on 27 April 2017
Love Jean-Michel Jarre. Lovely cd.
on 9 May 2007
I still consider myself a true fan of Jarre's, but I truly feel he has lost his way since Metamorphoses, and while this is a partial return to form, there is still a considerable distance to cover before Jarre wins my full respect in him as an artist.

I have to say that I find it incredible how many five star ratings there have been for this album - without wanting to sound harsh, that's just blinkered fan-boy optimism in my opinion. It's far too simplistic in its overall tone to be hailed as a work of genius, especially as it is rather lacking when it comes to the quality of compostition that I've come to expect of Jarre - this was my first real gripe with the album, and it still remains the case. He really could have done so much better - as it is the album feels like it was rushed, with very little care involved.

The same was true of 'Geometry Of Love' - a work of staggeringly cold banality. But at least 'Téo & Téa' has a spark of zest about it. But that alone does not a great album make - a truly great Jarre album has heart, and there is precious little of that in evidence here. Also, much of the instrumentation he has used sounds cheap and nasty, with out-of-place samples dotted about unnecessarily. Too many of the songs sound dreadfully sparse from a compositional point of view, something I am not particularly keen on. Minimalism is not what has been employed here, rather a lack of ideas or inspiration. At times the album is just plain ordinary, and calling it 'bland' would be doing it a kindness. But on occasions it does partly redeem itself - the title track and 'Vintage' for me are the two key standouts, and though fairly sparse in structure or depth, they do have a tremendous appeal. The title track alone is at least a return to Jarre's more energetic works of old, even if the melody is somewhat lacking. The same applies to 'Vintage', probably by far the best track on the album, and while it is yet another 'dance' influenced number, it posseses an aching beauty to its melodic core that I've not felt from Jarre's music since some of Metamorphoses' more haunting melodies. That said, this album is far from comparable to 'Meta' or indeed 'Zoolook' - now THERE was evidence of a true pioneering genius; 'Zoolook' is simply a standard of quality that this album couldn't even hope to attain.

Sounding oftentimes far too cheesy and out-dated, 'Téo & Téa' is probably the most difficult of Jarre's albums I've ever had to classify, insomuchas whether I like it, love it, hate it or merely tolerate it. But despite my initial misgivings regarding its cheap and tacky sheen, there has been something about the album that keeps me listening again and again at the moment.

'Like' almost seems a strong word to employ at present, but it has something I can't really put my finger on. 'Téo & Téa' isn't an awful album, it's merely an okay album, and I really do expect something more fulfilling from Jean-Michel Jarre next time. (...)
33 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 29 March 2007
Those of you expecting an album like so-called "classic" Jarre should probably move along, because this most certainly is not it. It is more, however, like 2003's Geometry of Love or the more experimental Sessions 2000. Whether this is a good or bad thing is very much open to interpretation. I happen to (mostly) like it so far.

It certainly isn't an unalloyed triumph, but it's no disaster either. Musos will complain that his use of instrumentation is no longer as imaginative as it was; maybe this is true but perhaps Jarre's own needs have moved on, with contemporary kit giving him the palette he wants.

The major complaints I've seen about this album are that it is too derivative and too dancy. This is partly true, it does have a much more aggressively dancy, clubby feel than other work of his, not that it will make any difference in the UK, which now is not a major market for him any longer really (this album will struggle to do Top 20 business here).

Tracks like Teo & Tea itself and Chatterbox remind me a little of Zoolook-era tracks like Zoolookologie (one of my favourite JMJ pieces) and the 'Moon Machine' B-side. Melancholic Rodeo has vague tinges of things from as far back as Deserted Palace. Even as far back as Equinoxe, dance was firmly at the forefront of JMJ's thinking so this is not as much of a jump as some might think, it is just the environment has changed.

If someone else had released this, how would it have been received I wonder?
VINE VOICEon 30 May 2007
Téo & Téa is Jarre's first album of original music since 2004, a concept-driven piece dealing with a love story between two cartoon who meet, fall in love and spend a single day together.

The 13-track CD is a ragbag of styles, revisiting everything from Massive Attack-style trip-hop (In the Mood For You) to 80s pop (Chatterbox) to drag-queen 70s disco (the appropriately-named Vintage). There's an overlong, though nicely bluesy solo on Melancholic Rodeo, but elsewhere handclaps and clunky drum machines bring back some of your worst dancehall nightmares and Jarre's missis Anne Parillaud gives Donna Summer an orgasmic run for her money on Beautiful Agony.

It's difficult to see who Jarre's audience are these days. Early reaction to Téo & Téa from long-time fans has shown that some feel let down by its "untypical" content while fans of contemporary electronica may view it as little more than a retro curiosity.

by Clare O'Brien, Subba-Cultcha.com
on 7 June 2007
Mmmmm, Well I've had this CD since the day it came out and having been a Jarre fan since the mid 80's I have to say there's only a couple of tracks on this latest offering I actually really enjoy. Vintage and the dance long mix of teo and tea. The rest is found somewhat wanting.

Modern Jarre or just bland Jarre? Now I actually like techno but I personally dont think Jarre has to go down this route ! I much more prefer the old skool Jarre sound and If I wanna listen to techno I'll stick on a Scooter or a Sash CD.

I have to say that if you miss the old skool sound of Jarre like myself check out a couple of Jarre sounding ablums such as last year's excellent Enigma A Posteriori CD or Mike Oldfields 1994 gem the songs of distant earth! In my humble opinion these ablums COULD have been Jarre albums of old but he's going through a mid life crisis now and trying too hard in my opinion to stay new and fresh.....but you know what Jean Michel.....IF IT AIN'T BROKE.DON'T FIX IT!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 June 2010
When I first listened to `Teo and Tea', my initial response was "Oh my God, Jarre's gone techno!" But then, it just got better and better with some inventive takes on contemporary sounds.

Indeed, the CD has some imaginative background support sound to add to the lustre of the main set. Thus, `Fresh News' has that of a reporter on the TV news; `Touch to Remember' features what euphemistically can be described as someone experiencing the `divine spasm'; and `Partners in Crime' sounds like a soundtrack to a heist movie with the sound of burning in the background and even a Bond-style guitar. The tracks `Gossip' and `Chatterbox' also have aural supports to heighten atmosphere. `Melancholic Rodeo' has some interesting harmonics, as the `guitar' wails and cries to distant supporting `strings' over an incongruous rhythm.

The title track itself is very `Big-Brother' in its scope and intention, Jarre once again capturing the zeitgeist. But after all the frenzy, we can take time out to chill during `In the Mood for You', but it's quickly back to the dance floor for some more breathless rhythms. For sure, there are some duff tracks: for example, `OK, Do It Fast' does little and goes nowhere, as does `Vintage'

My favourite track, though, is the aforementioned `Touch to Remember': six minutes of faux but effective divided strings, over which a synthetic voice chants the title along with other snips such as "R U an Angel?", although I'm still none the wiser for knowing the meaning of "I M U R Y".

My copy came with an additional DVD featuring an animated sequence of the title track. I like how the skyscrapers act like volume columns on a mixing desk. And hasn't the animated Mr Jarre got stubby fingers!
on 11 October 2007
"Téo & Téa" is Jean Michel Jarre's first album of entirely new material since "Geometry of Love" (2003). As someone who enjoyed both that album and "Sessions 2000" before it, I was interested to see what new directions Jarre would take with this one. In truth it is difficult to pin down any particular style or theme running through the album: tracks range from dance to trip-hop, ambient to simply undefinable.

The album opens very strongly with the upbeat "Fresh News" followed by the excellent title track. This latter (as well as its longer mix, the bonus track "Téo & Téa 4:00 A.M.") is easily the highlight of the album, combining the quirkiness and strong melodies we have come to love from Jarre with a catchy dancefloor beat. Much further down the tracklist, "Vintage" will straightaway remind long-time Jarre fans of Chronologie 2 & 4. Similarly, the minimalist bassline on "Beautiful Agony" is heavily reminiscent of Equinoxe 6, and its sensual vocals (provided by Jarre's wife) will certainly catch your attention - although they become more wearing after the first listening.

While there are these flashes of brilliance, however, there are also a number of tracks which are either unoriginal or unimaginative, or both. Some, though not bad in themselves, come across as highly derivative: the overuse of synth strings and clap-track in "Touch to Remember" would not sound out of place as a backing for almost any hip-hop song in the charts; the ambient "In the Mood for You" sounds like any other chill-out track. Some tracks appear to be merely filler: the uninventive two-minute "Gossip" springs to mind; "Partners in Crime, Pt. 2" sounds merely like a prototype version of Pt. 1.

Opinion has been extremely polarised on this album - as it always is on any new offering by Jarre. One of the problems is clearly that while there are a number of good tracks (and one or two great ones) there are also a number of very bland or uninspiring ones (though actually few completely awful ones). To my mind it is no surprise that the most minimalist tracks are among the most forgettable, and that the more interesting ones are those with the greatest range, depth and colour in their soundscape. Such depth, after all, is what Jarre has always excelled at.

All in all, "Téo & Téa" is a real mixture and very difficult to classify. On the whole, however, I would say that it is at least a respectable album, and if it is not Jarre's best work, neither is it his worst. As a final word of warning for those considering buying the CD+DVD version, the DVD contains no special features or visual effects to complement the audio, and so unless you particularly want the 5.1 surround experience, there is a lot to be said for buying the CD-only version instead and saving your money.
on 25 November 2012
I can see that this album sparks controversy among Jarre fans (with many favourable and many unfavourable reviews). I still think Teo & Tea is a solid piece of work, especially comparing it with some of his recent works (I don't know all of them though, being a fan of his more "vintage sound"). Yes, Teo & Tea is a good album, maybe not his best, maybe not on par with his classic works like Oxygene, Equinoxe or Chronologie, but still this album is very pleasurable to listen to, and that's what is most important in music, right? (Jarre ain't Klaus Schulze anyway) It seriously grows on you...

Teo & Tea is also quite vintage in sound. It is very modern, but not in the style of the recent electro-pop-techno. It is like a perfect bridge between the modern and the retro. Some of the tracks are more dance-oriented (the title track for example), but they are not overdone and they don't make you feel estranged. It's vintage electro-pop with cheesy melodic parts and simple, but appealing structures. My favourite tracks include "Beautiful Agony" (nice beat, great melody, the female moans are, well, a bit out of place, but it still sounds very good!), Vintage (the title says for itself, easily the best track on the album), both parts of "Partners in Crime" and "Touch to Remember". There are, however, very few less successful tracks ("Fresh News" and "Chatterbox"), which are basically just playing with samples.

Apart from that the album is very well produced. It still sounds Jarre-like, more than, say Sessions 2000 or Geometry of Love. It's just your usual, great, enjoyable Jarre album. Not as dance or techno-oriented as many think.

I read somewhere that Jarre considers this album to be a mistake. Maybe it's because of the theme - Teo and Tea, two puppet-like creatures, who meet and spend one day together. It's quite comic, but if you look at the album outside the theme, you get a very good album offering great listening experience. Apart from the idea behind the album I think Jarre has nothing to be ashamed of. IMHO, of course.
on 13 January 2009
It's really sad to see an artist fall so spectacularly from grace: its almost inconceivable that a musician who created a beautiful, timeless, ground-breaking album such as Oxygene could go on to churn out something like this. You'd think an artist would mature and become more sophisticated through the years, and not regress to producing what clearly seems to be aimed at chavs "what like to get up on the dancefloor after 10 blue WKDs".

I know that's harsh, but the moment I heard lead single Teo & Tea I couldn't help but escape the feeling that he'd basically created little more than a ring-tone hit aimed at the Crazy Frog generation of music-buyers. It feels like a total betrayal of his fan-base. It's almost as though he's had a mid-life crisis and suddenly wants to "be cool with da kids" - which I guess would be OK in itself if the music was up to par...but this isn't.

There are some good ideas, but most of them are botched by the rather cheap, cheesy, nasty, unpolished production. There are admittedly some good tracks: Vintage is, as the title suggests, vintage Jarre and is an addictive and exuberant slice of dancefloor magic (possessing something that the titular first single sorely lacks: namely, a melody!). Partners in Crime is an enticing and groovy Bond-esque tune, while In the Mood for You is certainly passable if not a masterpiece. Touch to Remember would have been rather lovely if it weren't for the extremely grating computerised vocalisations, which spoil an otherwise good track. Unfortunately, that's about it: most the rest of the songs I'm forced to skip. Fresh News sounds like horribly irritating and obnxoious ringtone, The totally gratuitous sexual moans render Beautiful Agony utterly cringe-worthy (if Jarre wants an example of how to incorporate such elements in a subtle and effective manner he ought to check out Enigma's MCMXC AD album). Just about all the other tracks are, in my personal opinion, obnxious, cheap, tuneless and grating - and necessitate instant skippage. The album ends with a fairly good remix of Teo & Tea which I actually find a significant improvement on the original. But it's just not enough to save an EXTREMELY patchy album, with only a couple of really good tracks and FAR too many downright unlistenable ones.

I just relistened to Jarre's Metamorphosis album and can hardly believe the two are by the same artist. Metamorphosis is everything that T&T isn't: it's inventive, upbeat, sassy, sophisticated and fun. This is just an almighty mess and frankly a 14 year old playing around with a sample sequencer on a PC could probably create better music than some of the tracks on here. I'm willing to chalk this up as just a bad day (or however long it took to create) at the office for Jarre. I sincerely hope he returns to his roots and produces something worthy of his name and not cheap, horrible ringtone music like this. (I also hate having to write such a negative review, please don't flame me - this is just how I personally see it and I don't like feeling like this believe me!)
on 3 April 2007
Similar to many of the other reviews of this album - Im still a bit unsure about how I feel about this album. True, its been a long-time coming and True it isnt Oxygene or Equinoxe.. .but here we are changing with the times and appealing to a wider audience.. .and that might be the point.... has it all gone a bit too comercial now.. I could easily imagine most of the tracks being used in the clubs, or during exercise classes, simply because of the catchy rhythms.

I played the CD for my kids, 5yr old and 11yr old, both of which enjoyed it at different levels. I used this as an excuse to get all my old Jarre albums back out and play them along side Girls aloud and Now 66!! BUT, here we have Jarre appealing to a new generation. Any artist who can keep going for 30years and appeal to new audiences deserves some recognition.

I guess it really is time to move with the times, the past is the past and the contributions Jarre made to Modern music will not be over shaddowed by the lack of acceptance of this album by some hard core fans...

Some good tunes, clever use of some interesting noises and it grows on yo!!! The additional sound effects on Beautiful Agony were unnecessary, Sorry JMJ. Ok, Do it Fast - Magnetics Fields on Speed!! But good (Mag fields was my 1st JMJ album, so a winner for me!). Chatterbox - good, but I felt compelled to start breakdancing - im a bit old for that now, home-boy. Gossip - dont think this was a complete track in its own rite - this one was my least favorite!

Gotta say - disappointed with DVD. I dont have a 5.1 sounds system or HD TV - but I expected a little more moving images !!!

All that said, but it!! You will enjoy it, and you can sell it to a new generation!