on 20 September 2010
One of my favourite shows of all time. Only caught a bit of it as it was hidden away on late-night TV in Australia without any advertising, something that often happens to brilliant shows here. So I was very happy when I bought the dvds of the whole series.

The incredible 'sweary' language hits you at first - one of the big risks of concentrated watching is that you start to talk like Malcolm Tucker, which I have a feeling wouldn't go down well at work.

I believe that the series was first conceived as a vehicle for Chris Langham, but the overall acting and characterisation, not to mention hilarious dialogue, makes it more of an ensemble series.

This is a series that you can watch over and over again, picking up more bits of the fast-paced and witty dialogue with its packed references to popular culture ('how do you do that, Malcolm?' - 'I'm a shapeshifter') - not to mention decoding Malc's accent. It's one of those programs that has you screaming with laughter and cringing at the same moment. A must for connoisseurs of British humour.
on 21 March 2010
Words fail me. Most of them would be swear words anyway.
This is one of the finest pieces of mockucom I have ever seen.
The cast are all perfectly pitched and the editing creates a great real-feel, even though real civil servants will tell you government is nothing like this behind closed doors (which they would).
Peter Capaldi begins to carve out one of the finest comedy characters as the ferocious Malcolm Tucker in this series but credit has to go to Chris Langham as the hapless/lazy/misanthropic MP Hugh Abbott. One cannot help but delight in every discomfort he experiences in his daily life as an elected minister for some vague department of something-or-other.

The DVD extras are also fantastic, with an in-depth demonstration of the editing of the show's improvisational style and a slew of deleted scenes which add some extra laughs.
on 8 May 2009
Okay, it is no doubt a fiction, but it is such a well written and well acted show that believability is very high. As a career corporate PR man I can't help but cheer for the magnificent Malcolm Tucker as he strives to make the fools he works with look better than they and their actions deserve. If only I had such scope to operate.

It's a show that rewards repeated viewings, both because you "get" the humour better over time, and because there is great nuance and attention to detail, or at least the illusion of such, I suspect it is due to the freedom given the actors to improvise with the roles, making every character seem fully developed and having a life beyond the screen.

Classic stuff.
on 11 January 2010
What can I say but that this is British comedy at its best.

Done in a fly-on-the-wall documentary style, it tells of the hilarious goings-on in the ministerial offices in Whitehall. The acting is brilliant and realistic and the dialogue extremely witty and clever; if you don't pay attention you will miss some jokes. You won't be able to stop yourself bursting out in laughter and there are few comedies that have this effect. "Yes Minister" was mildly humerous and congenial compared to this raucous, blow-your-head-off type of comedy. There's so much going on in one episode, that you can watch it a number of times and still get the same enjoyment out of it.

Certainly not one to miss, if you can stand the bad language.
on 20 January 2018
The Thick of It deserves to be awarded 'national treasure' status!
on 30 August 2015
The DVD arrived in excellent condition - good as new. Great price & very speedy delivery. What more can you ask for ?!!
I love 'The Thick of It' and Peter Capaldi is brilliant. Makes me laugh so hard that my sides hurt !! (-:
on 24 November 2016
For me at it's funniest in these early shows. Crackling writing and acted well by the strong cast.
on 11 October 2012
I didn't quite know what to expect when I bought The Thick of It. I wasn't disappointed, but surprised. It is funny but in a bitingly satirical way. Although I enjoyed it, I don't think it is quite my cup of tea. The characters are not likeable in any shape or form, from the cynical press secretary to the hapless, clueless secretary of state and the bumbling advisers, it presents a government with no policies, integrity or ideas whose views and actions are shaped by newspaper headlines. Also the spin and moral ambiguity seemed a bit too real for my liking!
on 19 December 2009
There's no need to introduce the series (perfect!) but I would like to say thanks for the subtitles (I think in this case it's really important for non-native speakers!).
You can also choose Commentaries.

The first disc (apart from the first 3 episodes) contains also:

- Bonus Scenes for all 3 episodes
- From Script to Screen (where Armando Iannucci talks us through the whole process using the second episode as an example - and the scripts are available in .pdf)
- Still Galleries (Behind the Scenes and Production Stills)

The second disc contains (apart from the second 3 episodes):

- Bonus Scenes for all 3 episodes
- Peter Capaldi's Photos
- Production Stills
on 3 February 2010
Addictive viewing with brilliant acting and scripts. We've all worked for someone like Malcolm at sometime in our careers. A schemer, liar and bully, what more could you ask. If your sensitive about swearing, don;t buy.