VINE VOICEon 10 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I tested this software on my son's new Vista PC (his McAfee subscription had run out!) and on an old crate running Windows ME which is still hooked up to our network. Although it doesn't mention it supports ME, the software installed and ran with no problems on the older machine.

Install was a little cumbersome on both systems - once in place, the software downloads several hefty updates and needs several reboots before it's fully up and running. There's no manual with the product and some of the features - like the security zoning - takes some getting used to. Initial scan results were a little confusing, especially in the security vulnerabilities section - there was little explanation about some of the "problems" found and it was difficult to know whether to cure or ignore. On the old PC, the anti-virus software sent a confusing message about one Trojan which it claimed to have both deleted and not deleted. However, on the whole the system seemed thorough and flexible - you can tweak the settings so it doesn't interfere with iTunes, Skype, etc - and schedule scans to run when it suits you.

The licence lets you install on up to 3 PCs simultaneously, so you can protect your laptop or other family members' computers as well as your own. However, be aware that Iolo doesn't run alongside any other anti-virus software (though it cohabits happily with Spyware Doctor!) so you need to uninstall any other system before you start with this one.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are many products for PC protection. This one follows a similar suite with anti-virus, firewall and spyware etc, however it has no spam protection and no parental control and private data protection. Which is a shame as most products nowadays have these features part of the parcel.

One thing you will notice with this tool is it has a user friendly interface, looks big and bold and looks simple. I guess this tool is for basic users and advance users may want to look else where for their protection.

Another thing i find odd is that as soon as i start my pc from sleep, hibernation or even a restart it doesn't download no virus definitions as other products do, that to me is pretty worrying, a majority of products on the market by defualt start downloading the latest updates, this for some reason does it at a pre-determined time.

The spyware is pretty mediocre and I feel it doesn't do the job. I have kaspersky and kaspersky can detect pretty much everything going, this feel very short. The only thing that this product is good at is the ant-virus detection. It detected to trojans on my system. But I kept them there on purpose. Although it failed to clean one of them saying it needed to clear on next reboot. Kaspersky just deletes them. The trojans were mild so no issue and also I could manully delete them so why couldn't Iolo.

Overall, an okay product I fell is geared towards basic users. If you want full protection then stick with another product like Kaspersky, Zonealarm etc.
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was very easy to instal even for a beginner like me. Simple clear steps and very easy to use
VINE VOICEon 7 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was offered a copy of iolo System Shield 3 and as my subscription to Mcafee had just expired thought I would try something different.

I inserted the disc, entered the two codes needed to validate the software and away it went. I didn't need to enter my personal details like Full name, Email and inside leg measurement that I have with Norton and Mcafee in the past.

The software took about 10 mins to upload and it had a couple of updates that downloaded after the initial set-up that took a further 15 mins or so.

I set up various settings that informs the software whether you have Skype, iTunes, file sharing etc on your system and that was it.

I presume it is now just doing its thing behind the scenes!
VINE VOICEon 30 August 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll start off by saying if you want an all-in-one PC protection suite then this has to be on your list. Certainly if you want one that you merely insert the disk, type in the authorisation code and then let it set everything up automatically.

Iolo are not a new name in PC maintenance. They do System Mechanic applications, so obviously know their Windows stuff. This antivirus, firewall and system protection suite is definitely a mature product, which installs painlessly with a couple of reboots. On installing it immediately connects to obtain the latest version so try to ensure you are online when you install it. The user interfaces are brought up by clicking on one of the three system tray icons it installs, with major applications such as the AOL and Skype software easily enabled in the firewall.

The antivirus seems to be effective enough. I quickly did a test against a known speed check site and the firewall did not affect my download or upload speeds in any way. Monitoring outbound traffic is not enabled by default so if you require this, it's easily switched on. Configuration is quite a painless process should you want custom security settings.

The package promises that system resources won't be hogged. This seems to be the case as it doesn't seem to be heavy on processor resources, even when doing a deep system scan. If it continues as it has started it can stay on my workstation, although a few minor GUI niggles I have will take some getting used to (but that's just me I expect). Certainly better than some big-name bloatware applications in the same field which are best avoided.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Asides from a bit of initial 'faffing' whereby I had to reboot my laptop 3 times in a row after installing this programme to install updates that appeared as soon as I'd just rebooted, this has been largely unintrusive. I'm not that well informed about the mechanisms of these various programmes. If something doesn't slow down the processing speed of my pc, doesn't overly 'pop-up' picks up spyware, viruses etc before they become a problem then I like them and rate this on that basis.
Some people have stated that this has slowed their systems down whereas other programmes I have tried which have been lauded have slowed mine down so maybe it's a case of suck it and see. There's a 2 sided leaflet inside that tells you how to install it with details of their website for customer care etc. There seem to be 3 main facets to this, the firewall, the antivirus and the spyware and system vulnerabilities. I have found it a bit confusing trying to decypher the results of the spyware scan, it details quite an unclear breakdown regarding the problem in technical terms without really telling you what it is compared to something like Zonealarm (which I also liked) which told you in simple terms where and what type of spyware it is. I have just trusted that it knows what it's doing and clicked the 'repair' button when told to!
The aformentioned scan is very quick, little more than a minute, the anti-virus scan maybe 6 or 7 mins. I've had it running for a few weeks and as I say have had no obvious slowdown, crashes etc so all I can say is that it works for me.
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
While it is somewhat difficult to get overly enthusiastic about anti-virus software, as we all know it is (unfortunately) vital for the health of our computer. So how does Iolo perform, well it seems good. I haven't had any problems with my old virus killer, and the computer seems in good health, but it was time for an updated version. The first scan showed my computer to have nothing at all suspicious on it. What makes this software pretty good is that it includes an internet firewall with easily changeable settings-even detecting websites you have used regularly in the past and through a simple box ticking session, knowing that these can fall into its' "trusted" category. It claims to be effective against spyware, hackers, as well as your common computer virus. Price wise it's pretty reasonable, although being a lesser known name it could perhaps be a little lower to tempt in new buyers. Furthermore it's compatible with both XP and Vista and can be used on up to 3 computers, which is certainly a bonus.

So why the four rather than five stars? A simple reason-when I inserted the product into my computer, I have never heard such a sound. It sounded like a pneumatic drill, in fact on first second and third try I instantly ejected the CD worried my computer was about to explode. I tried it on two computers to check it wasn't the CD drive. However the good news is that if you perservere for approximately 5 seconds the sound and rumbling disappear into an overly quiet loading proceedure.

Looking for a reasonably priced update for your virus-killing software? If yes then this is the product for you!
VINE VOICEon 3 September 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found this a reasonable product to use but to be honest, some free versions are a ton easier to use IMHO. I had problems with my initial install into XP whereby it appeared to kill both Firefox and IE8. I wrote to their support after wading through all the choices to realise nobody else had had this particular problem, but as yet, more than 3 weeks later, I'm still waiting for any form of response! :( On the plus side it runs fine in Windows 7 and I'd no problem with my browsers in that OS.

One aspect of this program I really dislike is the high number of instances you have to do something to keep it running smoothly e.g. download an update, run an install program after the download, reboot your PC. All of these are things that other cheaper or free programs don't require you to do constantly as IOLO does.

Like others, I've little idea on whether it's actively doing a good job or not, but presume it is. However, I doubt I'll continue to use it to be honest, as I can't deal with all the work involved with it - I much prefer a program I can load up and forget about entirely - one that updates silently without any input required from me, and one which can apply the updates without having to reboot, so that's why it's only getting a 3 from me! I'm reverting back to my free one again.
VINE VOICEon 30 August 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Iolo System Shield 3 is an anti virus and firewall product, with an interface that looks very similar to a number of other products available on the market. As with so many of these products, you need to be a bit PC savvy to install, as there is very little documentation with the CD. So, after removing various spyware and similar tools already loaded, I was able to install, and then start the process of configuration. This was hampered by the fact that the firewall would not allow Google Chrome browser to load - fortunately I still had Firefox loaded.
Main complaint - trying to use their customer care centre : it invites you to contact them, fill in a long web form with your issue, and it put up a series of articles in their knowledge base, none of which answered the problem. Sorry, a product like this needs proper support, and so I can't rate this product any higher than 3 stars.
And is it working? Well, I think so, it loads up on startup, so I have to assume that it is.
VINE VOICEon 29 August 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this product today and was keen to try it out as I was sure there was some sort of infection on my laptop. My husband says I was foolish for ordering it as I already had a free anti-virus system which I use frequently but I wasn't convinced it was working and I was right. After installation, I ran a full scan and discovered there was a virus and it is now safely quarantined. Incidentally, I had just run a scan with my other system which did not show anything. Therefore, I am delighted with this product as it worked very efficiently. It also revealed I had 66 spyware problems which it has repaired.
On a more negative note, it took a while to install on my laptop (but that could've been because I had a virus!)
This works, some of the free systems clearly don't. I therefore recommend this product wholeheartedly. I'm certainly delighted to have it!