June 2007
This album is easy to enjoy but has a few faults for me that stop it being truly exceptional.

Firstly it follows the common practice of being front loaded.

Why is it that so many artists producers and record companies feel the need to put all the best songs near the beginning or on side one if it is a vinyl record?

Secondly in an effort to make the lead singers voice even more massive than it already is the vocals have been turned up in the mix.The trade off however leaves the bass on the light side.

Considering it is the same producer who did the recent Bloc Party album and indeed the same studio too,I dont get this.

There the vocals were big but decent bass too.Not massive,just good weight to keep the balance right.

Here on An End Has A Start, apart from the track Bones, the bass is markedly noticeable by its absence.

The Back Room has more bass weight although the overall sound level is not so loud due to the boosted vocals on this album.(Do a comparison if you dont believe me and also listen to Bloc Party too)

And thirdly and finally,that last track Well Worn Hand.

Just cant get into it I`m afraid.It might mean alot to the singer about his friend getting killed etc,but it doesnt mean anything to me as a song.

So I now have to finish the album on Spiders which while not being bad is nowhere near as good as an album closer as Distance from the debut.

All in all then good album but it doesnt blow me away like the first one did.

On the other hand though maybe I`m being unfair in expecting any band or artist to do it to me twice!
on 30 April 2015
Good second album - no second album issues here - strong vocals and instrumentation. Not really a song-writing band, but nonetheless a very accomplished effort.
on 12 September 2007
This is definitely my favourite album for a long time.

Editors have been a bit of a slow burn for me, I didn't know whether to like them or not because they sounded like Joy Division, but eventually decided that wasn't a bad thing.

I found myself rushing out to buy this the day it came out and wasn't disappointed, I keep listening to it and still love it.

It's definitely a bigger sound that the first album, which I like, and there's a lot of emotion in it - some of the songs made me want to cry, but in a good way, and I can't think of any other album I could say that about.
on 26 June 2007
The music's great, the whole album has one great emotional track after the other. But stick to the normal price CD. The Special Edition is just a card sleeve. Rubbish, no lyrics, no artwork. Looks like they forgot to include something - like an extra cd or dvd!