on 2 November 2008
The kundalini sequence is wonderful, and Maya is a great teacher. However after the first couple of times, I found the background music to be a little distracting. I think this is because it consists of songs with words, rather than just music, which would be far more appropriate for yoga practice.
on 22 March 2016
It is nice to do this workout because it is something completely different. It also differs from traditional yoga. The mantras and breath work exercises left me feeling very 'stimulated'... it was great. The initial warm up of mainly the spine, left my back feeling loose and ache-free. Though I would warn people who have a serious back issue to take these exercises slowly and carefully to find out if they are safe for you.

The whole workout is seated on a mat. There is a sequence where you do exercises one after another and you do build up a sweat, not a major one, but you still do and this is the detox aspect.

I am so chilled out. My shoulders are free of tension, my muscles are loosened - especially my back - and relaxed and I am breathing freer. Mentally, I feel uplifted and relaxed at the same time. It's wonderful! and I truly recommend giving this DVD a try because it leaves you feeling great!
on 18 January 2016
Love Maya's cd's. This was the first one of hers I purchased, I now have another 2, the mantras. I had been ill, and was taking weeks to get back to normal, I was abnormally tired and listless. I suspected it was due to adrenal fatigue, because of chronic stress and lack of sleep, as I had been caring for elderly relatives for 5 years straight. From the first time I did a session with this cd, my energy levels markedly improved. The improvement wasn't lasting, in the first week or so I had to do it daily, as my energy would drop if I didn't. Now 2 months after I bought it, 2 to 3 times a week is all I do, I mix it up with her other cd's. I do it because I love the way it makes me feel afterwards. I recommended this one to my brother who has fairly severe long term health issues. He also raves about it.
on 16 February 2017
Dvd is faulty and do not work at all, so i had to buy new one..Seller shoudnt be selling Faulty items...x
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 April 2012
I bought this after reading the excellent and comprehensive reviews on Amazon (particularly JM Bunting's review which I found very inspiring). What was the worst that could have happened? I would have wasted the monetry equivalent of a pastry and glossy mag.

I have had this for a while now and used it as an introduction to Maya Fiennes and Kundalini Yoga. Until recently, I hadn't used this DVD for a wee while but I am drawn back to it again. I have been using the chakras series and mantras (I have completed separate reviews for those) and have seen real improvements in my mental wellbeing. However, I started to feel good and became complacent and stopped using the DVDs. I gradually began to start feeling like I used to: grumpy, irritable and more stressed. I decided that Kundalini had to become part of my life again.

Now I'm back 'on the wagon' I feel compelled to complete this DVD every morning before I get on with the day. This morning, for example, I woke up the wrong side of the bed but did the DVD anyway. Weirdly, despite my initial bad mood, I am feeling better, progressively as the day goes on (must be the Kundalini rising!).

When I first did this DVD I found it challenging but not insurmountable. I am OK sitting cross-legged but some may find that uncomfortable. In that case, use a cushion/prop and stick with it. I can't touch my toes (long-limbed, overweight and inflexible) but I have improved over time. Improvements will come quickly and you will surprise yourself.

I can't remember the exact order but here are some examples of exercises:

Warm up:
Spine mobilising exercises e.g. sitting cross-legged and moving upper body in circular motion & hands on shoulders moving from side to side with momentum.
Neck Rolls
Pushing cupped hands from torso to outstretched sides (tough but stick with it!)

Kriyas:

Breath of Fire (rapid breath through nostrils): I couldn't do this at first but quickly progressed. You also do mouth breathing which produces a cold sensation.

Modified Cow pose: on all fours bringing bent leg to chest in time with head raises up and under body to meet knee. Should be performed rythmically in time to music.

Bridge: moving rythmically from back on floor (knees bent) and lifting pelvis hips off floor.

Meditations:

Left hand on kidneys with right hand outstretched and 60o while chanting 'har'.

This list is not exhaustive as Maya packs in a lot into a 1 hour session. Most poses are in Easy Pose (Cross-legs) but some will require legs outstretched straight in front (I modify this as I find this tricky).

At first you may think to yourself, 'I can't do this' and, while some people with chronic health problems will need to exercise some caution, in most cases you will progress quickly and surprise yourself.

I always feel better for doing this DVD and it has made me a calmer person. Also, since starting my Kundalini journey, I have found that I very rarely suffer from Panic Attacks and Anxiety (they were debilitating to the extent that I could not leave the house unaccompanied). Even when I had a Kundalini sabatical, I found the anxiety attacks were less prevalent.

Therefore, in my opinion, it is definitely worth a try as it could have amazing results. If you want Warrior pose, forget it, but if you want to open your heart to something more enriching then give it a try. The worst things that can happen is that you don't like it and, in that case, you can give it to a friend who will be eternally grateful as mine have been.
on 29 November 2012
I am a single mother of 2 and I have sickle cell anaemia, an inherited blood disorder that often causes me to be in crippling pain for days at a time. I love going for long meditative walks when I'm strong enough, but the cold can be very discouraging as it can bring about painful crisis. I bought an exercise bike to eliminate the excuse of cold weather, and while I did use it, over the past couple of months it has gradually become a glorified clothes horse and is, as I write being used to dry my bath towel. I bought this DVD on recommendation by a friend, and was further assured of how good it is by the reviews of others here before me. Even so, I still didn't take it out of its packaging til about 3 weeks later and even then, the first time I put it in to my DVD player it was just to be able to tell my friend I'd 'followed' it. Well, it was hard not to take part and before I knew it I was doing the whole thing on my bed. I was unable to complete some of the exercises, but I'd say I got through about 85% of it. I got so into it, that I soon found myself on the floor in my room on all fours in I think what is called kat-kow position?! I actually look forward to exercising now. This is coming from someone who has had a pilates DVD sat by my bedside for the past 6 months gathering dust (I also have a Barbara Curry yoga DVD that has sat firmly on the shelf for the past 4/5 years). If I had only known of this DVD before purchasing my bike, I'd have a lot more space in my room and a bit more money in the bank.

The thing about sickle cell is the limited ability of the red blood cells to mobilise oxygen throughout the body, so this kind of yoga is brilliant, as much of the focus is the breath and the exercises are gentle enough to strengthen and tone without crisis being an outcome. Thus far I'm on week four and I do Maya's DVD 3-4 times a week, but I now want to try adding a couple more days where I just do the warm up. I don't really have weight to lose, so I can't comment on that, but what is important is that I am dedicating time to my personal self developement. What I can say is, that I have much more energy and climbing the stairs no long has my legs screaming for mercy while I fight to get my breath back.

Spirituality is an important aspect of my life; I had been wanting to strenghten my body and also give more focus to meditation and this covers both of those needs as well as nurtures my soul. Maya is a wonderful teacher, whose guidance is descriptive enough to follow with your eyes closed and yet doesn't drown the experience with constant talking. I love how her words of encouragement come at the right time and the reminders to 'smile' really make this the best ever exercise DVD I've ever owned. I now make a ritual of it by lighting a candle, burning incense and having some of my crystals in close proximity. I'd recommend anyone to buy and follow this DVD not just for the sake of adding a little more movement to your life, but because YOU are WORTH all the benefits that come with the journey it takes you on.

------ Update ------

Sooooo it's now about a year and 3months later and I've come back to update my review. There are other reviewers who commented on how one's fertility could be resurrected... well my reason for taking so long to write this is because a month after my initial review I fell pregnant! After having my last child 13 years ago, I was too damn stunned to do anything more than muddle through the first 3 months in a daze. I have since given birth, and for how difficult both the pregnancy and labour were, I was unable to continue with any form of exercise at all. After the birth of my son by last minute cesarean, I could barely get out of bed let alone walk anywhere and I fell into a depression. Fortunately, although I took such a big time out, my will was strong enough to have me finally put my foot down to stop myself falling any deeper into my personal abyss.

I decided to get my life back on track and start exercising again, but my health had deteriorated to the point of no longer being able to take a walk around my house let alone down the street. Everything I tried made me feel like more of a failure until I remembered I owned this DVD! Why on earth I was trying to reinvent the wheel by looking for other forms of exercise, I really do not know, but I am glad that I came back to my senses eventually. Doing it again for the first time made me cry for how much my body needed this, and also for the fact I was actually able to complete it. I finally felt like I had accomplished something for me. My husband who had been over-protective about my trying so hard to get back into exercise, actually encourages me with this as he knows it is gentle and won't have me do myself an injury by ripping my stitches or provoking a sickle cell pain episode. I'm looking forward to losing my baby belly without feeling like I'm doing more harm than good, but more importantly, I feel like I have found 'me' again. I cannot recommend this DVD highly enough, but for any women out there who do not want any more children, please do take added precaution. I thought my baby making days were over, but was gravely mistaken.

Obviously as with any course of exercise, the dedication to embark on the journey to fitness starts with you, but Maya's routine and pleasant disposition (in my opinion) make this yoga DVD a cut above the rest. Once you get started, the short and long term benefits are priceless. You owe yourself the opportunity to become a better you, and with dedication and minimal effort, this DVD will help get you there.
44 Comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 January 2015
Just completed my first time with this DVD. It is my first Maya Fiennes.

I have been under a lot of stress for several years, so was looking for something that would help me switch off and revamp my adrenals as I was concerned of the very real possibility of adrenal fatigue as I have been feeling exhausted for a while now.

The workout wasn't at all what I expected, in comparison to other yoga DVD's that I have, but I loved it. Half an hour on and my body still feel tingly and alive. It was relaxing and energizing at the same time. I actually felt disappointed when I realised that the workout was winding to an end as I felt that I would have liked more purely because I was enjoying it so much.

The CD is lovely and I have played this on the loop for most of the day.

I will definitely start the day with this for the mental and physical benefits.
on 4 May 2014
I love this DVD, and I'm not a typical yoga person. I've done Hatha yoga in the part, but due to being diagnosed with cancer, I wanted a healing yoga that would also help me have a more relaxed and positive outlook on life. This DVD does exactly that, not to mention the pain relief that I feel! I would also recommend the seller based on the efficient delivery.
This is honestly the best "workout DVD" I have ever bought or used! On e again, I'm not a typical yoga person. I usually opt for more active types of exercise, including circuits, spin, and the insanity DVD.
Other reviewers have commented on how good this DVD is, and I couldn't agree more with their comments.
I was recently diagnosed with cancer for the second time, which is causing me a high level of pain. But as soon as I've done the warm-up exercises, I feel a huge sense of pain relief, and very relaxed. I typically suffer from extremely bad headaches because of the cancer but they're honestly gone within the first 10 minutes of doing this DVD.
Maya is amazing. I love her style and the manner in which she guides you through the yoga session. She has an extremely relaxing, but well articulated manner of explaining the routine, and I don't find anything remotely fake or too 'airy fairy' about her or the DVD.
The music is fantastic too! Thee DVD also comes with a cd and I frequently listen to it when I'm in a lot of pain to relax me and calm me down.
This DVD is also perfect for people that aren't very active. It's very low intensity and I honestly think anyone could do it, no matter their age or ailments.
I can't recommend this DVD highly enough! It's perfect for people suffering from stress, pain, or struggling to find their positive mental attitude.
I wish Maya did more DVD's because I would definitely purchase them!
on 25 March 2012
I've been doing this DVD nearly every day for about 4 weeks now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an obsessive exerciser and I think I actually bought the DVD about 4 years ago so it's really not as good as it sounds! I did used to go to a yoga class once a week and wanted to go back again but couldn't really afford to and remembered I had this and thought I'd give it a shot, what a worthwhile effort!

I did it once and already felt very calm and relaxed afterwards, which was nice, though I wasn't sure if the exercises were going to be tough enough and effective enough to tone my body and help my mind but I was so very wrong!

After only a week, I was hooked on doing the DVD every day (I try to take one day off from it a week, just to let my body recover from anything it needs to recover from but I don't feel like it's suffering or in any pain) and I happily get up at half passed five in the morning, just so I can do it. After that short amount of time I really felt more mellow and the difference during the day at work was phenomenal - I felt so much more energised, especially considering I woke up so early, as long as I started the day with the yoga, I didn't spend the afternoon yawning constantly or feeling like I needed to slide under my desk for a nap, pretty much regardless of when I went to bed.

Over the next few weeks after that, I've realised that I generally feel calmer and happier during the day and for someone that's suffered for ten years of panic attacks and anxiety, I really hadn't felt like that for no reason in quite a while (not that I realised I hadn't felt like that but suddenly I was just sitting at work or making dinner and I'd be smiling and humming without even knowing why!).

Now to add to this, I seemed to be feeling more stable, emotionally and courageous because after ten years of travel anxiety and not even getting on to a plane since 2001/2002, last Friday I booked myself onto a flying lesson on a two seater plane and last Sunday off I went for an hour in the skies! I'm not saying there was no anxiety as there was a little (which I think anybody would feel) but it wasn't gut-wrenching nausea and my stomach wasn't in knots and I really think doing this DVD every day is the reason for that because nothing has made me feel courageous enough since I got the anxieties, to actually take the final step and get on a plane, never mind a tiny two-seater!

I realise that the effects of doing the Kundalini yoga will be subjective to everybody but in under a month my anxieties feel immeasurably better and I feel so grateful for having just tried doing this DVD a couple of times, otherwise I really don't know what would have got me to the very happy place I'm at now. If anyone reading this has any anxieties or stesses that they've had a hard time with, I'd urge you just to give it a go, aside from a few quid, you've got nothing to lose.

Body-wise, I'm definitely stronger and more toned which to me is just an icing on the cake after the wonderful benefits to my mental health!

Update 21/08/2013:

I had to give a little update because not only did the DVD prompt all those positive effects but it officially started a huge change in my life. After enjoying doing a nearly daily practice of the DVD last year, at the beginning of this year I signed up to yoga teacher training and have recently become a qualified yoga teacher.

A lot of the justification I had for doing the training was that if that simple, comparatively easy DVD could make such a difference to my life then I want to see if I can do the same for other people. I truly believe that had I not started doing the DVD back in 2012, that my life would be following a different path now and I'm truly grateful for every benefit I took from it and the sense of motivation and purpose it gave me. I'm not saying that this will happen for everybody but I am saying that it's worth seeing what benefits you can take from it, I promise you won't regret it!

Oh and a little P.S. part of the training was in Spain and I had nearly zero issues with the travel anxieties that had plagued me for so long when I flew over there and back - in fact I absolutely loved it!
55 Comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 May 2013
Don't get this if your idea of yoga is bouncing about athletically, you are reasonably fit and are a professional dieter. If, on the other hand, you are more like me, so full of spiritual wisdom and with head in the clouds that you haven't noticed that you have got old and fat, until you look in the mirror one day and scream, this may be for you. Indeed, this dvd comes strongly recommended by me as it is the only exercise one I have ever been able to do without getting out of bed. Not that it is for wimps. At some point, propped up on pillows and flinging my arms out to stimulate the adrenals (don't worry how this is achieved, just, as Maya says "trust the process"),I heard myself replying to her instruction of "go through the pain barrier" with a cry of " *********!!!!!!"

It totally reawakened my interest in yoga, which I was keen on back in the 1970s when only nutty meditators did it. When it went into florescent leotards and was taught in every local drill hall, I gave up. Over the years every attempt I ever made to return to exercise, jogging (remember that fad?), cycling etc all caused rapid tearing of muscles, tendons and twiddly bits, thus providing excellent excuses for abandoning them. Suffering from agonising knee pain from a Pilates machine (I should have bought it with coat hangers already attached, as a useful piece of bedroom furniture only) I bought this dvd. Within a month I had bought every dvd she has made.

If you want something that can be done without leaving the bed, floor or wheelchair, which doesn't strain the body but makes you feel fitter and somehow spiritually reconnected with yourself and the universe, I highly recommend this dvd.
22 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse