on 11 January 2008
I've run several hundred miles with my Shoe Pouch now and think it's a great product. It allows you to easily but securely attach the Nike+ iPod sensor to your running shoes even if they don't have a special compartment for it - which means you can use the Nike+ system to record your run data without buying new shoes. I have heard it suggested that how the sensor is attached to the shoe affects accuracy. However, in my experience the sensor produces accurate results when attached to the shoe using a Shoe Pouch (providing that you calibrate it correctly first) with distance estimates accurate to within 2.5%. The Shoe Pouch keeps the sensor secure and dry (even in fairly wet conditions - though apart from one accidental splash through a deep puddle I've never actually submerged it) and doesn't bounce around on the shoe so you really don't notice it is there while you are running. It appears well-made (feels like wetsuit material) and is a snug fit for the sensor. Excellent product. Highly recommended.
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Grantwood Shoe Pouch is made of Neoprene with four loops through which the shoe laces are threaded. The earlier version that I have has Neoprene loops, whilst the later version has loops made of nylon. The reduction in elasticity may increase the accuracy of the Nike+ sensor.

I found that accuracy of the Nike+ sensor was improved by mounting the Shoe Pouch as near horizontal as possible and, placing it under the shoe laces as well as threading the laces through the loops. That said, the accuracy of my calibrated Nike+ sensor changes with the speed that I run or jog. My 2.94 mile lunchtime loop registers from 2.90 miles (faster pace) to 3.11 miles(slower pace); good accuracy given the cost of the Shoe Pouch and Nike+ sensor. Be sure that the Apple and Nike logos on the sensor are facing upwards when the Shoe Pouch is attached to the shoe, otherwise the reading will be inaccurate. If you calibrate the sensor, make it at least a mile - 1.25 miles is the maximum calibration distance - on your usual running surface. By the way, whilst the sensor registers on a treadmill, it doesn't work on an elliptical and, interference from a treadmill will affect the pace line when the session is uploaded to the Nike+ web site.

The pouch has covered about 120 miles to date and is still in good condition and, the Nike+ sensor has never slipped out. The Marware pouch is similar, but uses a Velcro secured wrap-over to fix it to the shoe laces. This may allow the sensor to move more which may affect accuracy.

If you have shoes that don't have the inbuilt recess for the Nike+ sensor, the Grantwood shoe pouch provides a very good way of allowing the sensor to be used.
on 28 June 2008
Brilliant product. Could only guess at my performance before but now I know ! In the words of a famous advert "It does exactly what it says on the tin!" Wish I'd bought one sooner.
on 17 January 2012
It's been said before, but basically this pouch is a neat and simple idea to allow use of the Nike+ Sensor on non-Nike+ trainers, running shoes etc.
Arguably a bit fiddly to initially fit as it threads within the shoes laces, but once it's on, the pouch provides a perfectly secure pocket to secure the sensor to the top of the shoe; it's as simple as that. A neat neoprene pouch with velcro closing flap. The sensor is a good fit and doesn't flop around (as it shouldn't); the pouch holds the sensor well.
No issues with calibration or range. Only drawback, if you want to use the Nike+ sensor in more than one shoe, then for convenience buy a pouch for each.
VINE VOICEon 5 January 2011
The Grantwood Shoe Pouch is a small, black neoprene pouch which is just big enough to hold a Nike + Sensor or Garmin Footpod tightly and securely. It's important that the sensor moves only with your foot and does not have any play and this pouch achieves this. The pouch is rugged and well made and the sensor fits inside the pouch which has a robust Velcro secured flap. Whilst not actually waterproof the pouch does afford the sensor a high degree of protection from knocks and the elements. I've probably run over 100 miles with the shoe pouch attached and have never lost or damaged either my Nike plus or Garmin Footpod.

The pouch is secured to the shoe through four loops which the shoe laces pass through. It really needs to be mounted on top of the laces for comfort. I suggest mounting the pouch low down; as close to the toe as possible to improve accuracy and to make tightening or adjusting of your laces easier. I've tried both positions and lower down seems to marginally improve accuracy.

I've seen that some reviewers have struggled with reception between the Nike plus sensor and their iPod, I'm over six foot and I've never had any connection issues with either my Nike + Sensor or Garmin Footpod; both work reliably when secured in the pouch, even with my iPod mounted on my arm. I cannot see why a neoprene pouch would adversely affect the signal from the device and suspect that the issue lies elsewhere.

In summary, the Grantwood Shoe Pouch is well made, robust and does exactly what it was designed for. The cost is reasonable and hence I can see no reason not to give it a considered five stars.
on 27 August 2008
Although a little tricky to attach to my shoes (Asics Gel Kayano, nice!) and I was initially concerned that it would impede my running somehow, that's not been the case. Very happy to recommend this and the Nike+ itself of course!
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2013
In my view this product is so good that I have two of them as I train regularly for half marathons and heard it was good to have two sets of trainers and alternate between them.

I got the first one having researched and found varying reviews for the more convenient but seemingly less stable and robust velcro alternatives out there.

This is superb. Simply unlace your trainers and feed the laces back through the loops.
While this is secure it not quick or convenience to transfer to other trainers, hence me coming back to buy a second one. But if you only have one pair of trainers you run in this won't be an issue.

The pouch itsself is a snug fit for the ipod sensor but also has a good firm velcro flap meaning the sensor has no chance of going anywhere which I have tested in fast paced running/sprints and half marathons.
on 29 September 2008
I had to switch to some Mizuno trainers as my Nike Pegasus were really not suitable for my running. I already owned the Nike+ sports kit, suitable armband and the Nano 3G. This was the perfect partner to my Nike+ kit. It's well designed and survived rainy runs well.
on 23 September 2011
This pouch is just the right size for the sensor, but not big enough to contain a key or even a £1 coin (I wanted to buy a drink on the way home). Does the job, but a slightly larger pouch would do the same job.
on 22 February 2010
Bought this to go with the Nike+ sensor. Worked perfectly. I've since bought a new pair of trainers (old pai had done enough miles) with the in built pocket and there is no diference between the two results.