VINE VOICEon 14 July 2011
I like anything with 'Big Hearted Arthur' in and this is no exception. It has a reasonable story line - rare these days - and the number of 'faces' to be spotted is great as well, and nice to see the late Danny Ross on film - he played alongside Jimmy Clitheroe on the radio years ago and oddy, the name he played in those programmes was 'Alfie Hall, the same name as in this film, which is totally (seemingly..) unrelated as such. The film itself is a good copy in the transfer to DVD and quite pleasing and yes, you do laugh assuming you have a sense of humour of course, oh umm - one of the best bits is Robb Wilton as a Judge and the actual scene is also on You Tube. To see the peroid cars and roads without traffic parked is from a bygone age!. All in all, very entertaining and I have made a point to sit and watch this again should the 'wet afternoon with nowt on telly' crop up as its quite entertaining, no swearing or moments you would feel you ought to leave the room with other people present so just go and buy it.
One person found this helpful
on 27 January 2012
A real treat of a film and one which I haven't seen since the 60s. There's no room on tv for such classics now, next to the sophistication that is the X Factor and The Cube et al ad nauseam, so dvd is where we lovers of such delights turn for our fix of the long past great and good.

This one has it all; football (no hooligans). steam trains and Arthur Askey as a wily old fox of a driver, determined to see his son play in his debut match.

Good clean wholesome fun, lots of great support players and a nostalgic trip to a time when such innocent entertainment kept us rolling in the aisles (until the usherette took our dice away)
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 10 August 2016
Once again I purchased this DVD as a gift for my father as he is actually in the film as one of the children playing football in the back street scene.
Played and looked great and brought back many happy memories not just for my father but also myself, as we live in the Bolton area, where this film was set and made.
on 14 March 2013
I bought the DVD despite Arthur Askey rather than because of his input into the film and for people like me who are not fans of his it is still worth a look as he is in and out of it rather than being in every frame!

I would say it is the weakest of the Comedy Classics series that I've seen but it is still fun. If you like the Larkins then you'll probably enjoy this. :)
on 18 June 2014
I gave this a 5 star rating for being a great dvd.

as with other forgotten comedy classics this film is an oldie but a goodie, it is about two football mad railway engine drivers desperate to get back to see a match.

I would recommend this to anyone that likes classic old movies, but might not be for everyone.
on 20 February 2017
i grew up with these films and actors, its nice to think that they are still available, brilliant blast from the past i can't get enough of them
on 11 March 2017
Supurb comedy, Arthur askey at his Vest Best, and with a large number of big name comedy actor's backing h up, including Alfie Hall of the Clitheroe kid fame, they all do a great job !
on 9 June 2010
This is British Comedy at its absolute best and definitely deserves the word Classic from the stage play by Glenn Melvin who also stars in it along with Arthur Askey and several other well know British stars of the day, the cast and the way it is acted make it an absolute joy to watch. I was first recommended to watch this film by my Grandparents in the 1970's because they had seen the original play in Blackpool in the Early 50's and now over thirty years later they are still right its a gem and even now when i put it on my two teenage kids always sit,watch and laugh along with me they don't even mind the fact its black and white. Don't think you can get better "street cred" for a film than that.
5 people found this helpful
on 30 August 2017
Good film for me as l were a driver on the railway
on 15 June 2016
a classic , another one of Arthur's successes, a cheery plot , all turns out well in the end !