on 16 January 2008
I brought one of these recently although not from Amazon. I think this is an excellent little camera with a few caveats. The image quality is ok for everyday stuff, but when you play it through the AV cable on a big tv you can see it is not brilliant. It is also not great in low light. It has an 800K CCD for capturing images and the photo stills are at 640 x 480 - about 0.4 Mega pixels, which compared to most modern stills cameras is worthless, but then why would you take stills with a video camera? If you want a better picture then try the MG155 and MG175 version which I understand have a 1 Megapixel CCD so should be slightly better image quality (approx 30 or 40 pound more)or the MG275 which seems to get good reviews with a 2.18MP CCD but again more money! The menus on the 130 are easy to use and good looking and the HDD system for retrieving your sections of film is also very simple and much better than tape. I use Pinnacle Studio to edit my footage, and the MOV files prove no problem to import, as long as you select all files when searching for them as the MOV format doesn't appear to be that standard, although all my players (windows media, Nero Showtime will play the files no problem at all). In summary a great camera - image quality not brilliant but slightly better than my old MiniDV camera, and ovearall a good cheap all rounder, and best of all tiny to hold and dead easy to use.
on 11 February 2008
I think the title says it all. Really simple camcorder to use, used it straight out of the box with no hassles at all. Very impressed with the storage capacity.

I spent a long time researching which camera to opt for, and after many weeks of reading reviews and checking prices, I definitely made the right choice!

The reason for writing the review is to let people know that it is possible to use the simplest editing software, Windows Movie Maker, which is provided free with Windows. Earlier comments suggest the editing software which is bundled is not very good, but you just need to know how to use it.

On the CD that comes with the camera is an application called PowerDirector, this allows you to change the saved movie file from a .MOD file (the JVC standard extension) to a AVI or MPEG file for use with Windows Movie Maker or any other editing software.
Open PowerDirector
Import your .MOD files.
Add your .MOD files to the timeline (or) If you want to create individual .AVI or .MPG files, add the files to the timeline individually.
Once your timeline is setup how you'd like it, Click "Produce"
Now select Save to File
Finally Select .AVI or .MPG and select the directory that you'd like your file stored to.

It's that easy. Then edit to your hearts content!

Buy one - at this price you'd be daft not too!
11 Comment| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2007
I also don't understand the previus reviewer giving it one star. The camcorder is so easy to use my kids can do it and after using it myself AND using the provided software in the box transferring off the hard drive is a piece of cake. The only reason I can think of that someone may have problems is if they try to use another application to import their media, but JVC give you the Cyberlink in the box!! Anyway, yes the files are .MOD and are not usual file extensions, but with the provided Cyberlink software there is no way you can go wrong, great cam!
on 6 November 2007
I've had this camera for about six months now and I am very impressed with it. I don't understand why the other guy was having such problems with it? When I transfer it on to he PC I use the Cyberlink software that was provided and it does what I need it too. Without too much effort I can transfer my files on to a DVD and I've also played around with converting the .MOD files into .AVI using Power Director. I have a MacBook Pro that I use and it works on there too. Although I didn't get any Mac software with the camera, I don't need it as I have iLife 08 installed and it works brilliantly with it. Overall I am happy with this camera and when it comes time to upgrade (in a few years I hope!!) I will again be looking for a JVC.
on 9 July 2007
My old Panasonic VHS-C had been in need of replacement for some time but I'd procrastinated and deferred the decision while I pondered which format to get, HDD or DVD. I decided to plump for HDD because a hard disk is a little more future-proof than a consumable media format. Even DVD's I'm sure won't be around for that much longer.

Anyway, on to the camera.

Good points: It's tiny, weighs nothing, is well priced, a doddle to operate and just as easy to get the footage onto a computer where you can then have your way with it.

Bad points: Battery life not great (bigger capacity battery upgrade worth getting) and shady-looking people will eye it up enviously, everytime you take it out. That's about it.

I recommend.
on 4 November 2007
I don't understand the previous review, I have the same camera and have used it with the supplied software and Pinnacle Studio 11.
When using it with the supplied software, I downloaded the clips very quickly by USB and it produced preview thumbnails of my clips, wth no problem at all I selected clips and it then sent me into an editing software package, SIMPLICITY ITSELF! Within an hour I had burnt my kids birthday party onto DVD.
on 3 December 2007
What! a little cracker!! ..Paddy would say! and "That" sums up' this camcorder perfectly!. Like many techy Items today! it' requires abit of know how!. Easy for some... and hard to grasp by others.."But"..stick at it! and you will survive. I have a high spec HP machine and it struggled to install the supplied software CD but I'd put that down to my previous fiddling with my computer. Now! back to Paddy', this camcorder fits snugly in the hand and weighs next to nought!. I have only had a quick' go at it! round the home but! it's performance outstrips what I paid for it. Well worth buying.................................
on 11 October 2007
All is fine with the camera until you copy the video files to your computer. They are not recognized by any video editing software and won't even play in windows media player. It's all to do with the unique file extention .MOD. It's supposed to be an MPEG2, but nothing recognizes it. When I changed the file extention manually, windows media player played the audio only. A quick surf of the net showed that almost everybody else seems to have the same problem. I downloaded several conversion programs and although they did convert the files to mpeg, the quality was awful. The supplied software is by a firm called Cyberlink when I registered my purchase with them online I qualified for a free download of their VCD burning software - Guess what! It does not recognise .MOD files!!!

That said it is a really nice machine and easy to use.
55 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2008
I almost went for this camcorder, but in the end, I opted for a Sony DCR-SR62 camcorder. It cost just under £300, has a 30Gb hard disc built in and a touch-screen display, but has a 1.3Mp resolution. It really makes a huge difference on the quality of your videos.

I've got nothing against this particular JVC model, but at the time I knew nothing about camcorders, and am glad I chose to spend a little extra and go for the Sony. Hope this helps !
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2007
I'm sure the camcorder is fantastic. But, it hasn't been delivered, despite me paying for express next day delivery, so I really can't tell yet. Yes, I know it's Christmas and all that, but maybe Amazon shouldn't *guarantee* what they can't guarantee!