Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Blind Boys of Alabama Shop now Fitbit Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

on 5 July 2017
Item arrived on time and as described
on 24 July 2017
Absoloutely rubbish had to glue the points on the turrets else they kept falling off and turrets kept falling over so ruined the cake !! Wish i wd of sent it back !!
on 9 September 2012
The set was fairly easy to use but I found the top turrets too top heavy to use as they distabilised the towers so I found Ice cream cones a good alternative to use.
review image review image
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2016
This was a God send! Initially I was going to pastillage the turrets, but changed my mind due to lack of time, let's face it that would have taken me an absolute eternity! This looked professional and was still fiddly. What I would say is that a bit of prep is required. Drilling holes in the plastic and inserting dowel rods is absolutely essential and even though I royal iced the Base ones they still collapsed on the journey so I would probably really secure the with as much as you can. The end result is beautiful, but this is not something that you can put together in 5 or even 10 minutes!
on 10 May 2010
At first I thought the price was a bit steep for some plastic decorating pieces I knew I'd only use once and I can't deny it took a while for myself and my mother to decorate all of them and assemble the whole castle, but in the end the effect was brilliant and the guests were very complimentary! (I have uploaded my own customer image)
As a novice in making anything more than a fairly simple cake, it would have been a nightmare trying to make my own turrets, columns, doors etc - getting them to all look the same, and be of the same size. But with this kit, all you need to do is decorate the pieces to your own taste.
My one criticism would be the stability of the columns with turrets on top - I was convinced the cake would fall apart as we carried it from the house out to the marquee. In the end we pierced the bottom of the columns (which are hollow) with a compass/small screwdriver and inserted kebab sticks into them, allowing about an inch at the end with which to pierce the cake. I would highly recommend this, even if you aren't planning to move the cake far, it would be such a shame if the whole thing collapsed - and a gentle knock would be enough to do this as the pieces are very lightweight.
Overall, aslong as your patient and takes steps to ensure the stability of the columns, you WILL end up with an eye catching and fun cake you and your guests will remember :)
review image
on 26 November 2014
I thought this was a kit to help cut a cake or bake a cake - it's not. It is a lot of plastic to make the castle out of and then incorporate some cake into. Not my thing :(
on 2 February 2016
This review is for people who are not sure what they're supposed to do and are worrying like I did! It took me a while to decide if I should buy this set for my 5 year olds Birthday cake, based on the fact I didn't know exactly which materials I should use and not having a clue how to use it! I finally decided to buy it to make it cheaper than having someone make one for us. First if all I put holes in the bottom of all the turrets that we're going to be actually on the cake with a tiny screwdriver. I had someone make the bottom tier for me and I bought a plain cake for the top tier. I decorated the turrets, door, windows and main section in advance and used Wilton ready to use icing tube in pink sprinkled with with pink sparkles. I used icecream cones covered in royal icing and pink sprinkles for the top of the turrets as the ones that came with the set were too heavy. I also used royal icing for the sides of the main section. On the day of the party I tiered the cakes using a video from YouTube (I used s thin cake board the same size as the top tier and 4 wooden BBQ skewers!) . I assembled it all (the doors and windows just slot in, the main section was stuck on with royal icing) and the turrets I again used the BBQ skewers, they fit the holes perfectly and could be cut to size. I also added some royal icing to stick them down with for extra strength, and did the same with the ones on the bottom. I glued the cones with royal icing. I used green Wilton ready to use icing with a star tip for the grass decoration and small fondant flowers. To assemble and decorate on the day it took 2 hours.
It did look really beautiful and everyone said it looked professional. I've never decorated a cake before so I was pleased with how easy it turned out to be!
HOWEVER... Transporting it in a traffic jam for 45 mins was a nightmare!!!! As there was a lot if stopping and starting, the top turrets started to wobble and lean. And by the time we got there, they were about to fall. If we hadn't had the skewers in there they wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes on that journey! My advice is, take the turrets that are placed on the cake seperatley and just stick them in when you get there! I think if I'd have given the royal icing more time to harden I wouldn't have had a problem, but as I decorated the morning of the party it was still a bit soft so not gluey at all. Wilton could make it much easier by simply adding plastic dowels to the bottom of the turrets! A bit of a design flaw, but it all turned out ok in the end!
review image
on 28 June 2017
I am very happy I picked this brand And they are very comfortable for everyday use They are the perfect size, and look spectacular. Met all my expectations and I am very happy with it. So far this item is great Thanks for a great product!!
on 27 February 2013
i bought this to use as a guide on how to build the castle cake and also use the plastic turrets to set my modelling paste so my entire cake will be edible as i dont like to use plastic in my cakes.
on 13 April 2015
Loved making this partly because having read the reviews it prepared me for the pitfalls. Used wooden towels for the castle spires. Made hole under them with a small pointed knife. No drilling for me. Took me 5 days. As I decorated all the plastic pieces using royal icing sugar and glitter as a frosting.they need to dry out so do this as far in advance as you can. I baked a 12 inch cake for the base and used a 14 inch cake drum don't use a thin board this cake is a heavyweight. With hindsight I would use at least a 16 inch for the spires to have space on the board. The top tier was a 9 inch cake.I also hid some tiny lights that I bought from.Amazon. you use them in balloons.the cake was a hit everyone loved it adults and princesses alike