on 19 April 2012
I bought these a couple of months ago having decided that I would use my mountain bike for my daily commute. I wasn't getting enough use out of my bike on the trails and did most of my miles on the road so it made sense to change the tyres rather than continue to struggle with slow rolling MTB tyres. The difference was immediate and dramatic. They are super-fast and pedaling up the local hills is just so much easier. Coming down them again is a blast too!
After a trip out a few days ago, I pulled a 1 inch length of wire out which had become embedded in the rubber. The anti-puncture enhancements of these tyres is really excellent. I'm sure I'd have had a flat on 'normal' tyres.
Word of caution though, they are genuinely useless off road as you might expect. Did a trip along a canal towpath last weekend and in a couple of muddy sections the bike was all over the place! But if you're going to be just on the roads, and you have 26" wheels, these little beauties will serve you well. I thoroughly recommend them.
on 30 July 2010
I ride the beautiful lanes of West Wales, not the kindest road conditions especially during the Winter (weather) or early Summer (hedge-cuttinng). These BARGAIN tyres have made a massive difference to my riding! Compared to the semi-slicks and knobbly tyres i used, these Schwalbe's make the bike fly and save me a huge amount of work!! No probs with punctures after three months of almost daily riding. Grip is fine. I recommend these whole-heartedly.
on 22 November 2010
Not had any punctures since fitting these a month ago - before I had 3 punctures in a fortnight. Also average speed has gone up by a few MPH over my nobbly tyres so overall I'm a happy bunny. Came promptly too.
on 30 March 2011
great value for money, minutes to fit and improve road resistance compared to knobblies, but if you think you can fly down the road and take a sharp turn onto a muddy embankment without ending up on your arse....think again!...oops.
buy them though you'll not be dissapointed
on 17 May 2008
These tyres are a must for those who don't spend all their time riding off road in mud or on very rough surfaces. If you mainly ride on roads, tracks or canal paths, you really should get a pair of these. The difference they make on road is really incredible - if you are used to knobbly tyres you won't believe the transformation they make until you try! I used to have some semi-slicks on my bike before these, which were an incredible improvement over the knobbly tyres it came with. But these are even better!

They inflate to 85 psi, which means rolling resistance is minimised. Only the central 20mm or so of the tyre makes contact with the road, the remainder of the tyre 'air cushion' is used to absorb shock. Their responsiveness - particularly their ability to very quickly steer around potholes - is remarkable. The ride will obviously feel hard if you are used to low pressure off-road tyres, but it's a worthwhile trade-off. I never use my lower gears since getting these, as I can maintain greater velocity so much easier. 17mph is quite an easy speed to maintain on a smooth level road, and I'm only a 'fair weather' cyclist on a pretty modest old bike. Trust me, your MTB will fly.

They grip well, and very importantly offer puncture resistance. I would never go back to tyres without this feature now.

I haven't had mine for long enough to comment on durability, but by all accounts they last very well and I have no reason to doubt this. The price is reasonable in any case, and I will be seeking out some more when the time comes.

I wish everyone knew just how much better their MTB would ride on hard surfaces on these tyres! Get a pair.
88 Comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 December 2011
Ok you have a mountain bike or a hybrid like me and use your bike on the road to get to work. Your tyres are chunky and you spend more energy than other bikers on the road. Everyone seems to be over taking you. What's wrong? Well to my surprise it was the tyres. Thinner the tyre the faster you can go on road. Changed my chunky tyres from 2" to these 1.5" and what a difference. Made no difference to the looks of the bike but the speed yes! Want to go even thinner now love the increase in speed. P.s. Price only gets you 1 tyre.
on 31 January 2011
I've got these tyres on both my bikes and they are the best you can buy. Don't waste your money on anything else, and they are a bargain on Amazon at around £20 a pair. The back tyres last for around 2000 miles, the front ones last a lot longer. They really are fantastic, not sure how well they roll as where i live is all hills, which makes it hard to tell. I ride a mountain bike and on the level I find it easy to maintain 18mph, i just wish i had more levle road to cycle on. In these hard times you need value for money and these give you that, and the puncture protection works so well, not a gimmick, it really does work. Buy them, you will not regret it!
on 10 September 2012
I was told by a friend that these tyres made a noticeable difference compared to off road tyres when riding on road or cycle tracks. I fitted them and went on a 50 mile trip...........wow the difference was dramatic. I would guess it is about 15% to 20% easier to pedal. Great product but you have to inflate them 60+ psi and they give a more harder ride, otherwise it would have been 5*
on 14 November 2012
What can I say? Purchased yesterday (13/11/2012) and received today (14/11/2012) using free delivery which was rather brilliant. Thanks to Amazon and Citylink for a speedy delivery (was expecting them to arrive over the weekend).

As for the tyres. Not fitted yet as I am awaiting the innertubes (my original 26" innertubes did not fit so purchased a pair of 26 x 1.5/2.1 tubes from eBay). The quality is great. It looks like to be exceptional quality rubber and has a solid structure to them, the walls seem to be tough too. I shall update this part once they are fitted.

The purpose of the tyres is to replace a much heavier and wider Maxxis Holy Roller, which themselves are fast but hoping I can get a faster overall speed with these tyres (commuting from home on a mountain bike).

This review was really to thank both Amazon and Citylink for a fast delivery and once the tyres are fitted, I shall update this review.

--Update--

Having tested the tyres in the wet, these are exceptional and well worth the price. I've found already it adds 2/3mph on compared with the Maxxis Holy Rollers so in the dry I fully expect the overall speed to increase by 5mph. It doesn't get your trousers as mucky as well I have found. What else can I say? These are high value tyres and are worth every penny. Thanks to Amazon, Citylink and other reviewers whose reviews helped me to by these tyres.
on 1 July 2010
As a returner to cycling after many, many years and cycling five miles to work three times a week on hilly country lanes, I was recommended to put these on my mountain bike as an alternative to the knobblies on it. Absolutely brilliant, big reduction in both rolling resistance and vibration. More directional responsiveness/nervousness. A big improvement. We will test the puncture resistance when hedgecutter season starts. ;)