Customer reviews

on 2 December 2016
I have used these in the military and they are indeed mighty fine pieces of kit but the one I purchased through Amazon for personal use was a very poor example. So poor it had to be returned as it was not fit for purpose. Not properly sealed so half the fluid had leaked out. An item of this condition should not have been dispatched in the first place. I need one of these for jungle navigation so have sourced one elsewhere, albeit at additional expense.
review image
on 24 September 2016
There's always going to be that great debate of degrees v's mils but as an ex military man mils just reassure me with their increased accuracy. I don't tend to navigate off my compass as i like to just read the map and navigate from features but when the mist comes down and visibility is lost i always know this little baby will keep me on track or triangulate accurately when lost. When in doubt trust your bearing and not that internal compass of yours that's constantly thinking it knows best.
on 8 July 2017
Having used these for over 20 years, still the lightest, easiest to use (day or night) and robust.
on 7 March 2017
Very dependable goid at night and none of the numbers of grid finders get rubbed off
on 11 May 2017
had to return it as it was a duplicated christmas present - great compass though ...
on 19 November 2015
I bought this a couple of years ago and found it to be perfect, even on exercise. The only thing that is missing is the amazing glow you get with the issued compasses.

If you are looking for a back up compass, or just one for training by yourself to get used to Nav, while working in mils, you would struggle to go wrong with this.
on 24 February 2012
What can I say. Another fantastic compass from Silva. The long base plate is just the right lenght for lining thought on a map. The facility of both Mils and degrees gives me other uses but at the same time allows me to teach my partner and step daughter more about navigation and takes me back to my forces days.
Easy to use, good romers of differant scales clearly marked and even a differant coloured lanyard so It can easly be identified from my degress compasses at a glance. The ilumination on the base plate and needle work well in the dark. Only slight draw back and I mean slight is the degrees are a little hard to read.
on 13 July 2014
For a supposedly military model it's not very sturdy. Didn't last 2 weeks on exercise before developing large air bubbles. Several other people on the exercise with the same model had the exact same problem.
on 14 August 2011
This is a specialist piece of kit with the main reading in Mils that would be unsuitable for teaching beginners to navigate with and is not really necessary for the average hill walker for whom degrees are entirely adequate. It's called "Militaire" for a very good reason!
Having taught my son to navigate in degrees using a conventional compass I bought him this one as he plans to join the Army and will need to be familiar with navigating in mils. Like any Silva Compass it is excellent with all the necessary scales etc plus a good long edge for setting course between two points. Although the main (outer) reading is in Mils there is also an inner graticule in degrees. My son has quickly adopted to it and I quite like using it too.
It's well made, robust and easy to use with gloves on. In the right hands very accurate navigation is possible but of course in that respect its only as good as the person holding it!
on 21 October 2016
Pointless piece of kit, and falsely advertised. I ordered following the fact it states 6400 and the images where all with mils. It arrived and it was all in degrees, which is useless to my needs.

If you need to work in Mils, avoid this like the plague

See one answered question