• Robyn

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 July 2007
Yes, it's the same Robyn who had a few cute (and pretty memorable) hits in the late 90s. Somehow she got elbowed from our airwaves in favour of Britney, Christina et al, and you'd be forgiven for forgetting she ever existed. Which would be a bit of a shame really.
I hold up my hand, as an alleged "grown up" and lover of music with proper guitars, etc - I like this record. Quite a lot. I don't like *every* track without exception, but a number of songs, especially the tearstained angst of "Be Mine" and the frenetic "With Every Heartbeat", are nothing short of fantastic. "Bum Like You" is the best song (or perhaps the *only* song) I've ever heard about falling for a tramp (unless I'm taking her too literally) and "Robot Boy" falls just the right side of cutesy - which is a lot more than can be said of Gwen Stefani's "Sweet Escape" single.
Refreshing to hear a female singer warbling about something other than "I love him/he's a pig/I can't get over him" etc (although she seems to do these equally well, to be fair - see "Eclipse").
It would seem Radio 1 are now playing "Heartbeat", so I'm expecting to hear a lot more people wondering aloud, as I did; "haven't I seen that girl before somewhere? She looks awfully familiar..."
And, for the record, am I the only one who thinks she occasionally sounds a little like Kate Bush on helium? Which isn't a bad thing in any way... Listen to the beginning of "Heartbeat" and you'll hear it.
Buy it - you maybe won't like every song. I'm finding "Who's That Girl" a little too reminiscent of the Madonna track of the same name (and that wasn't exactly Madge's pinacle of excellence - although I probably shouldn't admit to being old enough to remember it!) and I'm not particular taken with the down-wit-the-ho's rapping on "Bitches", but hey, if Ms Furtado can get away with it then it's worth a go... My feeling is that she's maybe trying a number of different styles to find out what works best and much respect to her for that.
on 8 April 2007
I really didn't know what to expect from this album, i bought it on the strength of the first single Konichiwa Bitches...I'm so glad i did, this is an original, brilliantly written and a must own album, i recommend it to everyone, step aside Gwen Stefani,Fergie and the like, Robyn sets a new standard that others will find hard to match, let alone surpass! Buy it now!!
on 17 July 2007
This is such an amazing record, as it has an original, out there sound which is a breath of fresh air from the tired pop that makes the charts these days. Musically it sounds like a cooler Gwen Stefani without the tired R&B influence, Pizzicato 5, and Prince when he used to have a stroke of genius. My favourite songs are Konichiwa Bitches, which is an insane record, and the fantastic Bum Like You, a truly unconventional love song, but every single song on this album is an absolute corker. The vibe on some of the songs remind me a lot of Len's catchy hit a few years ago, Steal my sunshine, and some of the lyrics as well will undoubtedly bring a smile to your face. Long live Robyn, this album is a must have!
on 13 April 2007
I can only add to the already glowing reviews for Robyn. I was a huge fan back in the 90s, and I hear Be Mine about 3 years ago and was waiting for the big come back. Couldn't wait to get my hands on this new material that Sweden have been enjoying for some time now, especially after seeing her live in March, in a fantastic small gig.

My only critisim is the exclusion of the ballad version of Be Mine which was the EP record - its absolutley heart breaking (especially live), and could make someone fall in love with Robyn as an artist.

I hope Robyn gets the respect she deserves for this album, as she's doing this kind of progressive pop alot better than someone like Gwen, Fergie et al. Or maybe we want to keep her all to ourselves? If she could get listed on Radio 1, I'm sure something like Be Mine could be a huge hit.
VINE VOICEon 23 April 2007
Robyn's "previous" career is all a million miles away from the Robyn of today. Now she's seen as the epitome of cool by those pop pundits "in the know."

Still despite the proclamations, upon hearing the Konichiwa Bitches single I remained a little nonplussed. It was alright, but not exactly my favourite song ever. In fact it was almost an attempt to be too left-field; as if making pop music didn't mean having to have such a thing as a catchy chorus. Still, lyrically it was one of the sharpest pop songs of the year so in it's own way it did mean that there was bound to be a lot to look forward to as the album finally got it's official UK release.

And thankfully not everything is as wilfully difficult as that song was. Who's That Girl is the best song the Sugababes have never done, Jamelia wouldn't be whoring herself out with sample-heavy singles if someone could write something as good as Handle Me for her and, quite frankly, Pink would deserve the mass acclaim she recieves if she did something as fresh and as funky as Cobrastyle.

These are far from the only highlights, with another great track being the ever so slightly lyrically x-rated Should Have Known.

It doesn't always work, Crash And Burn Girl for instance sounds like the kind of insipid "floor-filler" Liberty X might try to pass off as sublime pop, and album closer Anytime You Like is just too dull for my palate, but these are just mere trifles. For the most part the album certainly does work.

Robyn has spent years in the wilderness in the UK. If there's any justice, this album should see all of that change.
on 1 April 2007
Robyn is simply a true musical genius. Not caring about what is considered "safe" or "popular" she writes and makes music true to herself (changing two record companies in the process of finding herself musically). Her newest CD "Robyn" is no exception. Every song on the CD is worth a listen, absolutely no skippable tracks. From the opening "Curriculum Vitae" to the ending "Anytime You Like" you are pulled into the journey and and amazing ride that is "Robyn".

1. Curriculum Vitae 5/5

This opening is definitely one of a kind. A very tongue-in-cheek enterlude that is perfect preperation for the journey you are about to embark on :)

2. Konichiwa Bitches 5/5

Named in Rolling Stone as one of the top 50 songs of 2005 (yes it has been around for a while now and has QUITE a following amongst Robyn fans) and it deserves as much. Absolutely hilarious, musically creative and at 2:54 seconds, it definitely leaves you wanting more.

3. Cobrastyle 4/5

I don't think this is Robyns best work as of yet, but it is definitely a beautifully crafted, musically original song. Well done.

4. Handle Me 5/5

Probably one of my all-time favorite Robyn songs, its really simple music-wise, but her voice makes it so beautiful and flawless, plus the lyrics are great as well

5. Bum Like You 5/5

Yet another Robyn classic about loving somebody with no redeeming qualities and yet you would do anything for them, and have done a lot already. Almost sad in a way. Great song.

6. Be Mine

My absolute favorite Robyn song of ALL-TIME! This is pure pop perfection. Everything about this song is perfect. Great beats, great lyrics (although they are somewhat sad), and great vocals by Robyn. Its absolutely perfect. Definitely the best of the bunch.

7. With Every Heartbeat 5/5

A beautiful, somewhat fast-paced song with haunting lyrics and vocals by Robyn. Another one of my favorites.

8. Who's That Girl 5/5

This is another favorite of mine, this is Robyns take on how she felt abused by her earlier record companies in their attempt to make her another pretty blonde popstar. And it is yet another great song.

9. Bionic Woman Interlude 3/5

This is just a cute little interlude that leads you into the awesome song "Crash And Burn Girl"

10. Crash And Burn Girl 4/5

A great dance song that is again very well crafted by Robyn. Its definitely one that I play more than once :)

11. Robotboy 5/5

A beautiful slow song that is so simple and beautiful. One of my all-time favorite songs by Robyn ever.

12. Eclipse 5/5

A very sad song about being in love with someone who was once in love with you but no longer feels the same "there's an eclipse in your eyes, where your heart used to be". A sad but beautiful song

13. Should Have Known 4/5

This song is about having something wrong done to you, when all the signs were in front of your face. Its a simple song but still beautiful. Plus she drops the f-bomb quite a few times :)

14. Anytime You Like 5/5

Kind of a lackluster way to end such a hyper, energetic, fast-paced CD but it still doesn't take away from the fact that it is a beautiful song. Great music and vocals by Robyn yet again.

All in all this is yet another album from the musical genius that is Robyn, it is full of songs that will never become outdated and is absolutely worth the £8.99. Hooray for Robyn. :)
on 15 June 2007
with the exception of the last couple of tracks ( which are a bit boring) this is an awesome pop record with some great production from Kleerup and the knife. highlights are; 'with every heartbeat'- a fantastic euphoric dance pop song with a gorgeous string section. 'Konichiwa bitches'- which is just insane! and non-slushy ballad 'eclipse' just buy it man!
on 2 January 2015
good tunes well good
on 4 September 2007
I have a varied taste on music, I listen to anything as long as its well written and sounds good. From hip hop to nu jazz, if its good i'll listen to it.

Robyn, well, the current track that is out, every heartbeat is a lovely tune, Kate Bush-esq voice is dreamy and so i thought the CD was sure to please... But how wrong I was to find that every track is TRYING to be something its not, the first few she seems to wanna be a rapper, and the last few she sings lullaby-like songs, all of which have bad lyrics and. not saying that the songs themselves do not stand out, but they just do not quite cut it as a good set of songs...

I am not someone who would usually say a bad word about a CD, but thanks to amazons returns system, the CD was back in the post the next day, and the money back in my account ready to buy something that my ears will appriciate...

This is of course my opinion only...

nick