Customer reviews

Tonight At The Arizona
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 November 2007
Bought this album here from Amazon, and recieved it this afternoon. At first I didn't really get into it, it was good. But nothing that remarkable. Then I listened to it again. =O!

This really is some great stuff. Somewhat melancholic, it's sounds a bit like the mood of Neil Young's On The Beach, with a more dylanesque feel to it, and with lyrics that makes me think a lot of The Band. This is good, really great. It's epic. Most of the people used to the more commericial, polished stuff of today might think it sounds a bit strange. But this is raw, imperfect (like the thunder hitting the studio during the recording of Hey Hey Revolver), and paradoxally amazing.

So everyone that liked, for example (as I said above) Neil Young's more sad period (this is though not as electric as most of his songs, but think Ambulance Blues)... and, actually the whole americana/folk period a là The Band will NOT be disappointed.

One of the best albums I've heard this year.

(please note that I'm a teenager from Sweden writing this, so my english might be a bit... not that good. and I probably could write this better in just some years, but, I'm quite sure of my opinion)
22 Comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2007
If you have a spare bottle of brandy, and the moon is on the rise, take your portable CD player onto the porch, slump in your favourite rockin' chair, tip your hat over your eyes and sing along with these wonderful, sad laments of love, life and death. Handsome Family for the Basement Tapes generation. I am playing it again and again, the Ballad of Lou the Welterweight doing more for the doggy position than any song I've ever heard.
on 14 September 2008
The Felice Brothers are amazing. They have a very 'unpolished' sound, and it took me a few listens to truly appreciate this album - but now i'm playing it constantly. I hear something new every time I play it. I'm a fan of The Old Crow Medicine Show - the Felice Brothers have some similarities, in a slower more melancholy way, but I also think they're even better. There are also some vague Dylan similarities. My only criticism is that there isn't a lyrics sheet with the CD - as the lyrics and the stories the Felice Brothers tell are amazing. I haven't seen these guys in concert yet but it's at the very top of my wish list to do so.
on 3 October 2007
This is a great debut album, despite the David Grayish singing on the first song. The influences of Neil Young and Uncle Tupelo are very evident. T for Texas is a great foot stomping country rock song. I like the inclusion of the live song at the end as a teaser to how energetic these guys would be live.
on 7 October 2008
I came to the Felice Brothers blind, but Oh! what a discovery. It could be tempting to pigeonhole them, focusing on the Dylanesque quality of the vocals, but this would be a mistake. The vocals are of a burr that seems to combine Guy Clarke and Levon Helm with a shot of Jack Daniels!! Now saying they sound like Dylan would not have conveyed that AND missed much more. The harmonies are almost theatrical in their feel, but the theatre in this instince is the Catskills not Carnegie Hall. There is for me a feel of ribald earthiness, where the excellent lyrics and music combine to produce a soundtrack to a way of life, or a feeling for life.

The opening Roll On Arte is haunting and just sets the scene, there is a languid yet sharp edge to it, which is equalled by Ballad of Lou, but here the lyrics are more complex and gritty. T For Texas is just pure fun with a shout out to a rich heritage, it made me think of Bill Monroe. My favourite is probably Rockefeller Druglaw Blues, the raw feeling in the rich lyrics is just beautiful and the solid blues accompaniment is awesome. The album closes with Take This Hammer, a live track that just makes me feel happy and envious...because it feels as though the beer is flowing and a good time is being had.

Ive singled these tracks out to whet your appetite; there is not one dud track on this entire album...trust me.
on 17 March 2010
This album seems to have been largly ignored in the US despite the band being homegrown in New York State and that really is a shame. The songs have a timeless quality so it difficult to tell when the songs were written. They sound new and familar at the same time.

There have been many comparisons with the Band and I guess that to an extent that is fair but they are much much more than a rip off of the Band (although they do seem to dress like them on occasion). I would also throw in acoustic Neil Young, Townes Van Zandt and many other influences of a similar ilk. The music on this album is mostly dark acoustic, countryish, whisky drenched folk. There seems to be more than one of the guys that takes lead vocals on the songs and this provdes some variety. The main singer does sound a bit dylanesque though. The lyrics are all fairly dark dealing with those in difficulty at the edges of society.

However the beauty of the songs is in their ability to transport you into the world of the songs protaganists. The Ballad of Lou the Welterweight to me is a very New York sounding song. It takes me to the New York of old 40s black and white movies. Hey Hey Revolver has a Neil Young (tonights the night) sound to it. T for Texas is an upbeat country rock song while Rockefller Drug Law Blues is a very sweet, sad, melancoly song about a guy who falls victim to the aforementioned law. The songs are songs that stick with you and are all catchy enough that you will find your self singing them time after time; as if you have been listening to them for years but also not familiar enough to become grating as some catchy songs can.

I have heard complaints that the album can sound sloppy and raw. It is and I love it all the more for that. The odd harmony or instument is out of tune or out of synch but it only adds to the intimate feel of the album.

Despite the albums quiet, sad feel I have heard that the the Felice Brothers can be quite a raucous band to see live. A little of this may be captured in the live(?) last song Take This Hammer which resembles a drunken jam session in a bar with the Felice Brothers and some friends and I hope captures the attitude of the brothers. Their second album is also out and although muscially more upbeat is just as good. I am hopeful that the Felice Brothers will be producing music like this for many many years to come. Sit in a darkened room, crack open a beer, light a cigarette and enjoy.
on 13 February 2009
Bought this after really enjoying the self titled Felice Brothers CD that came out in 2008. Can't say I was disappointed but of the two CDs I feel it comes in second best..but you never know...sometimes the slow burners really catch on six months down the line.
By no way a bad album..but if you are new to this band go for the self titled Felice Brothers CD first.
on 11 January 2015
This is without a doubt one of the best albums I've bought this year, and probably my favourite by the Felice brothers, up there with Yonder is the Clock and the self titled Felice Brothers. The collection of songs here are delicate and shot through with raw emotion, the vocals and recording are imperfect at times but in this lies it's charm. You can tell they've really experienced what they put across in the music. All three brothers who share lead vocals have different yet equally stunning voices, and the lyrics are beautiful throughout. A must have for any Felice brothers fan and fans of American folk music.
on 27 February 2008
I love this cd.whilst the influences are fairly clear this doesn't detract at all.Great songwriting.Buy it you won't be disappointed.
on 6 June 2008
One, if not the best album i've heard for years. Buy it...you won't be dissapointed.