Format: Audio CD|Change

If Hoagy Carmichael had never written another note, he'd still be remembered as the man who wrote "Star Dust". Fortunately for us, he wrote a great deal more, which he sang in his highly idiosyncratic and oddly endearing style. The first CD of this set presents him doing just that, with a variety of accompaniments, including Paul Whiteman (Washboard Blues), and the Casa Loma Orchestra (Little Old Lady). Exceptionally, he duets with Ella Logan on two tracks, and Dick Robertson and Anita Boyer take vocal honours on one track apiece.

The second CD is in two parts; fifteen tracks of Hoagy singing the music of others, followed by eleven of other great artists performing his songs. The latter include Louis Armstrong, Connie Boswell, Frank Sinatra, Kay Starr, Bing Crosby, and Jane Russell.

This is an excellent compilation at a truly bargain price, which should appeal to Hoagy's many admirers, and garner him some more.
I love listening to this when I am fraught. It soothes and softens anxiety, transforming it to a sort of leisurely melancholy, bathed in nostalgia, that is somehow much more enjoyable than being cheered up by something more upbeat.
Some of the recordings are a bit hissy and crackly but that doesn't impede enjoyment at all.
on 4 February 2014
I have long been an admirer of Hoagy Carmichael whether it be his laid back singing or the way he seems able to match tune and lyrics to any situation..
It is hard to choose a favourite, one might say that they are all favourites! I love the bitter sweet love song that is "Judy" or the couple who are so much at ease with themselves in "Two sleepy people" and the heart rending "I get along without you very well" (particularly when sung by Turner Layton) Then there are his semi humorous songs which can guarantee to raise a smile.
I suppose some of my affection for him is down to nostalgia as I was born in 1932 and sometimes yearn for the music and artistes of my childhood and adolescence.
A wonderful set of discs - thank you!
on 8 October 2010
Among this juicy but ungraded crate of songs and melodies are many juicy oranges, but some sound a bit dry with the passage of time, and a few sound, to me at least, like lemons. What composer, classical, jazz, or otherwise passed through their career without shedding a few lemons?
Suck `em and hear, I say. If you like Hoagy, (and why else would you buy this compilation?),this is terrific value for money. Close the curtains, charge your cup of coffee,and be prepared for peaceful delight!
on 29 November 2008
What a shame this is considered the "Essential Collection". The track selection is sort of ok but there are many more of Hoagy's titles I would rate higher than these. The quality is also rubbish compared to some recordings I have. It's not on CD yet but try and find a good vinyl copy of "Hoagy Carmical - 16 Classic tracks", It's far better - rip it to MP3 if you want digital.
on 22 September 2014
this was bought as a pressie for someone and I know for a fact they love it so go buy it if this is your kind of music
on 25 May 2010
arrived promptly for remastered the sound quality is better than good,excellent hoagy tracks with a good veriety of his songs would reccomend hoagy fans to buy
on 6 November 2013
Now on semi-permanent standby in the kitchen. Good as a change from news and chat on the radio, reminder of my childhood hearing my mother playing Hoagy's sort of mellow music.
on 31 January 2015
This was bought as a gift and the recipients decided it wasn't really their kind of music. We like Hoagy Carmichael and there's a good selection of his popular numbers
on 1 May 2013
As with the other Hoagy Carmichael I bought enjoyable, but not quite as wonderful as I remembered, maybe i'm getting old