Customer reviews

Size: Set of 12|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 10 December 2015
My Pencils arrived in a Metal tin with 24 inside.

I have included a few images showing what the colours are and just on there own and then what each colour looks like once water is added.
(On my colour chart, On the left - pencil on it's own & on the right - pencil with water)
These feel lovely to hold, as there is a nice weight to them, they are round shaped pencils.

* They look lovely and vibrant once water is added, you only need a small amount of water, So make sure to dab your brush on a tissue etc..
* Colours really do look like Ink once water is added, I was pleasantly surprised at the change.

* I have been using these in my adult colouring in books, just with the pencil mainly, but also by adding water on a few images.
* Very pleased with my results so far, My only criticism is there isn't a pink colour within the 24 pack, Would have loved one.
* Maybe i should have gone with the larger pack.

I would recommend you make yourself and colour chart like i did, as the colours on the pencils and the name written on them, can be a little different to the actual colour you end up with.

I am not an artist, but have found these a pleasure to use and am hoping my shading and gradients will improve by using these.
I would say if you aren't really looking to be adding water to most of your work and are looking for a pencil more for blending etc..then i probably wouldn't choose these particular one's from Derwent, I would probably go for maybe the Coloursoft version instead, But if you want to pencil that can do more than one job, then these are fantastic. Great for someone who hasn't got a steady hand, as these make painting much easier.

Oh one last thing, these wouldn't fit in my regular sharpener, i purchased the Derwent Blender & Burnisher kit at the same time and that came with one, that they fit into fine..

I do hope this helps you figure out if these are for you or not..X

Link To Derwent Coloursoft 24 Tin:
Derwent Coloursoft Colouring Pencils Tin (Set of 24)
review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 Comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 February 2016
The pencils arrived promptly and I was keen to try them out. They at first seem to be just like any coloured pencil but after initially using them in the same way you wet the coloured area with a damp brush. This is when the beauty of the pencils emerges, unlike watercolour pencils the colours are really vibrant. There are different techniques for their use - as well as straightforward colouring you can shave bits from the coloured point or wet a paintbrush and touch it to the colour before applying to the paper.

The pencils' colours have completely different names to the usual ones for paints, names such as Sun Yellow, Poppy Red etc. They can be mixed on the paper but once they have been wetted the paint cannot be changed. However, you can add more colour once the layer has dried.

I was very pleased with the product, wished I had bought more!
on 11 July 2014
Excellent value, indian inks in solid form; Fantastic results; Try them & Love them and Stay with them - far superior to Watercolours for me, and infinitely imaginative variety of uses, and not just on papers; try them in textiles, but you may have to iron the design to "set it".
On watercolour paper they are permanant once dry and so translucent you can layer the hues for stunning effects. Personally for me, there is nothing on the art market to touch Derwent Inktense, and I use the full range of 72 +1 in all my works.
on 3 April 2015
Great quality crayons at a good price and quick delivery
review image
on 27 May 2017
Adore the effect these give when using them. Very good quality and worth the money

I suggest you buy aqua pens. You can use them lightly like pencils then add water 💦 However I find I get a better finish by using an aqua pen to the tips and then painting with them. They aftall are ink not watercolour pencils. That's the reason they are more expensive but they will last ages!
review image
on 5 July 2017
I bought these to.see if i would like intense and I'm glad i bought them! I've now decided I want the full set of the intense pencils I also want the intense blocks to so yay my birthday in 3 weeks and will be getting them... This is a good way to try them out and a good deal than buying individual
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 June 2017
These pencils are lovely to use and the colours as intense even when dry. I've knocked off a start because the leads break very easily within the pencil and one has to sharpen them repeatly thus using up the pencils more quickly.
on 29 September 2013
The pencils are wonderful. I bought them after buying the inktense blocks. I use these all the time in my mixed media work. They are soft, but can be used for fine drawing. Or they can be used to lay down washes and blend beautifully. They are permanent once wetted, which means all kinds of layers can be played with. the colours are vivid and irresistible. I use them constantly.
on 16 February 2017
Love the vibrant colours great to create even for inexperienced artist. I used straight on the page then used a water brush over if wanted a solid colour and without for fine detail. Just need to take care when using being ink if get on anything porous it will be permanent. Not a bad thing if want to create on a canvas bag or shoes.
on 22 March 2017
Have a larger set of these Inktense pencils and wanted to buy some for my grandson. Love them. These are excellent price and delivery was fast. Would highly recommend.