Top critical review
10 people found this helpful
It isn't a complete season review, and it isn't very well done either.
on 13 July 2007
I don't ask much of a season review. All I want to do is to start at the beginning of the season and follow events chronologically, getting to see every single goal and the occasional save or near miss. I also prefer to see at least one replay of each goal (I know I can rewind but how about showing another angle). A useful added feature would be to flash up the team sheet before each game.
This DVD fails on three major counts:
* It splits up the competitions instead of going chronologically, this despite referring to the other competitions in the commentary and possibly in the grainy flashback sequences if it were possible to make out what they were. This just makes it a mess.
* For some games, including the Carling Cup Final, it uses very grainy video, abysmal camera angles and pointless music and so totally fails to give any useful highlights of those games.
* It completely leaves out the entire FA Cup run apart from the final on the 'bonus disc' without any explanation.
These points, and the last one in particular, mean it is not a 'season review' in my book.
* It is in 4:3 instead of the more obvious 16:9. I can't believe the vast majority of the matches were not recorded in widescreen.
* Many of the goals don't get so much as one replay so you blink and you've missed it.
* The DVD is interspersed with lots of pathetic compilations sequences featuring unwatchable video, annoying music and unhelpful camera angles, and for some games they seem to do the same with clips from previous seasons.
I understand the manufacturers of the DVD claim there wasn't enough room for the 'road to Wembley' on the DVD. Sure there was if they got rid of all the unnecessary compilation clips. I haven't viewed the extras like the greatest saves of the season but I am sure they could be usefully chopped. After all if they are so good they should all be in the highlights already and I can form my own opinion of what the best saves and goals were thanks all the same. And of course there would be plenty of room on the 'bonus DVD' anyway if they stopped the childish pretence they are giving something for nothing when the DVD is a premium price anyway.
I think the very least the club should do is issue an apology for the abysmal quality of this product.