Style Name: Shredder|Change

on 11 January 2008
It's not often I find the time to reveiw a product and I have certainly bought a lot from Amazon and am always impressed by their service. After having several of the everyday cross cut shredders which are too small and unbelievably cumbersome and messy to empty, this one is a dream come true! I work from home so I have a lot to shred! This one has a drawer, with a little window to view how full it's getting, so you only need to pull it out and empty. Very little mess involved and a much larger capacity than the everyday ones you can buy everywhere. Takes up to 10 sheets of 80 gsm paper and even has a credit card slot!
I paid £66.93, which included postage, from an Amazon Market Trader called 'The Warehouse.Com. I ordered it Sunday evening and it arrived Tuesday morning! Unbelievable service!
0Comment| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 April 2012
I purchased this product new in October 2009.

As other reviewers have noted, it is quite noisy and doesn't take 10 sheets of paper at a time.

Most significantly for me, it has recently stopped running continuously when fed with paper: it runs for a couple of seconds, then stops so, to get it to shred a sheet of A4, you need to switch the machine on, then off (when it stops), then on again, repeatedly. This is obviously a major inconvenience and kind of defeats the object of having a sheet shredder in the first place.

The Amazon warranty is only 1 year; the Swordfish warranty only 2 years; so I'm out of time to obtain a repair/replacement! When I contacted the Swordfish-recommended service agent, he indicated it sounded as if the circuit board controlling the shredder was faulty but said he could not obtain spares to effect a repair anyway.

Given the machine has had only light domestic use over the last 30 months I've owned it, I am extremely disappointed by its short working life, particularly since it is not a cheap machine to start with. You might care to factor this information into your buying decision - I am looking for a replacement now and will be steering well clear of Swordfish shredders!
2121 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 April 2008
I've had several cheapo shredders and all failed miserably within a couple of weeks. To be honest, I did not really think paying more would necessarily mean getting a decent device that reliably does what it says on the tin. I need not have worried. This shredder is just great. It has a really usefully sized hopper for colecting all that shredded paper, as well as thoughtfully designed wheels on the base to help glide it around my home office. The shredding function could not be simpler - nor easier to use. So long as you are sensible with not putting too much paper through, it shredds wonderfully. The additional ability to shred credit cards is just great - and has saved me from spending more money than I need to! The ability to also shred CDs/DVDs is also there - but I've not yet had call to use it. I have no doubt it will be as effective as the other functions on this well made, very solid device.

If you want a decent shreddder that is likely to last well, I'd strongly recommend this one.
on 24 December 2008
Just worn out our last shredder a Fellows and replaced it with the Swordfish 1000xc it is so quiet compared to the Fellows and gobbles up paper and stapples easily. I sat shreading last night for twenty minutes and it didn't over heat once. Also the infra red start switch is great you dont have to ram the paper into start it unlike the Fellows sheader.
I can recommend this shreader
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2011
After reading some of the reviews of this product I decided to buy one to replace my Fellowes machine which overheated very quickly.It arrived within three days.It has a heavy motor,stands upright without effort,shreds quickly and has a good size paper container.However ten sheets is pushing it and buried in the handbook instructions it states that the machine must not be run continually for more than THREE MINUTES to prevent overheating and automatic cut out. You are also advised to oil it very often with special shredder oil.So I would recommend buying the oil or oiling sheets before you use it.
on 16 September 2009
I bought the Swordfish Cross Cut 1000XC shredder because it was a Which? Magazine Best Buy. I'm very happy with the way it copes with up to 10 sheets of paper and doesn't mind the odd staple.

A concern is that it gets quite warm if you leave it plugged into the electric mains, even with the power switch in the Off position. This suggests that the transformer is on the mains side of the switch - perhaps a design flaw? Anyway I unplug it after use.
on 3 May 2010
Having worn out several 'home shredders' in the £30 to £60 price range, I decided to splash out and pay a little more for this shredder and am really pleased that I did.

It is (compared to my previous "Fellows" machines)quick and very easy to use. I use shredder oil on the teeth about every two or three bins full. It takes 5 or 6 sheets of A4 easily, and at this rate I have worked the machine on continuious runs for well over two hours at a time - only once did it stop due to an over-heat cut-out, not bad at all.

If you are considering a new shredder, I can fully recommend this one as a "heavy-duty" home-office machine. It is not industrial and I suggest that you do not run it at the full recommended load of 10 or more sheets (less haste, more speed is the order of the day).
on 8 August 2009
Purchased for use in a small office environment. Been in regular use for about a month now and delighted with the Swordfish 1000XC. It has eaten up everything thrown at it and not once jammed up. Complete contrast to its predecessor, a Fellowes Shredmate.
on 19 November 2009
Bought this to replace a Fellowes Shredder which struggled and clogged easily. This one performs similarly and needs a rest and lubrication quite frequently. My use is not large - a few minutes per week but tends to be done in one or two sessions. Both my old and this shredder were mentioned in "best buy" tables so I wonder what the poor ones perform like. This shredder also spills shreddings easily when the drawer is opened.. it does have a lerge capacity however. The Fellowes shredder was less prone to spill. Finally the unit comes with castors which are extremely difficult to fit.
on 12 June 2009
I am not sure if this company were waiting round the corner. I ordered this late afternoon. Then somehow early next morning it arrived, all the way from Scotland to suffolk in less than 18hours. Unbievable.

Oh and by the way the shredder is excellant. this was a 2nd purchase for another office. They are great