Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 15 August 2007
OK, so I'm 50, and maybe shouldn't have a say on new groups. But do these guys give it all. There are strong traces of punk in there, and I'm sure they must have been influenced by The Clash, Pistols & Buzzcocks. From track 1 had goose pimples, it's just catchy, within 3 listens you are there
and you know all the words. Go to the web site, and have a listen to the tracks, l think the first track, they even have a video of. I was tapping away within 30 seconds.
It's in my best CD's of the year already.
on 22 August 2007
This yorshire band showed a lot of promise when their single romantic Type came out last year, a great slice of spiky indie rock.

then they followed up with that with the already indie anthem of "I Found Out" with the shout "Is she going out with"

after the two promising singles, it was time for the band to come up with the goods on their debut effort "Wait For Me".

and they really do deliver the goods on this one, 12 songs that are designed to played loud, with a beer in your hand and group of mates all tuneless singing along, back of the net!
on 2 September 2007
Wait for me is a fantasic album, full of fire passion and energy. Every single song on there could be a single in its own right, and after one listen on the album the whole way through im sure you would agree. A must have for any pop/rock/indie fan.

Recommended songs: Romantic type, I'm not sorry, I found out, Take her back.
on 10 August 2007
Not much to say except possibly album of the year, I can't turn it off. As for the last reviewer, although he is spot on about this album he is so wide of the mark regards indie in general he has almost gone full circle. For instance, The Cribs have been around longer than any of the acts they supposedly copied?
on 7 September 2007
Many people have said this Album is simple, but so what!!! Its damn effective raw energy and power with catchy riffs and sing along choruses. Ok its not a classic but still very very good. (what it the review bellow all about!?!?!)
on 25 May 2007
Although I don't like describing bands as "X meets Y", I'm simply too unskilled to avoid it, so sorry: The Pigeon Detectives are The Jam meets Feeder - purveyors of energetic, hooky and anthemic garage rock.

They sit well with contemporary staples (Kaisers, Franzs, Arctics, et al) but wear their old influences (The Kinks and Velvet Underground) brashly enough that they don't sound like copycats.

'Romantic Type' is very Feeder-like; fast-paced shouting of amusing lyrics mixed with tempo changes into more tender, reflective segments and fun guitar solos. My favourite on the album though is 'I Found Out', Undertones-like (read: Teenage Kicks-like) and with a shouty backing vocal, highly sing-along-to-able.

I can sympathise with complaints that The Pigeon Detectives are generic, because there's no denying that there are hundreds of UK bands putting out music like this, but one can't help thinking this band are something more, perhaps having taken those five years since forming in 2002 to really nail down the precise tracks they want to define them in their debut album. It will certainly be interesting to see where they go next; a mass bandwagon jumping could shoot them to the top of the popularity stakes in latter 2007 or they could just fade into obscurity like so many others - neither would be quite deserved.

Inoffensive, uplifting but not especially remarkable UK rock - worth a listen, if not a purchase. The mental imagery of their name gives me the laughs, too.
on 8 August 2007
I think the trend was started with 'Over the Counter Culture' by the Ordinary Boys 3 or 4 years back. Simple arrangements, some clever words, delivered in a recognisable accent (sometimes London). Kaiser Chiefs took this mainstream with Employment and have since been followed by Maximo Park, Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, and more recently The Holloways, The View and The Cribs. Some of the latter bands also getting by with a lead singer who speaks rather than sings, or at best has a very poor vocal range.
And those are just the bands I've actually heard.
Has 'Indie' gone down some cul-de-sac where it's utterly predictable? I'm almost scared to listen to The Twang in case I know what they're playing before I even hear it.
So, The Pigeon Detectives tick all the boxes to confirm my theory. Accents, limited vocals and musicianship, some jolly words. But they seem to me to have one other thing that sets them above many of the bands I've mentioned: the gift of really catchy tunes. I found myself humming "I Found Out" while I was listening to a different CD, it is that hard to get them out of your head. In fact, the amount of time I'm spending playing this CD must mean it's my favourite so far this year.
So, I thoroughly and unreservedly recommend this album - buy it, and you'll have no need for further CDs of the same genre. Then maybe Indie can take a slightly different direction.
A nice punchy album with a good stomping beat and catchy new wave songs. Worth buying.
on 4 July 2007
This is possibly one of my favourite albums this year, every track is brilliant and makes you dance like a mentalist!!
This band is also the best band I have seen live this year, they were my highlight at Glastonbury festival - the lead singer is certainly an entertainer, if you get a chance go & see them live, it will make the album even better (if that's possible)
on 6 July 2012
I was given the CD version of this and played it so much in my car until I knew all the lyrics and the CD was so damaged that it no longer played :(
I decided to get the vinyl, which is probably the number one player vinyl in my collection.
The Pigeon Detective's are a great band, with not enough credit for their music. Most of their music is pretty uplifting and really gets me through my working day!
Arrived fast and in great condition too.
Thanks to the Seller for that.