Top positive review
2 people found this helpful
reliable and friendly 2 line system from RTX
on 10 January 2014
I am a huge fan of this system - as an expat i travel the world (business and family) and as such i'd need to change numbers quite often. but with skype - i just have one; no matter where i go i have my skype account and i can call my folks. better - i just plug in the landline and here we go. happy days:)
anywho - back to the product. I already had a triple set of these at home. as my wife needed an account for herself we bough this single phone set to expand the network. we have 2 bases now with 2 phones on each.
result? 2 independant land lines, and 2 independant skype line. perfect!
the original we bough was from 2010. this one was purchased late 2013, hence this is the 'newer' version. i sense the older one was/is a bit better.
+ land line and skype go in, both work in parallel
+ units work when network is down (land line i mean!)
+ unit is durable, good sound, good quality of materials
+ side port for a simple head set
+ it can ring like a phone (no fancy-shmancy ring tones, just a regular old fashioned ring-ring!)
+ i get some 25m range (through brick walls, concrete cellings)
+ simplke and user friendly display and operation (no doctorate in nuclear phisics required)
+ 4h of non-stop chatting is no problem at all; unit seems energy efficent
+ loud speaker is a wonderful function and it works very well - clear, loud sound, very nice!
- the 'newer' version charger produces this high pitch squeek. i hear it, my more significant doesn't (guess i have bat ears)
- not compatible with 4088 base. this is just bad... i wanted to have a new unit to distinguish them. no way. doesn't work
- after ~15month batteries need to be replaced as they "just die". no biggie - high capacity rechargables are dirt cheap nowadays
- they could have added a head set/ear piece (costs little, but would have been a nice touch)
- i still haven't figured out how to customise rings for various callers. guess it just can't do it :(
* buttons tend to stick out, so cleaning the unit isn't the easiest
* outer finish is a bit porous hence makeup, dust, grease, etc. stick to it wonderfully :(
* original docking stations developed this weird sickness - tiny wires that charge the units would bend; as result the hand sets wouldn't charge. 15min to open the docking stations, bend the wires, close the things back again. there - done. still, i would prefer this did not happen!
* is it REALLY worth like 50 quid? not sure. it is a good product, but 50 pounds is a bit steep...
* cant buy a separate base station. which is just ...ghh.... not good :( expanding the system means you'll need to buy a new set...