Some people don't like recordings of live concerts on principle. I'm in the other camp. I love it so much, I write the Best Live Albums blog.

That admits one bias. Now for another. I've spent years believing that anything from Springsteen between 1973 and 1978 is brilliant (his second to fourth albums, The Wild, The Innocent & the E Street Shuffle, Born To Run and Darkness On The Edge Of Town are all fantastic) and anything afterwards ranged from very good to OK.

Despite my love of live albums, I ignored this one from when it was released in 2007 to very recently. That was a big mistake.

This isn't Bruce Springsteen as we know him from the E-Street band. It's as if it's from a parallel universe where, after releasing his first two albums (that had strong folk and jazz influences), he didn't become a rock superstar. Instead he developed his musical ideas and created his own Rolling Thunder style revue band with brass, violins, mandolins, banjos and other strange instruments.

And then went out and had a great deal of fun every night playing folk, jazz, country, and traditional roots music.

I've never heard an album like this before with its sheer variety of styles and sounds. It might have been a mish-mash but it all seems to make sense.

If you're prepared to listen to a Springsteen album with an open mind and not pigeon-hole him along the lines of Born To Run, Born In The USA and The Rising, I think you'll really enjoy this.

I don't think it's as essential as the Hammersmith Odeon 75 live album but until we get an authorised, great sounding album from the Darkness tour, I think Live In Dublin should be the second Springsteen live album you buy.
on 1 May 2017
I bought this CD as a present for my Mum and she loves it!
It is a must for any fan who wants to hear a different side of The Boss' talents!
on 21 June 2007
I purchased this CD when it was first released a couple of weeks ago. I'm a huge fan of Springsteens classic stuff. Badlands, The River ect. I wasn't quite sure what to expect and I can honestly say, I didn't expect to listen to such a richly fun and fantastic CD.

Bruce is performing with more of a gruff voice and turns some already brilliant folk songs into complete and utter masterpieces.

With classic tracks such as Atlantic City and Should I Fall Behind jazzed up and newer stuff such as American Land and Pay Me My Money Down, the CD has a wide range of music for everybody. There's also a hauntingly creepy version of When the Saints Go Marching In.

I've been playing the CD in the car and it really loads you with a positive attitude for work, ect.
on 10 November 2012
Fantastic live album that sees Bruce and the band tearing into an eclectic mix. The E Street Band are great at what they do but the rootsier, gospel/ Celtic soul of the Sessions Band give the man a whole new sound which he's taken through to Wrecking Ball. A Springsteen album for non. Bruce fans, this is the sound of musicians enjoying themselves. Listen with a smile on your face!
"The fact is when Bruce kicked off at 20.30 pm on that Friday night in The Point Theatre he played non-stop right to the very end very few performers can sustain such intensity and carry a gig off that would be to us punters unforgettable those night were UNFORGETTABLE!!!!!!!I thought Bruce was never gonna stop and the highlight of the night Bruce lying exhausted over the top of the piano as if he had not a breath left in the world. Dublin was a case of the time the music and the performer - A MOMEMT IN TRUE HISTORY FOR DUBLIN TOWN." IrishJohnny

"Live In Dublin' was one of those one in a lifetime events that we all wish we had attended. Every review sings praise for this CD and DVD. Veteran concert goers and reviewers say this was the best concert they had ever attended. That is all well and good, but in the end Bruce Springsteen and the Sessions Band care about the fans. You can hear the fans singing along, especially with 'Pay Me My Money Down ' I found that I was singing along with the rest of'em.

Bruce Springsteen's manager Jon Landau said, "'Live in Dublin' charts the development of a band from an informal gathering in Bruce's living room to an onstage powerhouse. It also documents the growth in Bruce's vision of American music; it includes folk music, blues, Dixieland, country, swing, gospel, rock, down to and including his own writing. It's all performed with Bruce's classic energy and focus. I think it's some of the finest music he's ever made." The 23 songs on this CD are the best of the best. Included are many from his Seegers CD. They all belong in Springsteen's chest of dreams.

This CD and DVD are memorial for the emotions that are so evident in every song. Songs like the antiwar "Mrs. McGrath" and "O Mary Don't You Weep" benefit from these in-concert performances, "and a 17-piece band allows Springsteen to freewheel onto rootsy back roads not accessible from E Street. " said Marty Lance. "If I Should Fall Behind" becomes a lovely waltz, "Open All Night" swings like Bob Wills, and "Growin' Up" and "Blinded by the Light" are new arrangements. "The high point, however, just might be "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live," the 1929 Blind Alfred Reed song that Springsteen has retrofitted with rage and new lyrics about the government's bungling of Hurricane Katrina's aftermath. Bruce's connection to folk protest deepens, in righteously swaggering preacher and congregation style, on the epochal rewrite of "How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live". A Depression era classic that Springsteen found on a Ry Cooder album and then amended with his own brilliantly Bush-baiting verse is perhaps the most politically extreme and, as hammered home here, exultant performance of his career." Even more wonderful is "Eyes On The Prize", sung with Mark Anthony Thompson. "If I Should Fall Behind", a duet with Patty Sciafla,Is one of my favories, and "When The Saints Go Marching In" and "This Little Light Of Mine" rock free and easy. "In short, it's everything Springsteen's big-hearted thoughtfully impassioned take on Americana ever set out to be. Swing out sisters and brothers, swing out."

GAVIN MARTIN

Columbia Records released 'Bruce Springsteen With The Sessions Band Live in Dublin' a concert DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and separate two-CD set release, as well as a combination DVD/CD package. The two-CD set, DVD and Blu-ray Disc each feature 23 songs drawn from the band's performances in Dublin, Ireland at The Point on November 17, 18 and 19, 2006. The DVD can be seen on selected PBS stations and a glorious DVD it is;. PBS shouold reel in the cash after viewing this marvelous DVD.

There are not enough superlatives in my repetoire to register the delight of this CD. I have played it three times today and will soon listen again.

The New Boss Lives On.

Highly Heartily Recommended. prisrob 06-05-07

Bruce Springsteen with the Sessions Band: Live In Dublin DVD

We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
on 3 September 2009
I wasn't so sure about the Seeger Sessions when the studio album came out,but then came this live set and oh boy this is a great release.What we have is first of all totally great songs performed by a large band of superb musicians,and the greatest live artist on the planet today.This set is pure joy from start to finish,even the older Bruce songs take on a new life of their own here.Not the rock band we're used to but a barnstorming band of guitars,piano,fiddles,horn section and just about the best banjo player I have ever heard.Songs like folk classics such as 'old Dan Tucker' come alive with a Dublin audience who clearly came to have a good time right from the first note to the last.Bruce is on top form in doing a project he clearly is loving to do.This is a great BS album that goes along with his other recordings as to me essential to have and enjoy over and over again.Oh and by the way I now just love the original studio album.Get this CD/DVD set and join the party,because this is great music,played and sung by the best there is,in Dublin on one great night of a fabulous BS tour,who could want more than this.
on 3 March 2013
I didnt buy yet the CD
However I was in one of the concert Bruce gave in Dublin.

The energy and joy of playing music he still transmit are absolutely crazy!

He closed the concert but then he came back to stage and played another song (typical from every bands), then another (it happens sometimes), then another (wow) for almost mn or more

THE BOSS!
on 3 October 2014
broooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooce - give it up!

retire.

rest.
on 17 July 2008
I LOVE this album. I've been a fan of Bruce Springsteen for nearly thirty years and he just continues to amaze me! The band here is incredibly tight and the sound is nothing ever less than perfect. Each song just oozes fun and friendly enthusiasm and the arrangements are spot on. Classic Bruce mixed with classic American folk? You cannot fault a moment. Brooooooce!!! Broooooce!!!
on 29 December 2009
i guess everyone has heard this and either loves or hates it. In my family we love it so much we gave our daughter the dvd and she gave us the cd. On a recent visit to my brother in the US we were driving down the New Jersey Turnpike, four of us singing along all the way. A moment I'll always cherish. (the longest my brother ever went without starting a quarrel with me.)