Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 August 2007
After reading a few reviews of this album, I finally pulled myself together and got it! I am a so called fan of Miss Ellis Bextor, but her sound as one review said is very constant.
This album IS VERY different from her other two, and I found myself tapping my foot to all tracks.
Do not listen to the other reviews!! This album shoots her back into the pop world with great force! I liked all the tracks, but if I had to choose a fav, it would have to be 'Supersonic'.
Listen to this if you are getting ready for a good night out!
on 3 June 2007
Sophie Ellis Bexter's long awaited new album 'Trip The Light Fantastic-what more can i say!! shes back, but better than ever!! it has everything,from the rockish 'Catch You' to the dancefloor filler 'China Heart.

The thing i like most is her great song lyrics.must have taken her ages! she is truelly an extremally talented entertainer!

A very mature album,reaching the borders of everything, and showing the quality of someone who would have been recording for years,when in fact this is only her third album!

a truely original album, with loads of creativity in it. here are reviews of her songs:

1: Cath You-a great comeback song! differnet from anything she has ever done. extremally catchy,with great lyrics.-5/5

2: Me And My Imagination- the second signle and sophie is bac to her her usual style :D a catchy, dance song-5/5

3: Today The Suns On Us-a wonderful, relaxing summery song.a catchy pop song. it has to be a single!! -5/5

4: New York City Lights-a catchy dance song. probably going to be the third single. a good song, but i dont find it personlly the best song on the album but definately give it a go! -4/5

5: If I Cant Dance-her usual,disco style song. catchy,but there could be a bit more to it. probably gonna be a signle-4/5

6: The Distance Between Us- a good pop song.-3/5

7: if You Go- a great,catchy,summery pop song. hopefully a single!-5/5

8: Only One- a good song with a Bond feel to it-4/5

9: Love Is Here- pure pop :D. hopefully a single-5/5

10: New Flame-a love this song. it might be a single-5/5

11: China Heart-in my eyes, one of the best songs on the album a great floorfiller. has to be a single! -5/5

12: What Have We Started-a good song.worth a go but not the best on the album-3/5

13: Supersonic- a super bonus track! really elictronica, dance and pop-5/5

OVERALL- 10/10: her new album is her catchist,most mature work yet! YOU HAVE TO BUT IT!!! set to be one of the best albums of 2007.
on 24 June 2007
Third time is undoubtedly a charm when it comes to "Trip The Light Fantastic", the latest offering from the electronically smooth Sophie Ellis-Bextor. After the differing style and new look that she implemented with "Shoot From The Hip", Ellis-Bextor returns with what is chiefly a flawless album - consistent in the artist's mood, mode and melody.

Listeners should not be fooled by the tracks that she has chosen to release as an instigation to this album; nor should they begin to judge until they get to track 4 of the record. Although acceptable and pleasant, the album's first three tracks - that happen to include the songs that she has released as singles and a third album track named "Today The Sun's On Us" - are nothing extraordinary, which is what urges me to ask of the listener to be patient and wait for track 4, "New York City Lights" to arrive; as it is from this point that the album lives up to expectation and, I think, overshadows both "Read My Lips" and "Shoot From The Hip".

"Trip The Light Fantastic", as a name, sums up the entire feel to this record: electronica mixed with disco, soothingly dancey, incredibly catchy and very diverse. You can loose yourself in both the upbeat and the slower tracks, either in the buoyant pulse of some or the gentle spark of others. The quicker "If I Can't Dance" and "New Flame" are fast-paced and just very catchy, while "The Distance Between Us", "If You Go" and "Can't Have It All" are continual in their soothing pace but still manage to allow a hint of upbeat disco into them without extricating their slower feel; they are thrilling at a gentle pace rather than a fast one.

Tracks like "China Heart" and "New York City Lights" offer something in-between, whilst the climax "Supersonic" ultimately leaves the best till last - this track is fast, catchy and exciting with a suggestion of futurism. In fact, I would suggest listening to the album backwards and allow this track to act as an exploding premier rather than a detonating finale.

Ellis-Bextor's lyrics are coherent and poignant in places too, which proves that the album is thoughtful and insightful, rather than meaningless, repetitive dance. She covers everything from unhealthy infatuation to expansive love to proactive emotion.

"Trip The Light Fantastic" is a terrific progression in Sophie Ellis-Bextor's music, style and image. The album compliments her no end and outshines both her previous works, not in a manner that demeans them, just in a way that highlights the natural progression that a musician should make as they grow in their art. This album is a dancey yet classy delight; it is superb!
on 5 February 2016
At first I found it hard to appreciate this album.... but now i have listened to it a fair bit- and whilst not the best in my humble opinion- in that I prefer other studio albums she has done- I do prefer it to Shoot From The Hip, and it has grown on me- I do like Sophie's voice, and overall, I don't think she has done a bad album... my favourite tracks are 1 catch you, 2 me and my imagination, 9 love is here and 7 the outstanding If you Go. I'm glad I have every album of Sophie's, and hope she does another in the future.
on 29 May 2007
Having followed Sophie's career from "Theaudience" she has consistently turned out good quality music, the best being "Read My Lips" and the last one "Shoot From the Hip" wasn't bad at all, but by now I would have liked her to take a rockier path - some excellent songs on "Trip..", though rather safe as mentioned earlier - "If I Can't Dance" is excruciatingly corny, the best tracks for me are "Catch You", "Me And My Imagination " "Love Is Here " and best of all "China Heart ", a fabulous song, also nice to hear some electric guitars here and there,

also I really liked the quirky "Supersonic".

Next time I would love to hear an all-out rock album which I know Miss EB could really make a great job of - so....go for it Soaf...!!! :-)
on 14 December 2010
Always thought that Sophie E-B had an interesting voice and Murder of the Dance Floor has been in my head for years. So not surprised that there is some good stuff on this album. The surprise is that in my view every song is good or better, and a couple of the tracks are exceptional, i.e Today the Sun's on Us & China Heart. I suppose the music could be classified as dance pop, but enough rock refences to broaden its appeal. I'll be looking out for the next album.
on 28 May 2009
I'm a man of the 80's and love electronic, depeche mode, nik kershaw etc... and there's some great tracks on this album, if you turn the volume up in the car on Catch you, me & my imagination, today the sun's on us, If you go and supersonic... it will surely make you feel good...

great songs, great sounds and powerful beats...go get it!
on 20 February 2012
I'd heard a particular song off of St trinian's dvd and started searching everywhere to get this particular track. I had searched in HMV and still couldn't find it so I turned to Amazon and there it was. Very quick delivery so didn't have long to finally listen to that song.
on 23 May 2007
I think it's her best album and very sorry for her singles bad charts positions in Britain! She deserves better positions there! It shows that British people has bad taste for pop music. Shame:)
I still hope that Sophie is going to release 4th single from this album!
on 20 July 2013
This album proved Sophie can be a truly ambitious pop singer that can keep her artistic integrity.The production is crisp and has a punk rock and disco influence , exceptionally well crafted melody's and catchy hooks. This truly is Sophie at her best.