• Trust

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 September 2008
It takes a little while to get used to the harmonies on any Elvis Costello album as at first they appear buried in an unmelodic noise. However, this is the genius of Elvis Costello and if you listen again and again the music gets better and better until it is unrecognisable from the first hearings.

If you listen to Trust a dozen times I promise you will put it at the top of your favourite albums. Every track can move your emotions up or down and there isn't one I would take off the album as a weak song, they are all great once you get into them.

I have listened to Elvis for thirty years and this is the album I would recommend. Some tracks will have you dancing and singing along, and others will make you sad.

I don't normally do reviews, but this album is special. If you do like it, Imperial Bedroom is another beautiful, addictive Elvis album which comes in a close second place.
on 24 December 2007
One of the best things to happen to me in the late seventies was an introduction by one of my friends to the music of Elvis. I no longer see him but I will always owe him a debt of gratitude for the revelation he provided. How could I take a man who called himself Elvis seriously I thought? Then I heard the:

Music......Inventive,intelligent,passionate,thought-provoking and so much better than anything I had heard from bands of the time. You couldn't and still can't categorise Elvis. His music is simply not defineable in the simplistic, narrow terms some reviewers rather lazily refer to as 'New Wave','Punk' etc. It is understandable why they do this ie. the need for a term of reference. However, to do so is to miss what makes the man a 'great'. Part of what makes his music timeless, enduring, the reason why he has not gone the way of so many other bands of the day ..Why he is still making best selling records is precisely because he is not, was not, part of a 'scene'. As such I suppose a review such as this may not persuade potential fans to buy. After all we know what we like don't we? I would say, though, if you are bored of your collection, have not heard much of this guy, want to be stimulated by music again....BUY THIS.

Like great poetry some of his songs have the ability to open doors in your imagination; to challenge and illuminate. There are so many layers. 25 years on and I am still finding new interpretations, subtle nuances I had missed because I was just listening to the 'Music'. That brings me to the thing that makes this man such a giant. The sheer foot stomping, singing out loud rythmicallity of the Music. Even if he was not one of the best lyricists of his or any other generation the Music could still be enjoyed for its 'tunes'........This album?.......worth buying for 'Big sisters clothes' alone, but there are many classics. Of his 20 or so albums to date I would put this 5th. Just buy it. It isn't 70's 80's or 90's.or 00's..It's Costello...Trust me.
on 3 April 2015
Trust is a hidden gem at least in my view as good as Armed Forces or This Year's Model. If you like Elvis Costello and do not know this album buy it. If you do not know or think you do not like Elvis Costello buy it.
on 14 May 2013
This album takes me back to my childhood. Unique sounding and musically rich, this is Costello at his peak. I love it!