Customer reviews

Odessey & Oracle-Pocket Version
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 November 2012
Odessey (sic) and Oracle: The CBS Years 1967-1969 is Repertoire's 2 CD expansion of The Zombies' second and final album, featuring their best-known hit single, "Time of the Season." The package contains the mono and stereo mixes of the album, plus "RIP: The Lost Album," a collection of unused tracks that might have formed a 3rd LP for the Zs had they not split in late '67 and gone in different career directions (e.g. Rod Argent to Argent, Colin Blunstone away from music, etc.). Repertoire has done a fine job remastering these recordings; the notes give a nicely detailed account of the Zs' last months as a functioning unit, good track-by-track information and other minutiae relating to the songs contained within. Prior to buying this and Begin Here, which covers the band's recordings for Decca (1964-67), I had not owned any Zombies material - now am very glad I made these purchases. Their complete recordings are captured in two very neat packages; kudos to Repertoire for their efforts. I highly recommend both.
on 24 January 2016
Love this album, incredible tracks by an awesome and much underrated band. The singing (lead and backing vocals) is awesome, the musicianship is great and the songs are superb, from light and happy-go-lucky, such as Friends Of Mine, to the much darker and scarily horrific Butchers Tale (Western Front 1914) - a great testament to one of the best bands of the sixties.
on 21 March 2015
I used to have this on vinyl but lost it along the way. Must have lend it to someone and never got it back. Oh, well.
This reissue was a nice opportunity to get the album back in my collection. And it is nice to get the RIP album thrown in as well.
Odessey And Oracle is still an impressive album. I'm not into comparing mono and stereo mixes so I think I'll listen to both versions just to get an impression. Sometimes a mono album has a bit more 'punch'.
It's nice to have it back.
on 9 September 2013
The Zombies was a very underrated group in the 60's, but "Odessey and Oracle" is a very beautiful album. For me the stand out tracks are the classic "Time Of The Season", the romantic "This Will Be Our Year", the psychedelic "Hung Up In A Dream" and the catchy "Care Of Cell 44". This album is often compared to The Beatles' "Sgt Peppers" and The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds". Althogh "Odessey and Oracle" is very good it is not quite in the same class as those masterpieces. The music is very good, but I am not satisfied with the mini-LP packaging. I think it should have a jewel case or something like that, so it would be easier to find in my CD collection.
on 19 September 2016
Most bands would love to have just produced just one or two songs as good as any of of the classic tracks on this amazing album. A true classic and well deserving of its rating as one of the best albums of all time. Everyone should own this!
on 19 December 2016
One of the best and most underrated word-of-mouth gems of the 60's, there is nothing quite like it yet it is familiar, melodies are gorgeous, music is constantly throwing you off guard and keeping you engrossed. If you don't have a listen, you are insane.
on 22 October 2015
The pressing on this record is absolutely fantastic. I bought it as a present for my partner and he was very impressed. It's crisp, clear and the colours are great. Packaging of this item was also brilliant and really professional. Wonderful addition to our vinyl collection!
on 21 November 2016
Nice tunes, but much more twee than I was expecting. I like it harder these days (fnarr). Not bad music, excellent in fact, just not my cup of tea.
on 6 July 2017
one of the greatest rock/pop albums of all time.
and one of the very best from the sixties,makes me proud to be british
on 19 October 2014
Whatever do buy this CD, it is so good. Very Brian Wilson(ish) so if you dig that music this is for you. Zombies are so tight & together it is a wonder why the record is not more widely talked about is beyond me. Beatles Revolver, Beach Boys Pet Sounds, etc are all known & this is in that category in my book. Just dig in your pocket & get it.