Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Learn More Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 16 April 2007
Sometimes you're there at the "beginning". You hear a name on the grapevine or stumble onto a Myspace page and hear of a band months in advance of anything being given an official release. Other times you somehow miss out, not hearing anything until the release has hit the shops and you just sit there with a "how the hell did I miss this until now."

As you might have gathered, putting this album in the player led to the second of those two responses. It's so good it makes me wonder where I've been all their life.

The rich seam of pop influences that Lucky Soul mine are clear for all to see; a little bit of soul, a dash of brit-rock, a healthy dollop of Phil Spector and a nice dressing of Mowtown. And yes, at times it might all seem a little too familiar, but the band seems to be having so much fun with their sound that it's almost impossible not to share it.

Add Your Light to Mine, Baby starts the album off on a particularly high note, and it has plenty of company with the likes of One Kiss Don't Make a Summer, My Darling Anything and the title track The Great Unwanted. All may have to bow down to Get Outta Town though; I don't think I've heard a better pop record than that all year.

As I alluded to earlier, it's not the most original album you'll ever hear and some critics have gone as far as to label it a mere "pastiche" record. But if it is pastiche, at least its a knowing and mischievous one, bringing in some senses comparison to those other favourites of mine The Pipettes. And if We Are The Pipettes was the album of last summer, [...]
on 26 April 2007
If you like classic pop music, anything from 60s girl bands onwards, then this album is worth your cash. In an era of manufactured pop bands, this is a proper band or write and perform their own tracks.

The singer sounds a lot like Sarah Cracknell, and some of their tracks have an early Saint Etienne-ish feel to them, but they don't try for the ironic angle. A great album to listen to through the summer...
on 28 April 2007
I agree with the other reviews. Loads of summer sounding, cheery, frothy pop - and did I mention the great, addictive choruses and the sugar high melodies?

There's something about an indie big band sound that works. I've bought this and the Mark Ronson 'Versions' CD in the last couple of weeks and they hit the same spot. But I'd add Swing Out Sister and even a soupcon of McFly into the mix as well.

Buy it for those early summer barbecues before heading out for the evening. And enjoy!
on 8 July 2007
This album is full of fresh sounding happy pop songs. I'm suprised I hadn't heard of this band before I saw them support Bryan Ferry, where they played a really great acoustic set, it was the set they played which convinced me to buy the album and I'm not at all dissapointed.

If you like fresh happy summer music this album is most definately worth buying!
on 4 August 2010
Every track's a cracker. This is beautiful, formulaic soul-pop but only up to a point - there are also elements of understatement and unpredictability that make Lucky Soul's appeal go a lot deeper.I have to hide this CD from myself otherwise I'd listen to nothing else.
on 10 March 2009
A great album. The songs grow with every listen. Somehow it's very kitch and modern at the same time. A must buy!