on 8 September 2007
I took delivery of this camera this morning. I was an avid amateur photographer in my youth and having worked my way up from a Zenith E to a Canon T90 I eventually tired of lugging a bag around that most air carriers won't allow on as hand luggage and I bought a Hybrid 35mm Camera, an Olympus is 100, before taking the digital plunge with a Fuji 2800zoom. This was replaced with an Olympus FE before I decided on the Panasonic (see other reviews for reason why) My main reason for choosing this camera was the Leica lens, I have always advised anyone looking to buy a digital camera "Stick with the main camera makers for the quality lens, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax etc" So the Leica input was irresistable. As I had not handled it before it arrived this morning, I was a little concerned from other reviews questioning its flimsiness and size, but I cant understand why. Although it is light, the (matt black) finish is very nice and it is certainly the best quality digital camera body I have handled, far better than the Olympus is 100 or an earlier Canon T70. I also wear a size 8 surgical glove and have no problems with the size of the camera. Surely the whole point of these cameras is their portability? Despite all the features; Program AE, Aperture, or Shutter priority, and fully manual exposure, there are no more knobs and buttons than on the Olympus FE I bought last year.The camera boasts all the features of my old T90 plus a range of auto scene settings and comes with that enormous 36-432 (35mm equivalent) lens. Screw in adaptors are available to extend the wide angle to 25mm or the tele to 735mm! Criticisms? A fiddly lens hood arangement, although with the optional adaptor it will accept 55mm filters and hoods. Also an annoying joystick arrangement for manual focusing. However, given the limitations of autofocus systems, it is nice to have the option. Also that lovely big LCD screen protrudes a couple of mil from the rear of the camera, so using the viewfinder inevitably means a greasy mark from your nose (is my nose just greasy or too big?) These are only minor points but that is because that is all I can find wrong with the camera. When I sold my T90 a decade ago this was the camera I envisioned replacing it with, sadly I spent several hundred pounds on unsuitable cameras before it became available. The FZ8 is available for under £150 if you shop around and at that price nothing can touch it. It has reignited my interest in photography beyond snapshots, without breaking the budget, or my arm carrying it. Yes, it is all things, at least to me.
review image
33 Comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 October 2008
When my daughter splashed out on a superb Canon G9 Canon PowerShot G9 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 6x Optical Zoom) 3.0" LCD earlier this year, I decided it was time to replace my trusty Canon Ixus v with something a bit more sophisticated. Not wishing to pay G9 or SLR prices, and disliking the trend away from proper viewfinders on many recent ultra-compact models, I reckoned this is a perfect compromise between price, size and convenience. Having a Leica lens is a big attraction too of course.

I've had the FZ8 for a couple of months and find it's a joy to use - and of course the results are almost always a pleasure to look at too. The zoom lens is simply astonishing: I still can't believe some of the detail in the pictures I take of objects hundreds of yards away. Indoors, using natural available light without flash, also produces images you would not believe were possible.

I'm no great photographer, so the point-and-shoot mood is generally more than adequate for everyday use. When I do try more adventurous settings, though, I am rarely disappointed. Clearly, the more I use this camera the better photographer I become, and the learning process is extremely enjoyable.

The FZ8 has been overtaken by more sophisticated - and more expensive - Lumix models, and if you have the extra cash it may be worth opting for one of these. But for a relatively small outlay, this camera will not disappoint with the zing it brings to your pictures. My only regret is that it doesn't have a metal body, as it feels slightly less robust than my old Ixus.

Panasonic must have stopped making this model, so buy now while stocks last!
on 7 May 2008
I had read many of the negative reviews for the FZ8 but thought the positives out-weighed the negatives. However, when I took the FZ8 along to a wedding, with the "i" setting the camera chose not to use the flash. Consequently most of the pictures had camera shake. I am not happy when using flash as the shutter speed is set at 1/30th second and some shots seem over exposed. With my old Canon AE1 the shutter speed was set at 1/60th - less chance of camera shake.Having borrowed an oldish Fuji S5000, which produced excellent results, I am rather disappointed with the Lumix FZ8.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 2 May 2008
Top feature must be the 36-432mm zoom, which is coupled with one of the best image stabilisation systems to be found. Image quality in both short and long distance photography is quite superb for the price. Startup time is around four seconds and battery pack lasts well. Instruction manual is an easy read and camera boasts aperture prioity,shutter priority and manual override, very useful for unusual lighting conditions. I bought one after reading the Which "Best Buy" report and have found it to be an amazing camera at this price, which incidentally is nearly £100 off RRP.
on 14 February 2009
I thought this was a good buy with all the adjustments possible, a 12X zoom lens for far away objects, a nice light camera that is between the point and shoot and the full blown digital SLR,s.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 July 2007
Having had a range of digital cameras, almost all Casio's I was a little concerned I'd have problems getting to grips with a hybrid. I can't be bothered with all the hastle learning to use an SLR but my compact is a bit old. Fortunately my misgivings were not realised as this camera offers the best of both worlds. It has the intuitive feel of a compact but many of the features you'd expect from an SLR. The interface isn't as pretty as my old Casio P600 but other features make up for it.

The 12x optical zoom is particularly impressive compared to those offered by most of the compacts and far outstrips any of the small optical zooms augmented by digital zooms. The lens is excellent. All in all a good all-rounder.
0Comment| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 July 2007
The Panasonic DMC-FZ range dominates this area. It is a great all round camera. It has a super optical zoom, that can pick out details in a distance and is compact enough but gives great pictures for any situation. I have used a camera from this range for 1.5 years now and it has been ideal for any situation I have thrown at it (ranging from rail photography to night club photography). If you want a camera, this should be seriously considered

The screen is really good and really large. Piece of advice is to keep the adaptor for the lens hood on all the time to prevent damage to the lens
0Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse