Customer reviews

How We Built Britain (BBC) [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 5 February 2009
Of all the videos we have purchased in recent times, this is one we view over and over. David Dimbleby's relaxed smooth informative narration with exquisite camera work and incredible varied visits to historic building and scenery just flow over your senses to an extent that David almost feels like one of the family. The research that has been applied to this DVD and the sense if being there has to become one of our favorites. Everytime I view this DVD, I see and experience a better understanding of the Making of Britain. Highly recommended, we have given this DVD as a present to people and they have sung the same praises.
on 12 November 2009
Having just finished watching this series I really,really enjoyed it.David Dimbleby is an excellent host and is much more amusing than you would ever think.In his pink shirt and stripey socks,he makes this series so interesting.Stunning filming,historical facts and also the music,this really is one to watch and enjoy.
on 28 February 2017
Good stories and interesting topics, very 'British' indeed, but a little bit too focused on the presenter.. Anyway, worth watching more than once :)
on 20 February 2016
Thought provoking interesting series that will make you love our wonderful home.
on 20 October 2013
This is a great series which I first saw on television. Wanted a birthday present for my seventeen year old grandson in Australia. Thought he would like this series on DVD as he enjoys British history. Bought it from Amazon, sent it over to Australia. Delivery was quick and efficient.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 January 2009
A well made documentary, Dimbleby presents with an obvious interest and passion for the subject that allows the series to flow effortlessly. It shows some of the many overlooked places that we have in this fine country and how they developed. After watching I strongly recommend that you go and visit as many of the properties as possible, some of which are probably on your doorstep.
on 20 May 2016
Good addition to my collection!
on 29 January 2009
The BBC now have a rather long tradition of producing some of the world's best documentaries; this one is certainly true to that tradition. It is informative without being dull; it displays some thorough research, but does not forget the lighter side of things; above all, Mr Dimbleby takes us on a journey most of us would otherwise not think of making. If you like to learn about outre or recherche subjects, and at the same time you like history and architecture, then this gem is just the thing. Even if the above does not apply to you, after watching this it may well do.
on 12 January 2014
I ordered this after we had missed a great many episodes on TV and have enjoyed it greatly. Both my husband and I find Dimbleby a very interesting presenter, and this DVD is addictive watching. Well packed and quickly delivered.
on 8 June 2010
This was exceptionally well done I enjoyed every minute of it and have watched it twice more since purchase. very informative touch of humour and David had a try at everything . wonderful stuff BEA