on 4 February 2011
I had been dreaming of owning an SLR camera ever since my first husband ran off with my prized Minolta SLR some 20 years ago - filter lenses and all accessories too! Yet having had a perfectly satisfactory series of Fuji digital compact cameras (which got dropped, stolen or lost in mysterious circumstances)I was reluctant to spend a very large sum of money on a digital SLR. However, on getting married a second time, we were presented with a number of gift vouchers - the perfect opportunity to purchase a camera. We dithered for some time over the Nikon D40 v. Canon, but eventually decided that since we had no pre-digital Canon lenses, there was no reason not to go with the Nikon. We also bought a longer lens for it (as the whole point of an SLR is that you can swap lenses.)
The camera was a revelation: well-built, easy to hold, with automatic focusing and easy controls to set aperture priority for incredible depth of field. Our first photos were sharp and detailed, although the 6 million pixel resolution probably isn't sufficient for poster-size enlargements. I still have not got the hang of all the wonderful things you can do with this camera, but the quality of the pictures we have taken is amazing. Professional-looking portraits; great wildlife shots; superb pics in low-light conditions. And so easy to use, you take it out of the box and shoot. An excellent buy.
on 12 October 2016
after having this for a few months i can confirm it is a good camera but upon taking images against the light i can see dust spekles and bits in all images....when on screen ?
VINE VOICEon 31 October 2007
This is an excellent Nikon camera. A word of warning though, check before buying that it has a Nikon warranty. The camera arrived promptly from purelygadgets. There was no Nikon warranty enclosed. It gets worse. The camera could not be registered on the Nikon EU/UK website. Why one may wonder? The camera registration number was not recognised. Unless made for the UK market registration is not possible. Without the Nikon warranty or registration, should a fault emerge in the camera you would have to depend upon purelygadget's 18 month warranty. But that is not Nikon who provide a two year warranty, with an option to purchase an extended warranty. Had I known these facts in advance, I would not have bought the camera from purelygadgets.
on 20 August 2014
item was as described and on time as promised
on 23 October 2014
Product is excellent and entirely met our expectations.
on 15 May 2016
It's now 2016 and I bought this camera in 2007. Some reviewers here complain of circuit board faults and failures,however I have experienced NO issues with my D40X and it's still in regular use producing fine quality images . I have a camera with a 20MP rating that's a little over 10 months old,retails at over £350 and still doesn't shoot as well,or provide image quality that rivals this little Nikon. If,even now,what with it's age,you fancy a decent quality SLR,you couldn't go far wrong by buying one of these,provided it's been looked after,of course. Mine,despite a gushing and short review,is not for sale!
on 31 October 2007
I have a D80 and a D40X, and I am probably going to sell the D80, the D40 is smaller, lighter and just as quick in operation, the image quality is identical, actually the JPEGS straight from the camera are actually nicer from the D40X, more consumer friendly and require less or no post processing, and the big big advantage of the D40X over the D80 is the metering.

In my opinion the matrix metering on the D80 is rubbish, the camera is excellent in every other respect, but the quirky metering leads to way too many overexposed shots, I dont/cant use matrix metering on the D80, most require between -0.3 to -0.7 EV compensation even in evenly lit situations....Oh Joy oh Joy, this seems to be completely resolved on the D40X with great reliable metering, I have experienced no issues, the D40X metering is consistent hooray !!

If you are happy with the D40(X) viewfinder (which is good but even better on the D80)...are not worried about no AF motor for older lenses (dont even worry about it if you dont know what this means), then save yourself at least £200 and get the D40X...or even consider the even cheaper D40 (theres not much between the two for image quality)

Oh and the kit 18-55 lens is really pretty good with little distortion at wide angle.... Most people need not go to the expense of the D80 (which is an excellent camera please dont misunderstand me) in my opinion, highly recommended
on 9 May 2007
I finally took the plunge and abandoned film and I'm not regretting it. This camera is everything a serious amateur needs in a DSLR - get it out of the box, charge the battery, set to auto and off you go. But read the thick instruction manual and you'll soon find that the flexibility of the manual settings and the ability to do everything and more a top-end film SLR can do will get your creative juices going! I upgraded to the excellent 18-135mm AFS zoom, to give a bit more range and reduce the need to keep changing lenses which can cause dust to get inside onto the sensor. In RAW format the 10.2M sensor produces files of 9Mbytes, so get yourself a decent SD card - I went for the Transcend 2Gbyte 150X which is really good value for money and fully compatible. I disagree with the other reviewer - in fact a whole range of legacy Nikon lenses can be used, you just won't get autofocus with them.
Like a lot of people i bought this camera as i was fed up with the image quality in compacts;I can really say this is the first camera i've had that takes pictures with the "Wow" factor!!Lovely design,not bulky,easy to carry around.
Kit lens is superb.I've tried Canon,Sony and Pentax 10 MB DSLRs but the D40x offers great value and amazing quality.
Buy quick and you can claim 60 quid cashback from Nikon!
Highly recommended.
on 27 February 2011
I recently attended a 2 day indoor event to which I intended to take both my D300 and D90 camera bodys however due to space limitation in my camera bag so I settled on my D90 and my old (and unused for over a year) D40X.

Although I shoot in RAW I prefer to get my exposure, colours, white balance as accurate as possible in order to save on editing later. I can honestly say that I struggled with the D90 to try and replicate the results I was getting with my little D40X. I got close but never quite managed it.

I even borrowed the mighty Canon 7D off another photographer and took a few shots using his settings. The resultant images that I saw in his lcd screen were no where near as sorted as the ones from my little Nikon.

I was thinking of selling the camera but now I have realised just how good it can be I am going too keep it and start using it again.

08.02.14 Sold it a few months ago but the guy who bought it says that his wife loves it and won't let him have it back.