on 12 April 2017
Can't praise this highly enough. I followed the advice from other reviewers about watching YouTube videos to help. My kitchen sink gets blocked on a regular basis despite me being very careful - this is due to structural problems. I usually end up having to call out a plumber. But no more! Can't believe how easy it was to use. No more horrible annoying blocked sinks for me. I am now a strong, independent woman!!! :)
Now, most unfortunately, I don't know whether this was good, bad, or indifferent, for the following reason : the top line of the product description gives the dimensions as 6 metres length (great, what I wanted) and 6 mm diameter. Great, I measured my offending sink strainer holes, and this would fit. BUT BUT BUT : the tip of the auger is NOT 6mm, but 12mm. Too large by far.

Now, yes, perhaps I should have read further into the small print of product description, but I knew what I needed, and the top line gave me the (wrong) information.

This will of course be fine if you have tools to undo the U bend sink trap and gain access from there, rather than through the drainage hole. But due to the peculiarities of my sink installation and a lack of the wrenches to undo the U bend, this was a useless purchase for me. Fortunately Amazon accepted a return and refund as the listing lacks accuracy. Hopefully you won't make my mistake
on 22 April 2017
I've spent the last three days trying to unblock a seemingly permanent blockage in the waste outlet from our kitchen sink, using various unblocking devices including three lots of chemicals, plunger (no good because the washing machine & dishwasher wastes feed into the pipe, and aren't accessible), flexible rods, and duct-taping a hosepipe into the exterior drain output & shoving mains-pressure up there. The latter method seemed to work, but then the damned thing reblocked - I assume the blockage was just displaced and found its way back down.

This device arrived today, and within ten minutes of deployment the blockage emerged - a congealed lump of fat and what looked like washing powder. I followed the instructions on uTube as recommended here, and it was clear this device is just about ideal for the purpose. It managed to find its way round umpteen bends over what seemed an unfeasibly long distance, and then broke up the offending lump. A great bit of kit, well made, great price. Highly recommended!
on 4 January 2012
I gave this product a terrible review initially, because it came with no instructions, and I couldn't figure out how to use it effectively.

However, after searching YouTube for instructional videos on "How to use a Handheld Drain Auger", I managed to get the device to work properly. So the device itself is excellent. But the lack of instructions is a real issue.

It immediately cleared the blockage which more than 10 Litres (I kid you not!!) of Hydrochloric and Sulphuric Acid (the super-strong dangerous stuff plumbers use that dissolves anything it contacts), had been unable to clear. It took no more than 10 minutes. I wish I'd found the instructional videos before I wasted so much money on drain unblocking acids.

Anyway, for those who have no idea how to use the Auger and want some instructions, I'll explain how it worked for me:

1) Turn the screw on the end of the auger and pull out about 2 or so feet of cable, then tighten the screw again so the cable can't move in or out of the auger.

2) Put the springy head of the auger into the drain opening and start turning the auger (holding the 'gun' bit with one hand and rotating with the other).

3) While turning the cable, begin to SLOWLY feed/push it down into the drain. Try to keep the cable upright above the drain if you can. It's important to keep it turning while doing this so the cable begins to coil down into the drain by itself.

4) When the cable has mostly disappeared down the drain, stop turning/feeding it. Untighten the screw on the end and pull out another 2+ feet of cable, then tighten the screw again.

5) Repeat stages 2-4 until you feel some resistance - which probably means you've reached the blockage (though you may have already bashed/broken the blockage aside without even realising it).

6) As I was feeding the cable in, I made a habit of pausing for a minute and vigorously plunging up to about 12inches of the cable in and out of the pipe to try to scrape and dislodge any gunge that might be sticking to the sides of the pipes as I was going down.

7) If you have a complete blockage that you feel you've snagged, you can now pull the coiled wire back out of the drains (slowly feeding it back into the auger) and hopefully dragging the blockage out with you.

8) If you don't have a complete blockage, you might find it helpful, after a while, to turn on the hot water a little and repeat the plunging so that anything that is being dislodged as you feed the wire down is washed away down the drain.

9) As a final tip, I'd recommend running the hot tap once the blockage is cleared and further plunging the cable as you slowly feed it back into the auger. This will help clean the cable and wash off any smelly gunge that's been stuck to the cable on the way in.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
1111 Comments| 364 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2016
Had to use almost the full 6M of the drain unblocker to reach the blockage in a complex pipe work system with several bends etc. from hand basin to blockage. Retrieved a hairpin plus debris, which cleared blockage. Very pleased with price and capability of the tool.
on 14 May 2017
It is - just pants! and yes - I know how to use it, build quality of a low end China product (quite possibly it is) spring has absolutely no strength whatsoever and kinks and twists at every opportunity even with just a foot or so pulled out.

Treat it as a disposable item.
on 26 March 2017
Does the job. Be careful in use as zinc coating can mark whiteware. Fairly easily removed with CIF like product though.
on 17 May 2017
Not useful for big blockages in outside drain. Only for hair and minor blockages inside.
on 7 April 2017
Not used yet Could do with user instruction
on 28 April 2017