Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£5.95+ £1.26 shipping

on 1 April 2017
Very pleasant to listen to.
on 27 May 2009
This album makes me feel good about the world. In an age where music has become prepackaged, plastic, disposable, soulless slush this album is a breath of fresh air.

A couple of REAL musicians, fronted by a stunningly beautiful young woman who sings like an angel. Songs with simple acoustic arrangements, sung in a mixture of French, Creole, Portuguese... They just transport you away to her native Cape Verde. It's gentle music, but it's got rhythm and it's got heart.

The most amazing instrument here is Mayra's voice though. Her vocals belie her tender age, because she sounds like a seasoned singer here with great "mileage". Her singing can be melodic or rhythmic depending on the song. Her timbre is warm and mellow and you can hear she really KNOWS these songs. There are so many dynamics in her singing that she really gets the message across. Even if you might not fully understand the lyrics.

This is top drawer stuff! On to the second album Mayra!
on 28 March 2017
From the music this cd is deeply beautiful. When you do not understand the tiniest part of the lyrics, which are mostly very personal for the artist, then you just focus on the melody, or the melody of the words, which can be ultimately beautiful in some way. This music is crystal clear and "folklore" elements make it very authentic, at least it feels like that. Anyway beautiful to listen to it - Navega is beauty in simplicity.
on 10 March 2008
I've now listened to Navega about 20 times and find it getting better with every listen. The songs are both simple and complex and Mayra's beautiful voice is one of the best I've ever heard.
I would have given this album 10 stars if they'd have let me. Buy this album!
on 14 May 2007
I can't stop listening to this beutiful voice of Mayra Andrade and all the great musicians that play with her. Also a very intimate production that brings out the best in the music. Somehow they make something new out of the Cap Verdean genre that have been to much exploited. Simply wonderful.
on 28 December 2008
Saw Mayra at the Albert Hall as part of the Radio 3 World Music concert - she was amazing live, as she is also on this CD. A real mix of sounds with almost a blend of the African and Brazilian plus many more. Definitely recommended.
on 21 April 2008
Beautiful. Joyous. The kind of music that gives you goosebumps and makes your hips sway. An incredible voice and a warm, rich sound from the band. If you like music that transports you when you close your eyes, buy this!
on 8 December 2012
When I first heard this album I was blown away, so much so that I listened to it about 10 times in the first 4 days. This kind of ruined it a bit, I regretted overplaying it so much, but I have recently returned to it after a considerable break and it is wonderful again. I also have the other 2 albums by Mayra but this is by far my favourite, this truly is a great work.
on 1 February 2009
Very satisfied with purchase, Mayra has a fantastic voice. I love the variety of rhythms and the lyrics. The more I listen to it the more I like it.
on 10 November 2014
This is a brilliant record. The singing, playing, arrangements and compositions are all of the highest order. In particular I love the instrumentation used and the playing is right out of the top drawer.

The style is very much "morna", the Cape Verdean style of which Cesaria Evora was the best known exponent.

One of the very best discs that I have and even my wife loves it. I am now getting hold of some of her other releases and hope that they are on a par with this.