Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop now

on 24 August 2009
This was the first RPG I've ever played and I wasn't sure how I was going to like it at first. A birthday present from my husband he regretted it shortly afterwards: I was hooked, LOL! I have played it through twice already and am on the third go around, but then I am one of those people who becomes a fan (fanatic) over those things that I really like.

What appealed to me, maybe because I'm a girl, I don't know, was that it had a backstory so it was almost as if you were taking part in a film or a book. As a fantasy book reader and a writer, the game appealed to me on the story level, although I've heard other people don't tend to like that.

Loved the character designs and background drawings and although the music does get a bit repetitive over time it is very well done. My first few bosses I kept getting killed, as I had no idea you needed to be a certain level in order to better defeat them. I loved the fact that the battles were turn-based, as I have terrible reflexes, so real time battles are no fun for me. Even on this third time around I'm finding things I missed the first two, more treasure chests, land to explore etc.

What would have made the game a bit better would perhaps to have had the world map earlier on in the game, but other than that I don't really have any complaints about it. I didn't find the voiceovers that bad myself.

I love it, one for the keeper shelf.
on 17 March 2010
Dragon Quest VIII is a must have for any RPG fan. This game has the legendary Akira Toriyama (creator of Dragon Ball) as the artist and his contribution and style is impressive and visually stunning. To put it simply, this game takes the best elements of a classic RPG and integrates a good, and light-hearted, storyline.

To begin with, you have a King and his daughter who've been transformed into a Toad and Horse by an evil jester and they're escorted by the Hero (which is controlled by the player) and Yangus (an ex-thug) around the beautifully creative and imaginative world. You will meet tonnes of character, two of whom will join your party a bit further down the line.

The premise of the game is simple, the King wants you to track down the evil jester in order that the King and Princess can be returned to their normal selves. You spend much of the game a few steps behind as he causes chaos, and in some cases, kills important people. As the story unravels, you begin to see the true underlying motives behind these sinister actions.

Character development in this game is fun and plentiful, you see the background of why each character is part of your long and treacherous journey. But one of the biggest positives to take from the game has to be the storyline. Though the creators of the game have made sure never to take itself too seriously and to keep the tone of the game relatively light-hearted throughout, you still get a deep and engaging story that keeps you playing for hours, not to mention a few surprising twists and turns.

The gameplay follows a simple turn-based combat system. As is the case with all RPG's there is the need to level up, this does mean having to run around a lot and fight lots of random monsters. As your level increases, your character(s) learn new spells, special abilities and stats bonuses which will come in very handy later in the game. You can add skill points to particular specialisms, eg. the characters handling of Swords, Bows, Axes etc. Each with their own pros and cons.

There are almost 300 monsters that exist in this game, so running around and levelling up isn't too monotonous. As you venture from one area to another, there can be a stark difference in difficulty but if you level-up sufficiently you shouldn't have too many problems. You will find that with boss fights, particular strategies are necessary. Each character will have their particular function to aid the team.

Also, there are other little quirks that have been used in the game to make it much more interesting. Each character can be equipped with different weapons, armour, and accessories, these can have varying effects in battle depending on the wearer. To add to the fun they introduce an alchemy pot that allows you to mix items that you collect to create new, and better, things that will benefit your team.

I have just completed the game for the first time and spent about 100 hours to get this far, but the time absolutely flies when you're fully engrossed in the story and focussing on progressing from one mission to the next. And the story doesn't end there, there are added bonuses once you've completed it the first time so the fun just keeps going.

This game is by far one of the most enjoyable and imaginative RPG's I've ever played. The creators have kept the gameplay simple and easy to grasp, and put together a great storyline, excellent visuals and sound to complete a great all-round game.
on 15 October 2013
This was the first game I ever played on the PS2 and I loved it!! Didn't get to buy my own PS2 till 7 years later. Couldn't wait to play this game again! And this time I'll actually get to finish it!

Story line is funny and great. Gameplay, battle system is standard of RPG games but still has a few differences. I would totally recommend other RPG gamers to play this! Hell, any type of gamer really! XD
on 5 May 2010
I was quite new to the Dragon Quest title but after enjoying the DS versions i thought i would go back in time and try the PS2 game.
To my surprise i actually enjoyed this one more! Full of great storyline and what seems like never ending gameplay i just couldnt put it down.
The graphics and voices were very suited to the game.
Not only is it a fun story to complete but also adds an extra area after Completion to give you a second ending.

Overall this game got 5 stars! An excellent game for RPG lovers everywhere.
on 19 September 2013
To heights that even Square Enix wishes they could reach with modern Final Fantasy games, Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King is gargantuan. Not just in scale, but also in the way that it presents it's story line and themes. Whilst a slow-burner, like most JRPGs, it's well worth staying in for. The combat is tactical turn based fun, with branching skills giving you the ability to customise your characters as you see fit. This game, is the game that made me want to play JRPGs.
on 5 February 2013
I ordered this game for its very low price, and for the fact that I love rpg. I really suggest it for people who like this kind of games, and for its really nice graphic, similar to an anime.
on 14 September 2015
My wife hasn't put it down since I bought it to replace the one we had worn out
on 26 July 2013
A brand new disk, I was well chuff one I open it up, if your a dragon aged fan then you no to get this on the cheap ! :)
on 30 November 2014
loving the story and the game works perfectly
on 28 January 2015
Brilliant, the last good rpg.

See one answered question