TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 May 2010
I only recently discovered this show, ten years after it went off the air, and I'm here wondering where it's been all my life! I was hooked from the very first episode. I've always loved westerns, and the original Magnificent Seven is a hell of a thing to live up to, but this TV series succeeds magnificently. Only two characters from the movie are retained, Vin (played by Eric Close) and Chris (Michael Biehn), whilst the others are reworked and renamed - the kid is no longer Mexican and is now named JD (Andrew Kavovit), the knife-fighter is an ex-slave turned healer named Nathan (Rick Worthy), the gambler is now a character called Ezra (Anthony Starke), instead of being Vin, and Vin is the one on the run from the law. Add to that a lothario named Buck (Dale Midkiff) and an ex-priest named Josiah (Ron Perlman), and you have the new Magnificent Seven. And magnificent they are.

Personally I'm particularly fond of the character of Vin Tanner, played by Eric Close. An ex-bounty hunter, ex-buffalo hunter, ex-tracker, who has lived with Comanche and Kiowa and adopted many of their ways, on the run from the law from a murder he didn't commit - he's laid-back, laconic, self-possessed, respectful, with a snarky sense of humour and a sawn-off shotgun always in his hand, and an absolute joy to watch.

The sights and sounds and smells of the frontier are brought wonderfully to life here, and every one of the characters is a joy to watch. It's a fantastic ensemble cast, rounded out by guest appearances from Robert Vaughn himself as a frontier judge. The show deals with many traditional issues from the Old West - the conflict between homesteaders and cowboys, the discovery of gold, the treatment of women and prostitutes, the casual brutality and violence. I'm only sorry this series is so short.
4 people found this helpful
on 1 June 2015
Great series, discovered by accident and very glad I did.
Just a shame that there is only 2 seasons of this......light-hearted entertainment, with some comic moments usually from the character of Ezra (best character in it!). If you are looking for something easy to watch, were the good guys beat the bad guys then you can't go too wrong with this.
on 13 October 2016
I ordered this item for my best friend, who has been serving in Kenya for the last 3 months. She is aWO2 in the British Army. She arrived home yesterday, unwrapped her gift, only to find it contained 2 discs, not the advertised 3. Am unable to return as I bought the gift over 30 days ago to avoid disappointment, only to experience it. Very Unhappy.
on 22 April 2017
I am a huge fan of western movies and series and this one ticks all the boxes for me. Excellent cast and I like this better than the original movie. Great.
on 13 June 2018
great item
VINE VOICEon 13 October 2009
Sorry to go against the grain of full marks by onloy giving 4 stars, but, for me though the show was a very good series the quality was very poor. It was like watching an old VHS. Weather this was done intentionally to make it look a bit old and rough I dont know, but it took a bit of getting used to whaen there is so much polish on shows these days and higher production values.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 April 2018
great item
on 5 April 2018
Adore
on 17 March 2017
really enjoyed this t v series , well worth it if you like westerns
on 12 April 2017
If you like good old clean westerns, this good