Size: 10mm x 120cm|Change

on 25 January 2012
It weights practically nothing, its cheap, and its very versatile.

I have it permanently mounted on my bike. I run one hoop through the other on the front of the bike (in the triangle between the top tube and the down tube) and coil the rest of the cable around the top tube and velcro the tail end to the seat post. In this fashion its totally out of the way when I'm riding. When I lock up my bike, all I do is uncoil and run the tail end through the front wheel and back to the lock. I don't undo the front of the cable, its permanently looped around the front of the bike.

I find this to be the fastest and least cumbersome way to use the cable.

I also use the cable to lock my bike around larger diameter poles that my main lock won't fit around, but naturally only for short periods.

If your only need is to lock your front wheel, then I suggest getting a small cable lock and lock the wheel to your frame. It will be a lot easier and quicker to use on a day to day basis. However if like me you prefer to have the versatility of a longer cable, then I would recommend this lock.

I would give it 5 stars, but both Sterling and Squire make versions of these in 12mm thickness for about the same price (compared to Kryptonite's 10mm). Many would dismiss the 2mm difference as negligible, but consider the cross sectional area for each cable. Using Pi x Radius squared, cross sectional area for 10mm cable is 314mm squared, whereas it is 452mm sqared for 12mm cable. That's a lot more metal to cut through, and it might just make the difference.
22 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2010
If you have a lock already and want an added deterent then you can't go wrong with this. It's fine locking your frame securely but you want to make sure the little gits don't nick your wheels. This is ideal and will make the gits think twice before trying to steal your wheels. Definately worth the money.
on 2 September 2010
A couple of bike hardend commuters graphically explained to me the number of times saddles and other portable items were filched, so with this in mind I purchased the cable to suppliment my heavy krypto NY lock to secure my seat and helmet and use it every time.

NOTE - I use this AS A SUPPLIMENT TO MY PRIMARY SECURITY. This is for accessories, not the bike itself!!!

It is a very useful length and I can use it as a noose as well as a loop.

It is a substantial 10mm ( a higher grade than the basic 4mm saddlekeeper/ saver) and ups the ante for the would be thief.

IN A NUTSHELL.... TIED UP FOR GOOD!
on 12 July 2010
Why would you not want one of these?
You already have one.
Why would you not want a second one of these?

The key to these is the ability to push one end through the loop on the other making a small noose around your front wheel while leaving the remaining length to hold your helmet, pass through your frame and then link to your D-Lock.

You do have a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini Lock don't you?
on 24 May 2015
solid addition to the kryptonite New york Lock i got at the same time, I use the new York lock to lock the frame and rear wheel and this to lock the front wheel.

This is the thickest cable lock i could find, has a good plastic/rubber coating and is nice and light. this is a good addition to a D-Lock but i really wouldnt use it with a pad lock as the main way of securing your bike, wire lock are just too easy to cut though.
on 30 August 2011
When accessing the city-centre by bike, especially if the value is above £200, looks new and well cared for and maybe with quick-release wheels, in addition to a good quality D-lock, this cable is essential.
Feed the cable round the front wheel, thread one looped end through the other and then the end loop onto one D lock arm which captures the frame and rear wheel.
Well made and actually does prevent theft.
on 13 September 2011
Ideal to use with a decent D lock. I feel it is worh having this extra protection. carrying can be a problem, my son lost his after not attaching it securely while he was moving. I bend mine in half, feed it through the top of my rear rack and use the velcro tie. Bit of a faff but better than having to keep it in a rucksak or pannier I feel.
on 11 October 2011
Excellent product that I use in conjunction with Kryptonite high spec. D lock. Comfortably secures a wheel as well as the frame, Slightly short to secure the two wheels unless D lock covers both the frame and rear wheel. Will definitely continue to buy Kryptonite products as they ARE the best.
on 16 July 2013
It wouldn't protect your bike from getting stolen, I mean, you could cut this cable with a cheap tool, but still, it adds an extra layer of protection to your bike. It goes well with a Kryptonite D lock. The length is ok for just wrapping it around the front wheel and then back to the D lock on the back wheel. If you want an extra cable for your saddle or any other accessory, just get the 7ft long version.
on 2 April 2014
Very happy with this overall. Good price too.

Not very easy to bend and put in a bag though and not sure if it is the most secure system to use but i didnt buy it for that reason and my bike is only worth about £20 so thats a deterrent in itself!