Format: DVD|Change

on 2 July 2007
I have purchased this new edition of Xena:Warrior Princess Complete Series 1 and 2, and I am very glad that I did! The episodes are finally in the right order: the series 1 boxset contains all 24 of season One episodes, and in the right order! It is a delight to witness Xena and Gabrielle's adventures at the early years of their travels together.

Very recommended!
on 1 July 2007
I did not watch this first time around on UK tv as could not get the channels that were showing it, however over the last 2 years I have collected the box sets and watched these but they are now quite hard to find so am glad they have released this version.

I would highly recommend this series as there are some excellent episodes, the main appeal to the series for me is Xena and Gabriell's relationship and how this grows and evolves through the series, there are 6 series all together and I've not yet watched the last, but have been told by friends that it is excellent. There are also some very funny episodes and some that will really make you think about life in general.

Another reviewer commented on the last box sets and how series one, volume I, had some episodes repeated on the volume II box set, I hope this is sorted as I have recently realised that I now have episodes missing, however watching it at the time I did not notice.

I hope you enjoy the hours of entertainment but make sure you have the next box sets ready as there are many great cliff hangers at the series finale, that you'll want to know what happens next.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 May 2016
I love Xena. I can only give the complete series 5 stars, though the latest episodes were a bit bland. But Xena is Xena, and a warrior princess deserve no less. A product of the 90's, if you were not around to watch it the first time, I recommend you get the series... Never a dull moment and if you like badass lasses, this is for you.... but hey, there is also a soft side to Xena.
Well, what more to say... I am a fan!
on 25 July 2007
I gave the new boxsets (uk ones) 5 stars just because its XENA and nothing else there are yet again no extras for the uk dvds so whats the point in releasing them again

i purchased all six seasons in collectors case plus the anniversary boxset (R1) for £90 from ebayy these are the far superior these r1 dvds have just about every xena behind the scenes and making ofs plus all other extras you can imagine

so go for the R1 dvds instead thats if you are a true xena fan
on 16 July 2013
This region 2 DVD boxset is OK, the episodes are in the right order, the picture quality is fine. It's good to go back to the '90s and see the adventures of a woman who is an antidote to soppy princesses - a woman with natural authority. On the downside, the DVDs do not have any subtitles. I don't mind the lack of features because I rarely get round to watching those anyway. However, I do like to turn down the sound at night, as the walls in this house seem to be made of cardboard (headphones broke the audio completely in the old TV set!) For anyone with hearing difficulties, this would be useless. Bad show, Universal Playback!
the season of the show on dvd that is, since it was released in two half box sets last time. For those of you who came in late: this is a fantasy show about xena, warrior princess out to atone for past bad deeds by doing good ones, and how she travels around with her friend gabrielle, a bard, doing just that. Often comedic in tone, tongue in cheek, and occasionally really rather serious, a hugely entertaining show.

This collects the entire first season of twenty four episodes, and has four a disc, and six discs in total. This does appear to be a bit of a rush effort, as there's no direct scene access, no blurbs on the box in regard to each individual episode, it contains a trailer from the company for 'tv classics to video' [and not to dvd?!?] and the only extras are two photo galleries.

but what the heck. the episodes are in the right order. and in one box set. so it's worth having.
on 17 October 2015
Great show but beware that the episodes are in the wrong order on the discs. Disc 2 repeats two of the episodes on disc 1 and then includes what should be the final episode in the series. When Universal put these discs together, they clearly made a complete mess of it. Perhaps Amazon aren't aware of this.....I'm just hoping it doesn't happen again in series 2!!!
on 19 January 2013
Unfortunately it transpires that NOT all region 1 have the extras. This one only has subtitles. So from that point of view I am very disappionted. Ensure that the information about the DVD's states it is 7 discs. If only 5 dics THERE ARE NO EXTRAS. Thankfully I have only dupilcated one series. If I had been able to buy this from a shop I would have returned it. So my advice is if Amazon do not give enough information on the product go to another site, some of the other sites I now know give more information.
However that aside I love the series and enjoy watching, but will replace it as soon as I find one WITH THE EXTRAS.
on 4 September 2015
Xena is a television masterpiece. There's something about it... when I watch it I become convinced that this is the pinnacle of all human achievement. Every scene is carefully balanced, finely tuned, and mesmerising. I find myself watching, re-watching, showering, watching some more. I marvel as scantily clad women fight, their mini-skirts billowing as they somersault and wrestle each other. I nod in contemplative approval at sweating thighs, beating bosoms and enormous swords.

I'd watch Lucy Lawless scissor-kick her way onto a horse every day for the rest of my life and die a happy man.

Rather bafflingly my girlfriend didn't enjoy this.
on 5 February 2012
In a time when women on television and cinema were either portrayed as greedy divas (e.g: Dynasty, Dallas, Bold and Beautiful), or as romantic devices for action movie heroes, came a character that redefined viewers perception of women on television.

She was Xena, a character who appeared on Hercules's first season and eventually got such a good reception that her quest for redemption became a six season success.

Personally I think it was a good thing that the show was syndicated and was not the sole property of a main tv channel (ABC, FOX, NBC or CBS) because with the way that the show mixed both comedy and drama - or either veered in one of those directions for a few episodes - I don't think the mainstream channels would have known how to promote this show, which is what happened to Twin Peaks and Human Target who lasted no more than a few seasons unfortunately. Worse, they would have turned it into a more conventional tv show.

Back to Xena, the first season of this dvd is presented in Dolby 5.1, which is a great way to better experience the surroundings of Xena's adventures around Greece, though this sound quality has not been kept in the newer releases made by Universal, which has neither 5.1 sound system nor the special features of the first dvd release. As for the special features in the first DVD release, we have a series of screensavers and xena chronicles with which we can play a quiz asking questions about the adventures in Xena's first season. Personally, those special features are not bad. But it would have been nice to have had some of the promotional spots used for the release of Xena, commentaries from the creators, casting videos of the actors, bloopers on the show, and even the hercules episodes that introduced the Xena character. But anyway, this doesn't changed my satisfaction for this first season, which introduced to us the main characters of this show (xena, gabrielle, Ares, Callisto, Joxer, Autolycus, Salmoneus, the amazons) and their wonderful personalities, in an episodic structure that involved one adventure for each episode, along with some recurring one whose stories either continued or came to an inevitable conclusion.

As for the video quality, the show was apparently shot on 16 mm for the first few seasons and on this season, the image quality of the first eleven episodes are not at the top of the quality game. Though this improves after the first seventeen episodes and for the following seasons, the images have a bit of grain that may annoy some people. Of course the cgi effects on this season may look dated to the recent innovations on Spartacus, Lost and the last Xena seasons, but with the time constraints and their focus on their storytelling instead of their visual effects, Xena's story was a real treat for viewers all around the world and continues to exist even a decade after its final season.

The soundtrack by Joseph LoDuca was a pleasure to listen to and added the right emotions to the story and the characters' actions; while the stunts and the New Zealand landscapes used for the show made Xena's quest an epic event for viewers to experience.

Finally, of the episodes that I watched, my least favourite was the thirteenth episode since this episode was more of a best-of (something that I am not always fond of) that summarised the most important incidents of the first twelve episodes, along with excerpts from Kubrick's Spartacus (quite an irony considering Lucy Lawless's recent show on Spartacus). But my favourites were the following episodes: Episode 6 (Ares's first episode), episode 10 (the Amazons first episode), episode 15 (Xena pretending to be a princess who looks just like her), episode 17 (Bruce Campbell as Autolycus), episode 20 (for its great twists), episode 22 (Callisto's first episode), and episode 24 (where Xena and Gabrielle are in the stands healing people instead of fighting at the front of the war).

See you next season.